Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a pic of this on the bike and opinions on how it works.

·
Registered
53 Posts
WindVest

I have an 07 AW with a 16 inch Windvest. I had it on a 2002 Deuce and when I sold it, I kept the windvest and just ordered a mount for a vrod. But really needed it a little higher, so I just drilled another set of holes and slide it up about 1.5 inches. I think that it works great, really knocks the wind off your upper body.
I have tried to attach a couple of photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
K, ...

... here ya go ('cept it's a 16"er). Rode about 160mi with it on at Bike-Half-A-Week, up to St. Augustine and back, mostly on I-95 at speeds up to & occasionally well above, 80, and it makes a heck of a difference. Wind hits just above the visor on my helmet. I think a 18"er would be perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... here ya go ('cept it's a 16"er). Rode about 160mi with it on at Bike-Half-A-Week, up to St. Augustine and back, mostly on I-95 at speeds up to & occasionally well above, 80, and it makes a heck of a difference. Wind hits just above the visor on my helmet. I think a 18"er would be perfect.
thanks i'll go with the 18" do you think these are better than any of th hd sheilds?

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Can't say - the only H-D shields with which I have any experience were/are attached to Tour Glide & Road Glide fairings and I suspect the fairings themselves might have colored my perceptions just a tad. :rofl2:

The shield itself is ~twice as thick as those on the FLTC/FLTRI and, I think, other H-D accessory shields, though I wouldn't bet a paycheck on that.

But thinking about it, since we're in the DX forum and so you're probably riding a DX and sitting a lot lower and further back than I am on the R, the 16"er might be perfect. I recently got a "spare" and it's still packed in its box. If you'd like to take it on a test run and will pay shipping costs, I'll send it to you so you'll know for sure what height you need/want. You can use the USPS site to see how much it costs to ship a 5lb 0oz box from Zip 75760.

Lemme know whatcha think and PM your address if you decide to "Try B/4 U Buy." :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't say - the only H-D shields with which I have any experience were/are attached to Tour Glide & Road Glide fairings and I suspect the fairings themselves might have colored my perceptions just a tad. :rofl2:

The shield itself is ~twice as thick as those on the FLTC/FLTRI and, I think, other H-D accessory shields, though I wouldn't bet a paycheck on that.

But thinking about it, since we're in the DX forum and so you're probably riding a DX and sitting a lot lower and further back than I am on the R, the 16"er might be perfect. I recently got a "spare" and it's still packed in its box. If you'd like to take it on a test run and will pay shipping costs, I'll send it to you so you'll know for sure what height you need/want. You can use the USPS site to see how much it costs to ship a 5lb 0oz box from Zip 75760.

Lemme know whatcha think and PM your address if you decide to "Try B/4 U Buy." :D
Thanks for the offer. I'm actually riding an 04 A model. The B in my sig is my old bike and I don't know how to delete it from my sig. I'm about 5'11 and don't want to get blasted in the face looking for somthing to get it up over my helmet.

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Jeebus!

:banghead:
I guess I'm not as recovered from the >1500mi drive back from DB, via San Antonio, as I thought. I was reading a thread in the DX forum then hopped over to reply to your thread and got my wires crossed.

But A, B, DX, whatever, you're still sitting further from the W/S than I am on the R, and lower, so a shorter shield might do the trick. I'm not trying to influence your decision but for me the shorter the shield that works, the better.

Offer's open if you want to try it.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts

·
Jason
147 Posts
I have a windvest. Looks great, but if you are looking to really block the wind I would try a full touring windshield. I have also tried a mid sport and wasn't happy with it. There are a couple with quick release available in the classified.
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148591

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a windvest. Looks great, but if you are looking to really block the wind I would try a full touring windshield. I have also tried a mid sport and wasn't happy with it. There are a couple with quick release available in the classified.
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148591
Thats a bit to much for me. I think either the windvest or the HD super sport is the way I'm going to go. Thanks for the input. I wear a half helmet does the wind vest get the air up above your face?

·
Jason
147 Posts
Ya just barely probably hits ya about the forehead. I have a mid sport setting in the garage with all the mounting hardware if your interested. It's not new but in good shape. I would be willing to let ya have it for 150.00 shipped if your interested.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya just barely probably hits ya about the forehead. I have a mid sport setting in the garage with all the mounting hardware if your interested. It's not new but in good shape. I would be willing to let ya have it for 150.00 shipped if your interested.
Which one is the mid sport ? Do you have a pic ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Thats a bit to much for me. I think either the windvest or the HD super sport is the way I'm going to go. Thanks for the input. I wear a half helmet does the wind vest get the air up above your face?
Yes, its adjustable. I wear FF all the time and have no buffeting. I am 5'-11". I keep the Windvest on during the cooler months here in idaho. Just recently took it off as the temps are now in the 50's.

If you plan to take any long trips involving freeway riding, these things definitely reduce arm strain and fatigue. Since we only have 1 Interstate here in Boise its not a big deal. More mountain riding than anything.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, its adjustable. I wear FF all the time and have no buffeting. I am 5'-11". I keep the Windvest on during the cooler months here in idaho. Just recently took it off as the temps are now in the 50's.

If you plan to take any long trips involving freeway riding, these things definitely reduce arm strain and fatigue. Since we only have 1 Interstate here in Boise its not a big deal. More mountain riding than anything.
Tray which wind vest do you have 16 or 18. You seem pretty happy with it.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
18" Clear like my earlier pics. I do like it. Some members as noted have the HD version/s, some use "Memphis shades" variety.

It worked well enough for me to tuck in behind it a couple years ago and run the bike up to 135mph without ripping me off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts