Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've tried to remember to ask riders I encounter if they look over their shoulder when about to change lanes. So many have said that they do it sometimes. Interesting that a common reason is laziness, especially in light of a discussion on a recent thread here that relying solely on mirrors is not safe. They go on to explain that they know it is the only safe technique to use. The MANYS/MSF course advocated that view. Do you do it?

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Always, even if I know there's no one there. I've been rear-ended on a bike before (at a stop sign) and I don't want that to happen while I'm actually moving.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Abso-freakin-lutely! ALWAYS! I may not do it 100% of the time when on 4 wheels, but on 2, it's a must.

·
Back in Black
212 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
Abso-freakin-lutely! ALWAYS! I may not do it 100% of the time when on 4 wheels, but on 2, it's a must.
:them:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
100% it is driving / riding 101

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
slightly off topic, but..... on a recent ride, no fewer than 3 times in a row, I was cut off in my lane by a cager moving over without looking.... yup, all three were on their cell phones....

Someone once posted this montra and I agree with it: mirrors can tell you "no", but never "go"... always look over your shoulder before changing lanes...

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,388 Posts
Always look over my shoulder .... Use the mirrors alot too, just to have an idea of what is coming up behind me.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I always look around, just have to make sure that not only no one is in the lane but make sure no one is going 150mph coming up on that lane.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
I can't count how many time I have slipped and moved over without looking, thinking there was no-one there. It scares me so bad that I always check 2 and 3 times before moving over...but somehow, I keep doing it.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
ALWAYS (I think)

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
I can't count how many time I have slipped and moved over without looking, thinking there was no-one there. It scares me so bad that I always check 2 and 3 times before moving over...but somehow, I keep doing it.
You need to do it.. make a concious effort! :spank:

Would hate to hear of you getting hurt or worse because you didn't look.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
It's hard enough using the mirrors on a DX to see anything. Not headchecking is just plain stupid.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
I do in all my cars and especially my bike. To dangerous not to with the blind spots that most of these car manufacuters cars have now days. I swear SUVs drivers need to learn how to look over there shoulder before lane changing, they seem to be the worst. I know my XC90 has horible blind spots. So just food for thought you should do this all the time make it habit!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts