Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock shocks on my bike. I live in MN/WI border and the roads are shit here. I'm looking to upgrade the shocks and the Progressive 444/490 are in my price range.
Can any of you 444/490 owner say that they are much better than the stock shocks? I don't want to spend the money if they are just marginally better.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I have the stock shocks on my bike. I live in MN/WI border and the roads are shit here. I'm looking to upgrade the shocks and the Progressive 444/490 are in my price range.
Can any of you 444/490 owner say that they are much better than the stock shocks? I don't want to spend the money if they are just marginally better.
Marginally better explains the 444s. Not looked at the 490s but if you want good shocks pick the adjustable compression and rebound types so you can dial them in. Without that feature, you are stuck with one setting in damping and that setting might not work for your shit roads.
These higher quality shocks will cost more but you will only buy one set and be happier in the end and no regrets.
Problem is, once you solve the ass end, you will notice just how bad the front end is. Money fixes that too.
update. Just remembered, I asked Progressive about the 490s and was told they were for spirited riding, so comfort might not be there.
Ron

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
If you want to do it right. Not inexpensive, but a "definitive" fix that will make you wonder if you're riding a different bike:

- Fork cartridges: Traxxion Dynamics Axxion AK-20
- Shocks: Race Tech G3-S, custom dual-IFP w/ adjustable rebound dampening

Both cartridges and shocks will be set for your weight and riding style.

Stop by Denver, I'll toss you the fob, and you can see the difference for yourself.

R.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi FBJ!
How much is the fork cartridges? I check the website and it was a little confusing. I couldnt find the ones you mentioned.
I did find the rear shocks, they look to be about $949

haha I would love to come to Denver and take a test ride!!

If you want to do it right. Not inexpensive, but a "definitive" fix that will make you wonder if you're riding a different bike:

- Fork cartridges: Traxxion Dynamics Axxion AK-20
- Shocks: Race Tech G3-S, custom dual-IFP w/ adjustable rebound dampening

Both cartridges and shocks will be set for your weight and riding style.

Stop by Denver, I'll toss you the fob, and you can see the difference for yourself.

R.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
Hi FBJ!
How much is the fork cartridges? I check the website and it was a little confusing. I couldnt find the ones you mentioned.
I did find the rear shocks, they look to be about $949

haha I would love to come to Denver and take a test ride!!
Huh-- it looks like they changed their website pretty dramatically.

I'd say call them- they're in GA I think? The Traxxion's are pretty awesome on the F, especially coupled with a decent rear shock.

I want to say I paid around $1200? But it was a fair while ago, so it might have been +/- a bit.

R.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FBJ,

I think on the website it says to send in the forks, did you have to do that?

Also, what would you suggest and a second, cheaper option? Just in case I can't get my wife to stop strangling me lol

·
Departed the Fix.
5,206 Posts
FBJ,

I think on the website it says to send in the forks, did you have to do that?

Also, what would you suggest and a second, cheaper option? Just in case I can't get my wife to stop strangling me lol
Yes, I sent the forks in. Didn't have the tools, it was an easier solution, and honestly didn't add that much to the price.

I don't have a second solution. I researched this and decided that if I was going to fix the suspension, I was going to do it the right way.

Put it like this-- I had a H-D Sales guy ride my bike one day as he was curious about the riding position with the Budman-- he came back and basically said "Holy F*ck! What have you DONE to this bike? It doesn't ride anything like a Muscle!"

He was seriously impressed.

He also thought that the Budman should come stock with the bike.

Sorry I can't be more help.

R.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey mark, I had the progressive 490 shocks and thos shocks were absolutely horrible, only good thing those shocks are for is just like a drag strip a flat surface. The stock shocks are more comfortable then those and that's bad to say so don't buy the 490s. Horrible ride

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Hey mark, I had the progressive 490 shocks and thos shocks were absolutely horrible, only good thing those shocks are for is just like a drag strip a flat surface. The stock shocks are more comfortable then those and that's bad to say so don't buy the 490s. Horrible ride
Thanks for posting first hand experience with those. They caught my eye also. 490s were on my list also but the Progressive tech told me I wouldn't like them. At least he was honest about it. He said for spirited riding only and not comfort. I settled for the 444s, only because I got a screaming deal locally, where they forgot to convert from US to CAD. That was fixed as soon as the order was done, for the next guy. If I did it again, the next shocks would have damper adjustments not this cookie cutter one setting. The rougher the road, the more important compression and rebound adjustment is.
Ron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts