Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering selling my bike in order to start a different V-Rod project and was just curious what my bike might be worth.
I know that I can't get 1/2 of what I've got into it but I am still curious what you guys think.
My bike was the BOTM winner in the VRSCA class. The description and pics are in this thread http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141593
Mine is the first bike.
You can also see more pics in my gallery. I haven't entered it in a lot of shows but I have done pretty well when I have. Among the most notable being World of Wheels Best in Class, Midwest Thunder 5 Best in Class-VRSCA, Midwest Thunder 5 Brian Raguso Fastest Stock 1130, V-Rod Riders Roundup Dyno Shootout Winner-1130.
I believe that the only items left on my bike that haven't been replaced, modified, chromed, coated or painted are the frame and motor.
I would appreciate any thoughts and comments.
Thanks
Billy

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Test Market

Set the reserve price as high as you want and list it on Ebay. You'll get a real opinion there. The problem is that you'll have to pay a little for it.

The worse thing that can happen is that you sell it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Great looking bike! I have no idea how to gage its value in this market.

List it for sale and have a bit of a cushion for negotiating to make the other party feel good. If they go below your minimum, then keep it.

I tried to sell a bike and took it down and re-posted it about 4 times over about 6-9 months. Eventually I sold it for a bit more than my minimum.

For a long time I got loosers contacting me with stupid quetsions and low ball offers. This caused me to take it off the market for a bit and continue to enjoy it. Eventually I sold it for a good price.

I would look at Ebay or Auto trader for the same model and year. List it a bit more than average due to your custom work you will never re-coup and see what happens.

Good luck.

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
or put it back to stock and sell off the bolt ons
I don't want to go through all of that. If I sell it, it would be as it is.
I toyed with the idea of stripping it down, selling off the parts and then rebuilding it but I want one of newer wide-framed bikes as a platform for my next project. Plus I think it would be more cost effective to start over since I would be replacing virtually everything but the frame and motor.

The nice thing is that I don't have to sell it and I still love the bike.

Ideally, I would like to get in the neighborhood of $12,000 but that may not be realistic in this economy. I guess the real crazy part is even at that price, I'm not I could get myself to part with it.

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great looking bike! I have no idea how to gage its value in this market.

List it for sale and have a bit of a cushion for negotiating to make the other party feel good. If they go below your minimum, then keep it.

I tried to sell a bike and took it down and re-posted it about 4 times over about 6-9 months. Eventually I sold it for a bit more than my minimum.

For a long time I got loosers contacting me with stupid quetsions and low ball offers. This caused me to take it off the market for a bit and continue to enjoy it. Eventually I sold it for a good price.

I would look at Ebay or Auto trader for the same model and year. List it a bit more than average due to your custom work you will never re-coup and see what happens.

Good luck.
Thanks for the compliment. I think one of the things holding me back on selling it the fact that I'm not sure I wan't to go through all of the crap associated with it. :banghead:
I don't think I would list it on Craigslist. I can't imagine dealing with all of the low-ballers.
At least on Ebay I could put a reserve on it and if it sells it sells. At least I would have to field all of the calls and visits from the idiots. :chair:

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
Billy, thats a beautiful bike and honestly wouldn't want to put a price on it. Best bet is to go Ebay with a reserve of the lowest price that you could live with and see how it goes.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
Billy,

I like those wheels! And the way the exhaust unclutters the back,now if the muffler was chrome :D
The seat is cool too,nicer styleing then the sundowner,is it a two piece?? The powder coated swingarm is ok,but I prefer chrome. Nice paint too.
However I couldn't even begin on trying to determine its "worth".

One thing I don't understand is,and no one take this as a put-down please..is why someone would put sooooo much time and effort,and BUCKS,into a project,to get it just as he/she would like it,then sell??
Is it the antisipation of the next project?? I'd think you'd want to ride it and show off all that hard work..but hey,thats JMHO and 2 cents.

At anyrate Bill,sweet ride and good luck!

Jim

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Set the reserve @ 12,500 If someone buys it, on to the next project.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Some are hungrier than others. It only takes 1 person to think it's the baddest V they've seen and will reach a little deeper than the bargain hunter. Start high, nothing to lose but time. Most people get nervous and take a low-ball offer way to soon.

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Billy,

I like those wheels! And the way the exhaust unclutters the back,now if the muffler was chrome :D
The seat is cool too,nicer styleing then the sundowner,is it a two piece?? The powder coated swingarm is ok,but I prefer chrome. Nice paint too.
However I couldn't even begin on trying to determine its "worth".

One thing I don't understand is,and no one take this as a put-down please..is why someone would put sooooo much time and effort,and BUCKS,into a project,to get it just as he/she would like it,then sell??
Is it the antisipation of the next project?? I'd think you'd want to ride it and show off all that hard work..but hey,thats JMHO and 2 cents.

At anyrate Bill,sweet ride and good luck!

Jim
Yes, it's a 2-piece seat. It's the Corbin Hollywood Solo.

I have put a lot of time and $ in it. :broke: And I still catch myself just looking at it sometimes. I love this bike.
I've had it for 7 years and haven't done much mod-wise for the last few years. Now that I'm a little older I am leaning more and more towards building a bagger (just for Lux :hidesbeh:). Our youngest will be in high school next year so I would like to be able do more "all day" rides with my wife. I want to build something more suitable for 2-up long hauls.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Yes, it's a 2-piece seat. It's the Corbin Hollywood Solo.

I have put a lot of time and $ in it. :broke: And I still catch myself just looking at it sometimes. I love this bike.
I've had it for 7 years and haven't done much mod-wise for the last few years. Now that I'm a little older I am leaning more and more towards building a bagger (just for Lux :hidesbeh:). Our youngest will be in high school next year so I would like to be able do more "all day" rides with my wife. I want to build something more suitable for 2-up long hauls.
I'm considering a Road Glide Ultra with a 21" front wheel... :hidesbeh: I may put Betty Boost on the auction block myself if I have to, even though I want to have both.

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm considering a Road Glide Ultra with a 21" front wheel... :hidesbeh: I may put Betty Boost on the auction block myself if I have to, even though I want to have both.
I toyed with the idea of a Street Glide but I love everything about the V-Rod platform, riding position, speed, water cooled, etc.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
I toyed with the idea of a Street Glide but I love everything about the V-Rod platform, riding position, speed, water cooled, etc.
If you ever get a chance, take a ride on FusionGrind's bike. He's done a few mods to the 96, and it has some power. I can only imagine the same mods done to the 103, and it should satisfy my need for speed. No where near what the V is, but man, that torque is quite satisfying...

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Billy, I'd just keep the bike even if you only push it out once in a while and take a ride...you've put all this work and money into it that you can't get out anyway, I'd wait on the next project until I could afford both. It sounds to me like a wrecked AWA is in your future for that project bagger.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Keep the bike and add another bike to the stable, hell I am up to three. Only one runs! HA

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Billy, I'd just keep the bike even if you only push it out once in a while and take a ride...you've put all this work and money into it that you can't get out anyway, I'd wait on the next project until I could afford both. It sounds to me like a wrecked AWA is in your future for that project bagger.
Keep the bike and add another bike to the stable, hell I am up to three. Only one runs! HA
As much as I'd love to just add a 2nd bike, I don't ride enough to justify it.
Besides, I think Lori would :spank: if I bought another one without selling this one first. (I haven't been married for 23 years by accident :hiding:)

BTW Scott, do you have your's repaired yet from MWT?

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,168 Posts
Billy, Kim wants a v-rod yours is nice and low I'll be there with the $1,000 - that is probably what it is worth :).

Seriously, I had put my bike on ebay - not sure if it is still free, but it had cost me nothing to list. I got an offer for $19.5K, my reserve was set high because I didn't want to sell but see what I could get (oh wait, the listing was free but I think I had to pay for a reserve).

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Remember, I paid 8950 for an 09 AW. 1K to fix. Shake down to KC - 1492 miles. 105 on dyno. runs great. Keep yours. Have lori ride it. I will never sell another - you lose too much, and unlike wives, you CAN have more than one! Ask Joseph3dogs - they bought another one in kc! I do wish I had kept the last 4 or 5. I kick myself. Don't sell. JMHO, Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Now is not the time to sell. It's the time to buy. If you don't have a use for it, store it and keep it fresh. The market is going lower than anyone at the MoCo could imagine. Dealers are screaming in the showrooms as the desperate sell their paid-off bikes for pennies on the dollar. If you aren't selling it for money reasons, then lay off. If you are selling it for the money, you'll quickly realize motorcycles aren't investments.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts