Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined 1130cc.com and haven't passed the 30 day waiting period required before being able to post in the classifieds. Since I'm not selling anything and have an eBay positive feedback score of 347, I thought I'd do an end run and see if anyone on the VRSCR forum could direct me to a smokin deal on an '06 Street Rod reasonably near Reno Nevada. By "smokin" I mean around $12,000 OTD for a new '06 (before sales tax and license) and $9000 for a used one from a private party. Color isn't important and mileage, if careful maintenance has been performed, isn't very important either. As for near Reno -- I'd travel south to San Diego or north to Portland or east to Salt Lake City for a really nice bike.

I know those price are low, but I'm not trying to be unreasonable. I gather that Cowboy HD in Austin TX has new '06s in the $12K range and I was outbid on eBay last week for one at a BMW dealership in Roseville CA that sold for $9150. If some dealers can sell them at those prices, it just makes sense than all dealers can sell them at those prices; if they are willing.

Sadly, the Street Rod appears to be the red headed stepchild of Harleydom and doesn't hold it's value for sour owl sh*t. They are even dropping out of the HD lineup for '08, making them even more of an orphan. I like 'em a lot but don't want to be holding the bag if/when it comes time to sell.

You guys who already own Street Rods probably have the best handle on where to find them than about anyone else. I would appreciate any leads or suggestions you might have. PM me or post replies.

Thanks, Bill

·
Subluxation Free
172 Posts
Hows $10500 for a new 06 sound?

You are correct. I got my 06 brand new a few months ago for 10K plus tax from a dealer!
OK in looking I found another dealer dumping their 06 VRSCRs for $10500.
But it is in Illinois. Go to the Pierce Harley-Davidson website at:
http://www.pierceh-d.com/
Click on the "Pre-Owned Inventory" and scroll down the list. You will see 2 brand-new leftover 06 Rs with no miles, waiting for sale for 10500!
Go get one!

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
WELCOME!!!
Good luck finding the one for you. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding one that fits your budget. You already mentioned Cowboys, I think they'll ship it to you.

·
Darth Veeness
2,014 Posts
Welcome to the club. Try Barnett's in El Paso Texas. I know it may be further than you want to go but they are a large volume dealership and might have some left, Good Luck finding your bike.

·
Big Dawg
705 Posts
Welcome and good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nykbob said:
You are correct. I got my 06 brand new a few months ago for 10K plus tax from a dealer!
Click on the "Pre-Owned Inventory" and scroll down the list. You will see 2 brand-new leftover 06 Rs with no miles, waiting for sale for 10500!
Go get one!

I'm on it nykbob! Submitted a request for quote on the blue one and have already received an automated reply saying they will have a sales person contact me by phone (probably tomorrow). Thanks for the excellent lead. Even with dealer fees and shipping to Nevada, it could end up within my budget.

Before I lay down my money, I'd really like to see what's available used.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tagrat said:
Welcome to the club. Try Barnett's in El Paso Texas. I know it may be further than you want to go but they are a large volume dealership and might have some left, Good Luck finding your bike.

Thanks for the welcome and the tip tagrat. I checked Barnett's and they are out of R's. The last ones sold for $12,999 with $1000 credit in accessories and another $1000 rebate, so that would be $11K (before "fees"). "Distance" for a new bike ends up being a matter of shipping cost to Nevada. If the OTD cost plus shipping fit my budget, I'm good to go. I'll have to see a used bike in person.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Both Central and Cowboy in Austin will deal if you play them against each other. Call Cowboy first....

Good Luck!

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
My dealership, Thunder Tower HD in Columbia, SC has 5 or 6 of them! There's a yellow one, a brandywine colored one, and a bunch others. I KNOW they want to get rid of them! 1-877-TOWER-HD.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NightMare said:
My dealership, Thunder Tower HD in Columbia, SC has 5 or 6 of them! There's a yellow one, a brandywine colored one, and a bunch others. I KNOW they want to get rid of them! 1-877-TOWER-HD.
Thanks, I'll call Thunder Tower. Tho if they still have that many, they may have separation anxiety issues -- over giving them up. :angeldev:

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
Looks like you've got some excellent leads here on the forum (helluva great place huh?). If you're not in a hurry and can negotiate I'll bet you find a used one in the $10,000 range. :vrodforu:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
robbwest said:
Looks like you've got some excellent leads here on the forum (helluva great place huh?). If you're not in a hurry and can negotiate I'll bet you find a used one in the $10,000 range. :vrodforu:
Yeah, it really is a great place, with great members. I haven't seen any of the endless bickering :bash: that goes on in other bike forums. That crap gets on my nerves even tho I don't get involved.

I did find a black '06 with 6K miles up in Washington state for $9750. It's a little further than I wanted to travel and depending on what kind of numbers the dealers I contacted come up with, maybe a little pricey. There's something about buying new and knowing a bike's full history that I like. Then too, there's something about saving a few bucks with a "previously owned" bike that I like as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
nykbob said:
Go get one!

Dang nykbob!!! Called Pierce HD today about the two Street Rods you pointed out on their website and Chris, the salesguy, confirmed that they are $10,500 for an out of state sale. Period. No transportation charge, no set up fee, no doc or other mystery charges. He even emailed me a Bill of Sale (sales contract) to that effect and I put a deposit down on the blue one. I'm in process of setting up delivery (looks like about $750) and getting the balance due to Pierce.

I'm stunned, thanks to everyone for the help. I'm not going away.

Bill

·
Registered
623 Posts
Man, I still owe more then that on mine that I bought in '05. Just had to have one,paid full price. Great deal Bill, enjoy and ride safe

·
Jr. Lifetime Premium
357 Posts
Just Plain Bill said:
Dang nykbob!!! Called Pierce HD today about the two Street Rods you pointed out on their website and Chris, the salesguy, confirmed that they are $10,500 for an out of state sale. Period. No transportation charge, no set up fee, no doc or other mystery charges. He even emailed me a Bill of Sale (sales contract) to that effect and I put a deposit down on the blue one. I'm in process of setting up delivery (looks like about $750) and getting the balance due to Pierce.

Bill
Nice!!! My buddy wanted the Blue one. So you are the one who got it!! NICE!!! He got the Black one. GREAT DEAL!! Enjoy it!

·
Subluxation Free
172 Posts
Just Plain Bill said:

Bill
GREAT! :dance: and Welcome.
I got my bike from another dealer in Indiana (I live in Atlanta). I was going to have it shipped and decided to take my trailer up there to get it as I had friends an hour away from the dealership.
The company they recommended for shipping the bike was www.shipyourbike.com. The price they gave me was $425, but I realize that you are further away from the dealer than I was.
Anyway, good luck. Post pictures when you get the bike.
Here's mine as I got it home.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nykbob,

I checked, and ShipYourBike changed names to EZ Transport (the link still works). Worse luck, they "only service areas Milwaukee WI / Chicago,IL toward New York and east of Alabama toward Florida".

I'd fly or take the train to DeKalb and ride back but I had shoulder surgery in July and wouldn't be able to do the long days on a bike needed for that. Besides, I'm not sure I could handle the boredom of I-80 (superslab) for 2000 miles.

I'm leaning now toward either Haul Bikes, which has specialized trucks for moving bikes, or UShip which is a middleman between you and independent truckers or trucking companies that might have open space in a truck headed your way. The advantage of UShip is that Haul Bikes sometimes bids on shipments at a better price than their published rates (on the website).

I appreciate the positive reinforcement from other R-iders. I'm sure this bike will be with me for a long time. (I still have a '78 Yamaha SR500 I rode in the 80's... and some other old things you might not be familiar with from even before that.)

Bumblebee23, tell your buddy that the blue one is going to a good home and will be well cared for. As an "older rider", I picked the blue because it's not as fast as the yellow or black ones.:D

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Congrats bro!! Glad you got a great deal on the one that you want. We R guys are a great bunch even though we are kinda sensitive at times!! lol

1 - 20 of 38 Posts