Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is like asking a crack dealer if I should smoke crack, but........................I have been looking at V-Rods for quite some time. I currently ride a Buell XB9S. I want a bike that the girl doesn't mind riding on (she hates riding on the Buell) and a bike that is a little more comfortable on longer rides than the Buell (I can take up to two hours on the Buell before my legs start to feel cramped). Don't get me wrong, I love my Buell and plan on keeping it. I just want another bike. I am pretty set on a V-Rod. I just don't know which model would suite me best. I am thinking the the VRSCR is best for me. Here are some things that are important to me. Tell if the VRSCR fits the bill:

I want a bike that can somewhat handle the curves like my Buell - I want to have fun riding the bike - not just go in straight lines super fast

A bike that I can mod fairly easy and to do so with out spending tons of $$ - intake, exhaust, tires, ECM, seat, etc, etc

A bike that is comfortable to ride for 3-4 hours, I am 5' 11" at 190lbs.

This is all I can think of for now for my demands....................Oh, how is the stock riding position with the mid-set foot pegs. Can you set the bike up for a the standard VRSC foot peg position. Is the mid-set position comfortable.

Is the VRSCR the bike for me?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Stop right there!!!

Go and try a VRSCDX, it is really fun.

Its low, long, fat and black. And it is fun.
No being suckered into buying chrome stick on bits, that then eat into riding time 'cos you have to polish them.

It is difficult but not impossible to get mid controls, but why on earth would you want them.
The 240 tyre can take a bit of getting used to, but the bike is very manouverable, and great fun.

Visit the VRSCDX section and read how everyone that has brought one finds it hard to ride back home again.

Oh, and I nearly forgot..................
They are really good fun :)

EDIT:
Sorry, just noticed that this was your first post.
:vrodforu:

·
Dreaming of Twisties
593 Posts
Yes. Please see my avatar for pics from my recent Buell track day on my VRSCR. Add a comfy seat, windshield & bags - you're good for all-day riding.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The_Apprentice said:
It is difficult but not impossible to get mid controls, but why on earth would you want them.
Look no further than Speedy's avatar to answer that question.

Also, with a DX, better get used to seeing yourself coming and going.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I guess I just find using the forwards second nature.
In many ways I prefer them.

When I climb back on the Yamaha it seems really odd having mids.

One thing is for sure, I am 6'2" and a if I tried riding a DX with mids I would get cramp within a couple of miles.

Sorry, I am hijacking the thread.

Seriously though, G4string, check out a DX if you get the chance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
With the higher seat on the R, I don't think it's quite as cramp-inducing with the mids--although at 6' even, I cramp up after an hour or so on the bike. I can see how the mid-controls on the regular D could be hell.

·
Dreaming of Twisties
593 Posts
The_Apprentice said:
I guess I just find using the forwards second nature.
In many ways I prefer them.

When I climb back on the Yamaha it seems really odd having mids.

One thing is for sure, I am 6'2" and a if I tried riding a DX with mids I would get cramp within a couple of miles.
Second nature for sitting on a bike & going in a straight line - but that's specifically what he's trying NOT to do.

And yes, if you have a DX with mids you'd probably cramp up in a second - but an R is not a DX. There's a huge difference in the frame.

And yes, while you are hijacking the thread - it's kinda like coming into a Ford Mustang area and telling everyone how great the Explorer is. :chair: I think you're really missing the point of what he wants out of the bike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ride a deuce and an R. If you want a bike that can handle curvy roads, go with the R over the V-rod. Having your legs underneath you gives you much more control over the bike.

My riding buddy has a monster and we ride pretty evenly so you have an idea of the performance. Also, you have a 5 gallon tank and a fuel gauge.

My legs only get cramped after 4-5 hours. You alway have the option of putting a crash bar on then adding foot pegs to stretch out.

Overall, nice bike. I wish I could take about 80 pounds off of it. Otherwise, no complaints.
c

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Go with the R and you will not be disappointed. It handles very well, and I can ride fairly comfortably for 3-4 hours without leg cramping. I am 5'11-6' and have no problems.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Speedy818 said:
Second nature for sitting on a bike & going in a straight line - but that's specifically what he's trying NOT to do.

And yes, if you have a DX with mids you'd probably cramp up in a second - but an R is not a DX. There's a huge difference in the frame.

And yes, while you are hijacking the thread - it's kinda like coming into a Ford Mustang area and telling everyone how great the Explorer is. :chair: I think you're really missing the point of what he wants out of the bike.
Sorry, got to get the last word in.
I have no problem keeping up with a Ducati 900, a V-Max and a Buell when I am out with my mates, and that includes skinny bendy English country roads.

Of course, if you want the easy life........................................

·
jus cruizin
1,879 Posts
Sounds like you would love an R. You are going to need a new saddle right away....and 4 hr plus days are FUN. Check my gallery for pics of the seat I recommend.

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
:bs: A DX will not handle near as well as those bikes, let alone an R!!!

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
I suggest that you go ride them both first. I'm very comortable on my R at 6'2", but at 5'11" you might find it too high for you. Some of the other forum members got rid of their 'R, or lowered it, because of that.

I think the R is an incredible bike, but not everyone can hack it :stilpoke:

·
The Engineer
316 Posts
streetrodder06 said:
:bs: A DX will not handle near as well as those bikes, let alone an R!!!
:them:

Yep, no way in hell my R will touch my M900. Close, but sorry.....

·
THAWING In Montana
344 Posts
I'm 5'8" and I don't have any problems...you'll love this bike. I came from riding sport bikes, and I won't be going back.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Big_Red said:
I suggest that you go ride them both first. I'm very comortable on my R at 6'2", but at 5'11" you might find it too high for you. Some of the other forum members got rid of their 'R, or lowered it, because of that.

I think the R is an incredible bike, but not everyone can hack it :stilpoke:
I love the way my R handles and, with a custom saddle, it is pretty comfy. I prefer my feet underneath me, as compared to having them out in front, for support - on rough roads the legs can take the impacts rather than the lower back. Having said all that, I've ridden all of the models and remain conflicted - I really like the lower stance of the A/B/D/DX & X's and think the low, long look is awesome - forward pegs are very comfrotable around town. I've ridden the DX on an extended ride (160 miles in one stretch) and found the forward pegs to be more fatiguing than the mid pegs on my R . . . and . . . I really like the look. If you're going to keep the Buell, try riding as many model V's as you can find, going back to try the one(s) that you especially like on another day. You might find that a freaking fast cruiser ride is a great compliment to your sport-oriented current ride. Personally, I'd like more than one model V in my stable.

Oh, and I don't think the GF will enjoy riding (or be as comfortable) on the back of the R as much as she would on an, A,DX or X - and THAT is an important element if you are planning to be hooked up and ride together for very long, IMHO. :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
:2cents: I am VRSCD guy always will be (BUT) I would really like to get a street rod aka-R I am a pretty aggressive rider and the extra hight the R offers is pretty damn appealing but thats just me .No matter the choose you will enjoy riding a V good luck and welcome

·
RIP ALEX
2,033 Posts
My legs dont cramp up on long rides. Only complaint is the seat. Not the most comfortable on long rides, but still tolerable. Easy fix

·
Dreaming of Twisties
593 Posts
Fletch said:
Oh, and I don't think the GF will enjoy riding (or be as comfortable) on the back of the R as much as she would on an, A,DX or X - and THAT is an important element if you are planning to be hooked up and ride together for very long, IMHO. :D
I'd have to disagree with that - my wife was practically BEGGING for our street rod when we rented a DX in colorado for a week. All jokes aside, the wide fender is much more work to deal with than the narrower "R" fender.

In any event - the rear seat will have to be changed out for any type of extended riding back there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts