Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure these questions have been asked on here many times in many forms, but I couldn't seem to come up with a search keyword to find anything. What are the most common complaints? I've searched the internet and I haven't found one of this particular model for sale with over 10,000 miles on it. Why is every one of them sold with very low mileage? Does everyone hate them? The one I'm looking at is also low mileage in tip-top condition with very little done to it except for slip-ons and a race tuner. Anyone out there have an idea of a price range I should be looking at? I did a little reading through here and I'm wondering what the final verdict is as far as valve adjustment (10,000, 12,000, 15,000 miles?) and how much I should ultimately pay to have it done at a dealer? Is there anything else pricey that I should be worried about? Thanks in advance for any help with this. Past experience dictates that I'll be a very active member here if I end up with this bike.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I honestly think that a lot of the SE sold are sold to people that wanted "the best" harley but weren't big riders to begin with. When you think about how expensive they are new and what you could do to a stock bike with the extra money, you really talking about people that have more money than time. Personally I love the SE but I would buy another "base" model and do what I want to it before I would buy an SE. Now that the used SE market has come down that is a different story all together...

Just my 2 cents...

-Keith

·
Free Wheelin'
241 Posts
I think KillerVRod is right. Those were $26k when they were new, and a lot of the people who bought them did so with the intent that they would hold onto them as "collector bikes", keep them in mint condition, not ride them, and that their value would increase over time. However, with the current economy, many of these same people can't justify having a $26k "paperweight", so they're trying to offload them and get a few bucks back.

I graduated college the year they came out and wanted one sooooo bad, but couldn't afford it at the time.

I would still love to have one, but I'd be afraid of scratching it. I have my bike to ride, not to look at. Don't get me wrong, I hate when things happen to my bike, but I've been through some sh*t with it, and it shows. Mine may not be in showroom shape, but dammit, I've got some great stories. Most recently riding from Pennsylvania to Arizona and back.

Dr Dave has an SE2. Maybe he'll chime in...

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
As far as major issues go, those bikes don't have any. Your biggest concern will be things like the fuel gage not working right and headset bearings needing to be adjusted. Valve clearance adjustments can be done every 20,000 miles if you're an average (not very aggressive) rider; if you live at red line you should go with the factory recommended 15,000 miles.

I don't have a feel for price; if I were in the market (I love the '06 SE) I'd jump at a real nice one for 17K or so. But, I may be way off.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,127 Posts
I have an SE2 and think it is great. I rode my dad's DX 40 miles on Sunday and hated it. My butt hurt, my shoulders hurt, I couldn't see the tach...but I'm sure I would get used to it over time if I had a DX (my daughter that always rides with me was with me too and she also hated it compared to my SE2).

After having an SE2 it sits and rides so much better IMHO. I really like mine and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I bought mine to ride and have over 13K miles on it - just rode 30 miles today. I use it for work too. The only thing I'd like to currently add is some air shocks since the thing sits high.

Edit: Let me add, my fuel gauge doesn't work too poorly. I'd say a low mileage one should be around 14K - just guessing though.

·
Free Wheelin'
241 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
On a 5 year old, I say no more than 12K. You can find them. Very smart to buy used. JMHO, Joe

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I have an SE2 and think it is great. I rode my dad's DX 40 miles on Sunday and hated it. My butt hurt, my shoulders hurt, I couldn't see the tach...but I'm sure I would get used to it over time if I had a DX (my daughter that always rides with me was with me too and she also hated it compared to my SE2).

After having an SE2 it sits and rides so much better IMHO. I really like mine and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I bought mine to ride and have over 13K miles on it - just rode 30 miles today. I use it for work too. The only thing I'd like to currently add is some air shocks since the thing sits high.

Edit: Let me add, my fuel gauge doesn't work too poorly. I'd say a low mileage one should be around 14K - just guessing though.
The seat and cluster is definitely a cool feature of the SE. No matter what vrod you get I think shocks are a worthy investment. Wish I saved and got arnotts (or legends) instead of smoothrides. The adjustability is worth its weight in gold. Looking back I wish i got regular progressive front springs instead of the lower ones also.

I think it comes down to what you want to do. If you are like me and want to change a bunch of stuff you may want to look at non-SE ones. But if you want a rare completely beautiful bike and not going to change that much get the SE.

Or you can be my new idol and buy the SE and turbo it! Damn dmlkm that is sweet!

-Keith

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,127 Posts
Thanks Keith.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The seat and cluster is definitely a cool feature of the SE. No matter what vrod you get I think shocks are a worthy investment. Wish I saved and got arnotts (or legends) instead of smoothrides. The adjustability is worth its weight in gold. Looking back I wish i got regular progressive front springs instead of the lower ones also.

I think it comes down to what you want to do. If you are like me and want to change a bunch of stuff you may want to look at non-SE ones. But if you want a rare completely beautiful bike and not going to change that much get the SE.

Or you can be my new idol and buy the SE and turbo it! Damn dmlkm that is sweet!

-Keith
I just saw one with a turbocharger on it for sale on E-bay last night. Grab it. After riding one of these SE Vrods, it already feels like it's got enough ponies for me...but it may be something for me to think about for next year.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
screaglerod,

I love that user name. Very creative! :vrodforu:

I think that the reason that you see so many Eagles with low miles is that they were purchased to be trophies, not bikes. They are truly the epitome of the V-Rod family in almost every aspect. I'm not bragging- I didn't build the bike, I just bought it. But I am very, very proud to own one! You will be too. Kiss anonymity goodbye.

I bought mine to ride. I love riding it every day. Personally I can't see buying one for a trophy, then keeping it hidden inside of my garage so that I can show the occasional invited guest the $27,499 mistake that makes me cool. I like to show everyone in traffic the $27,499 bike that I enjoy to it's fullest (I bought mine off of ebay for much less than that with 4600 miles on it). Mine currently has 25,634 happy miles.

You are on the right track. Don't worry nearly so much about the mileage as you do the condition of the bike and the price. You can't wear one of these out easily (unless you are just too careless to check the oil), so 20,000 miles is virtually the same as 5,000. You'll put 15,000 miles on yours so quickly that you may regret paying the extra bucks for a low mileage one. However, garage kept is a must!

Check the bike over extremely well. Especially check the chrome on the rear wheel ($1425). They were notorious for pealing. Any painted panels that need replacement are out of sight too (factory paint is proprietary). The seat is made of leather- it should be soft and supple. I had to replace mine because I left it in the sun too many days without a cover ($299).

You get the idea. Buy it. Ride it. Enjoy it. Take care of it. Be prepared to reply "Thank You" a lot because you won't go a week without someone saying, "Nice bike!"

One more thing; the valve lash adjustment isn't needed before 20,000 miles at least. If you're so inclined, there are many here who can talk you through any problems you can't solve with your Service Manual for free.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
screaglerod,

I love that user name. Very creative! :vrodforu:

I think that the reason that you see so many Eagles with low miles is that they were purchased to be trophies, not bikes. They are truly the epitome of the V-Rod family in almost every aspect. I'm not bragging- I didn't build the bike, I just bought it. But I am very, very proud to own one! You will be too. Kiss anonymity goodbye.

I bought mine to ride. I love riding it every day. Personally I can't see buying one for a trophy, then keeping it hidden inside of my garage so that I can show the occasional invited guest the $27,499 mistake that makes me cool. I like to show everyone in traffic the $27,499 bike that I enjoy to it's fullest (I bought mine off of ebay for much less than that with 4600 miles on it). Mine currently has 25,634 happy miles.

You are on the right track. Don't worry nearly so much about the mileage as you do the condition of the bike and the price. You can't wear one of these out easily (unless you are just too careless to check the oil), so 20,000 miles is virtually the same as 5,000. You'll put 15,000 miles on yours so quickly that you may regret paying the extra bucks for a low mileage one. However, garage kept is a must!

Check the bike over extremely well. Especially check the chrome on the rear wheel ($1425). They were notorious for pealing. Any painted panels that need replacement are out of sight too (factory paint is proprietary). The seat is made of leather- it should be soft and supple. I had to replace mine because I left it in the sun too many days without a cover ($299).

You get the idea. Buy it. Ride it. Enjoy it. Take care of it. Be prepared to reply "Thank You" a lot because you won't go a week without someone saying, "Nice bike!"

One more thing; the valve lash adjustment isn't needed before 20,000 miles at least. If you're so inclined, there are many here who can talk you through any problems you can't solve with your Service Manual for free.
Good info. Thanks! What kind of mileage should I expect out of the rear tire on this bike? Or at least a range that I should expect. I'll be at the lower end of the range since I'm not exactly what you would call easy on tires...or brakes for that matter.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
I'm Tired

Good info. Thanks! What kind of mileage should I expect out of the rear tire on this bike? Or at least a range that I should expect. I'll be at the lower end of the range since I'm not exactly what you would call easy on tires...or brakes for that matter.
My bike came with a brand new Dunlop E3. With only 4600 miles on the clock, that made me nervous! I still don't know why it was replaced with so few miles, but I digress.

That tire gave me just under 12,000 miles. The current Dunlop D407 (Rocker C tire) is worn out at 10,000 miles. The range that I've seen on the wide rear tires is mostly between 8,000 and 12,000 with a few extremes on either end.

Do a search.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My bike came with a brand new Dunlop E3. With only 4600 miles on the clock, that made me nervous! I still don't know why it was replaced with so few miles, but I digress.

That tire gave me just under 12,000 miles. The current Dunlop D407 (Rocker C tire) is worn out at 10,000 miles. The range that I've seen on the wide rear tires is mostly between 8,000 and 12,000 with a few extremes on either end.

Do a search.
That's not bad at all. I can live with that.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
I'm sure these questions have been asked on here many times in many forms, but I couldn't seem to come up with a search keyword to find anything. What are the most common complaints? I've searched the internet and I haven't found one of this particular model for sale with over 10,000 miles on it. Why is every one of them sold with very low mileage? Does everyone hate them? The one I'm looking at is also low mileage in tip-top condition with very little done to it except for slip-ons and a race tuner. Anyone out there have an idea of a price range I should be looking at? I did a little reading through here and I'm wondering what the final verdict is as far as valve adjustment (10,000, 12,000, 15,000 miles?) and how much I should ultimately pay to have it done at a dealer? Is there anything else pricey that I should be worried about? Thanks in advance for any help with this. Past experience dictates that I'll be a very active member here if I end up with this bike.
Welcome.

I bought my SE2 in December 2006. Since then I have customized almost everything I could. I ride it pretty hard and intend on keeping it. Still have all the original tins, wheels, tires, etc.

The only time it's been to the dealer was to have it tuned on the Dyno after I installed a Race Tuner, pipe and map from this site. Other than the fuel gauge never being accurate I have yet to have any issues. Still have the original battery in it. Oh, I didn't pay $26k for it either. Much less to be exact.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Personally I love the SE but I would buy another "base" model and do what I want to it before I would buy an SE.
:them:

The numbers being tossed around here look like they are in the ballpark or more than you'd pay for a new, non-current VRSC.

You can customize the heck out of a good used $6-8k VRSC and still be $ ahead.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
I disagree with the buying a used 6-8 grand vrsc and customizing the heck out of it idea. Dont get me wrong there are some damn nice bikes on here, however, you can pour a ton of money into one and still end up with a 6-8k bike. Everyone knows that adding the stuff means nothing to resale. Plus you still have the 1130 engine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I disagree with the buying a used 6-8 grand vrsc and customizing the heck out of it idea. Dont get me wrong there are some damn nice bikes on here, however, you can pour a ton of money into one and still end up with a 6-8k bike. Everyone knows that adding the stuff means nothing to resale. Plus you still have the 1130 engine.
...and you don't get the SE paint job on a $6-8k bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts