Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks! anyone with a windshield and hardware for sell or an idea about where can I look for it?

thanks a lot and happy riding!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the mid-sport windshield but will not give up the hardware. The hardware works with my new taller windshield. It has been a while since I was looking for a windshield but there were plenty available from HD dealers when I was looking. I would be willing to trade a moose hunt for the shield if you are interested. LOL

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the mid-sport windshield but will not give up the hardware. The hardware works with my new taller windshield. It has been a while since I was looking for a windshield but there were plenty available from HD dealers when I was looking. I would be willing to trade a moose hunt for the shield if you are interested. LOL
hahaha, thanks but I already installed one from a Nightrod Special that with some creativity at the hardware store, worked perfectly on my bike. In another discussion I posted pictures and I know that there's a fellow Street Roder hunting around for a windshield, so maybe he will contact you. Now I'm in the search of engine guards so wish me luck!

happy riding!

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you find one, make sure it has all the parts. When junkyards strip these bikes they loose many of the little parts like the brackets and clamps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you find one, make sure it has all the parts. When junkyards strip these bikes they loose many of the little parts like the brackets and clamps. View attachment 605597
Thanks for the tip! I'm not too optimistic about finding it in the pristine condition of your photo as I've tried everywhere and the only place where I found it brand new, wants more money than the federal budget for just some steel tubes, brackets and screws, so for now, no engine guard for me... anyway, I'll keep looking!

regards!

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Cmintegra - I paid $ 300 plus shipping for mine from a H-D dealer in Liberal, KS of all places - price seemed high, but a perfect fit, brand new perfect chrome, every part in the box - it has been worth every penny saved my legs from getting crushed not once but twice, prevented damage on the bike, mounted my LED driving lights on the top tube of it, highway pegs on the lower tubes - to be honest it's a function over form item - safety first, leg comfort second, looks third. If you can find one, buy it new or used - you'll never regret it, I certainly don't - and they ain't making 'em no more so you gotta jump and buy it when they pop up - Good Luck !! (y) ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Streetrodracer, I'm fully aware of that and that's why I'm looking for it around actively. The H-D dealer in Plattsburgh, NY checked the US inventory and apparently isn´t available anymore from a dealer ("obsolete part"... tired of hearing that phrase at H-D) so I need to look for secondary market but not paying as if the engine guard is made of platinum with titanium and asteroid's material. For now I'm just enjoying the great bike I expected it to be when I selected the VRSCR, loving the acceleration, handling, stability and overall riding experience of this incredible underrated machine, happy with the new ergonomics I got with the handlebar and windshield but also dealing with its shortcomings and scarcity of parts. I'm seeing the prices drop and maybe sooner than expected, would be some more Street Rods at bargain prices... who knows, maybe I'll have two of them soon!!!! LOL!!!

ride safe! 🤘😎

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cmintegra - I paid $ 300 plus shipping for mine from a H-D dealer in Liberal, KS of all places - price seemed high, but a perfect fit, brand new perfect chrome, every part in the box - it has been worth every penny saved my legs from getting crushed not once but twice, prevented damage on the bike, mounted my LED driving lights on the top tube of it, highway pegs on the lower tubes - to be honest it's a function over form item - safety first, leg comfort second, looks third. If you can find one, buy it new or used - you'll never regret it, I certainly don't - and they ain't making 'em no more so you gotta jump and buy it when they pop up - Good Luck !! (y) ;)
Hello again streetrodracer, finally got the engine guard from the guy in Holland (JWBLOOM...please don't ask how much I had to pay to the already ultra expensive guy plus shipping to a friend in Spain and then ask him to forward a 10 pounds box to Canada...) and as you said, the installation was flawless. Hopefully I won't have to verify its usefulness as you have done twice in the past, but now my bike is considered "complete". Thanks for your advice!

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
(y) :D WOW that's awesome Cmintegra ! That's so cool you got it ! you pried it outta the Euro guys hands but what a PIA. But worth it ! Call me sick but I like things that are kinda scarce & hard to get makes me real happy when I do get them - especially OEM accessories - I went thru this with my '97 Triumph 900 Triple - seems I bought the last backrest, fwd. footpeg kit, 2 up one piece seat etc. and Triumph makes H-D prices look cheap ! Don't forget you can spray paint it black or use black gorilla tape on the top guard tube from frame downtube to downtube - it helps hide the top shiny chrome tube and reduces the visual impact of the guard - also I found the best footpeg setup was a J&P Cycles 2 piece mount pointed fwd. then a short 90 degree footpeg clevis that accepts the stock H-D VRSCR footpegs - it's perfect, they " switchblade " around the side tubes to minimize their look when folded - Good Luck & welcome to the " comfortable " VRSCR Mid Peg Club ! (y):cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh man, you really are the "VRSCRexpert" streetrodracer!!!! I've just returned the 360° H-D peg mounts as was impossible for me to find a way to get it work with the angle of the guard and after trying every set available at my local dealer (the guys from the parts department at Leo Harley in the south shore of Montreal are unusually dedicated, patience and helpful BTW) we all gave up with the highway peg deal for me, so your advice is greatly appreciated!!!

By any chance you have pictures of your peg solution or parts details so I can try to replicate that here up north?

I will look at the J&P site to see if I don't have to bother you with that, but any help would be greatly appreciated...

🤘 😎 thanks in advance and don't be shy in keeping sharing youe more than evident wisdom!

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Worked a 12 hr shift today pulling a jet wing leading edge, replacing an overheat sensor, re-installing & sealing it so I'm smoked - I'll see what I can dredge up tomorrow but you need two of the J&P Cycles universal two piece (4 allen head screw) 1 1/4" footpeg clamps & the two footpeg clevises, which are straight but you install them at a 90 degree angle to the 2 piece clamps - bolt goes thru clamp hole so the footpeg is fwd of the guard, angled 90 degrees to the lower guard tube so tips of foot pegs point down a bit - sounds weird but works perfect and comfortable -

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer streetrodracer! now I can imagine the solution, no rush with the pics, you've already been of great help.

(y)

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
OK happy Sunday am ! So I used the J&P Cycles P/N 505-899 02 1 1/4" Mounts/Clamps with 220-1395 1/2 inch bolt footpeg clevis's and installed my OEM H-D main footpegs with the rubber inserts ( I had put small diameter aluminum footpegs on mid and pax. positions so I had spares ) and adjusted for angle. I used the same mounts for my 160-642 02 Cool Magic Driving Lights on the top bar of the engine guard. Awesome setup. Depending on how tall you are, how long your legs are you can get Mount/Clamps that are longer than the ones I mentioned to set footpegs farther fwd and you can install whatever H-D style male footpeg you want into that clevis or a 5300309 style Mount/Clevis with the proper nuts. I got mine in Black to offset the chrome plus lights are black as well. Good Luck ! (y) :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, again many thanks for your help! I understand the hardware combination but still don't see clearly how you managed to overcome the guard angle to get enough clearance and still keeping the peg somehow horizontal, or where in the guard to place the clamp without ending up as in an OB-GYN table... but no worries, I'll figure it out. I'm sure that is waaayyyy easier than removing/reinstalling the leading edge of a plane without messing the anti-ice bleed air tubing and ejectors, flanges/clamps, sensors, insulation, seals, slats/rails, etc.!!! LOL ;)

Take care and enjoy the remaining riding season (assuming that you're not fortunate enough to have warm weather at your location 365) Up here we're almost done anyway as the temperature is dropping dramatically and the rain/freezing rain is just days (hopefully weeks...) away and if I can't solve this guard/peg dilemma ASAP, it will be then after March or April 2021. Today I went to the mountains at 9° C and even though that it was a blast and the perfect environment to fully enjoy the street rod, I came back almost with hipotermia!!! hahahaha. (BTW thanks for convincing me on not lowering it in the back)

😎 🤘

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Thanks, yes plane repair is a PIA. So as I mentioned prior the outer tips of the pegs are lower than the inboard end, they are effectively 90 degrees to the lower canted guard tubing section that attaches to the frame. I know this seems odd but believe me when you put your feet on them it's very comfortable - since riders hips are narrow compared to the width of the footpeg installation they have to be canted to be comfortable - and to keep your feet on them in my case the H-D OEM rubber insert footpegs work well - or use a footpeg with the larger outboard ring that keeps your shoe on them. BTW my footpeg mount lower edge is 3.5" above the weld on the lower end of the tubing as my rt. shoe heel hits my Bub7 pipe - if you have a stock or another pipe that doesn't go over the side of the clutch cover you can drop the mounts even lower than mine - you can also rig up a swivel bracket to level the pegs but they are very heavy so I avoided them as the guard is heavy enough - Good Luck with it, yea down here in Florida we can ride all year, but June to September it's very hot, rainy & humid so we have to ride in early am before all that weather or in the early evening when it's all passed. But we don't have snowmobiles like you guys, :confused: just dirt bikes in Sept. thru to June. Ride On ! (y) :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts