Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to be buying and installing my own cams. Looking for sites for SE stage 2. I have a 2009 night rod special. Also pros and cons and performance increase? I’ve looked all around and it’s all jumbled and inconclusive of what’s what. Also looking on any advice on installing cams. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also side note do I need any other upgrades to go with cams? Like a must or there will be bad stuff to happen to engine?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Also looking on any advice on installing cams.
Remove the motor. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, save your self and your sanity and just pull the motor completely out of the frame.

Also side note do I need any other upgrades to go with cams? Like a must or there will be bad stuff to happen to engine?
fuel tuner and a tune.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Absolutely no reason to pull the engine. Buy a manual. It is time consuming but not difficult. You'll need a good tuner and exhaust system. Also consider having your throttle body shafts upgraded.

·
Tie One On
1,647 Posts
online at chicago harley d they can be had. i always use them when need takes me to an hd counter for parts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolutely no reason to pull the engine. Buy a manual. It is time consuming but not difficult. You'll need a good tuner and exhaust system. Also consider having your throttle body shafts upgraded.
What’s the importance of upgradeing the throttle body shafts? And where can I get those? And I’ll be getting toxic dual pipes either dark side or mystro. And power commander 5 and dyno tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
shafts get from fitzgerald motorsports. No you don't HAVE to pull engine. You will find yourself fighting it the whole time if you don't. Shims shims shims you will need them. A GOOD tuner (ecm)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shafts get from fitzgerald motorsports. No you don't HAVE to pull engine. You will find yourself fighting it the whole time if you don't. Shims shims shims you will need them. A GOOD tuner (ecm)

Please explain the importance of needing shafts or a 58mm TB. I was told unless doing more the 58 wouldn’t do much of a difference. Unless I’m wrong?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Its all about removing the airflow restrictions and helping the motor pump more air. as with any of this, no you dont HAVE to do any of it. but cams incease lift and duration meaning more air can flow or has the potential to flow

a smaller throttle body is another restriction, so make it bigger. The steel shaft just helps strengthen and accommodate the added mass from the larger butterfly flapper.

The intake valves and exhaust valves will flow more air if they're open up, better bore em' out and stick some over sized valves in.

ya'know polishing up the runner will allow more laminar flow, decrease the resistance at the intake and exhaust walls, and help with the ram air effect, better polish the intake and exhaust runners.

ohh and while were at it, may as well get rid of the airbox. That big snorkel is like a triathlete trying to breath through a straw, a restriction, better go toppless.

the list goes on and pretty soon you've sunk a lot of money into your bike, more than you originally paid.

For some, Its a hobby, It's fun to tinker. some people garden others paint, I (and many others) like motors, the build part or just push that limit, but there is no ROI you will not make the money (for the most part, there's alway exceptions!). you will loose that investment when you sell your bike.

So how much dough do you want to waste?

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Oh no - not that cam thing again !

All true, hey Yourbon go read into and search the different areas like the High Performance and Big Bore sections and Jones Cams in Group Buys on the forum page there is 52,182 pages (at least) of info on this cam subject. In there is EVERYTHING you could ever hope to ask or get answered. I'm serious - these guys will have you reading plus great info too - its all been addressed here before and right at your fingertips. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Please explain the importance of needing shafts or a 58mm TB. I was told unless doing more the 58 wouldn’t do much of a difference. Unless I’m wrong?
The throttle shaft issue is more prevalent with the Destroyer 58mm throttle body. Upgrading to the 58mm is a waste of money on a cam only engine. If you plan to go big bore than by all means do the upgrade.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What’s the importance of upgradeing the throttle body shafts? And where can I get those? And I’ll be getting toxic dual pipes either dark side or mystro. And power commander 5 and dyno tune.
If you are looking for performance, don't buy the Toxic pipes. There are way better performing options out there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Performance Pipes

If you are looking for performance, don't buy the Toxic pipes. There are way better performing options out there.
ToddO,

I just picked up my new (to me) 2005 VROD today. It had 1,930 original miles on it when I picked it up. I know nothing about VRODs except the stock exhaust is almost embarrassingly quiet.

What would recommend for performance pipes that both look decent and provide a power increase?

Thanks so much!

-Kahn

·
Registered Insane
2003 VRSCA
256 Posts
2003 Performance and Cosmetic Upgrade

Here's some photos of what I've put together for my 2003 VRSCA:

The SE II cams set I got at boardtrackerharley.com
They still have the kits for $412.

The wheel I got courtesy of 1130cc.com members PASCAL and David.

The pump cover I bit the bullet and ordered new at Gowanda Harley.

Everything else aside from some gaskets and O-Rings that I purchased at Gowanda Harley, I found on eBay.

I'm using my original bottom end. I have a set of new(er) cyclinders being honed at Gowanda Harley.

Here's the pics:

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
upgrade the TB axles to the ones from holymoto,the stock ones can break and the little screws from the butterfly get sucked into the motor if that happens..the ones from holymoto are round wit a slot in it for the butterfly and bigger screws

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
upgrade the TB axles to the ones from holymoto,the stock ones can break and the little screws from the butterfly get sucked into the motor if that happens..the ones from holymoto are round wit a slot in it for the butterfly and bigger screws

I’m trying to look up but no luck. Can you send link?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts