Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first post here. I rode a 2009 Yamaha Raider up until Christmas Eve. An inattentive 18 year old girl pulled a left hand turn right infront of me with less than 50 ft to react. Well, I was not wearing a helmet so I got beat up on my face, with over 200 stitches. I am healing very quickly and am ready to jump back onto a bike. I went by my dealer today and my raider has over 12K in damage and repair.

The dealer has a brand new sedona orange night rod special. I think this bike is the only thing HD has that would be up to par and suceed in performance of my raider. Only thing I do not like is the clamed over position on the night rod. Dealer gave me a 2011 parts & accesories catalog and I see the reduced reach handlebars the HD offers. Those bars say they will put the rider in a upright position instead of the clamed over position with the stock bars.

Anyways, hope to be posting over here on a regular basis. If God wants me to get on another bike, then this deal will work out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
:vrodforu:

I used the VMOD reduced reach bars on mine and it is a much more comfortable riding position.

I saw a VROD with ape hangers on them at a local shop and laughed but then I sat on it and OMG it was so comfortable, ugly, but comfy.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
If I had to replace my V-Rod this is the exact bike I'd buy. A 2011 DXa in Sedona orange. It might be the best looking V-Rod ever.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I had to replace my V-Rod this is the exact bike I'd buy. A 2011 DXa in Sedona orange. It might be the best looking V-Rod ever.
I agree, it's very nice. The dealer also has a sedona orange wide glide coming in that I have first bids on. I'm leaning more towards the DX though.

I get to go test ride her tomorrow!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:vrodforu:

I used the VMOD reduced reach bars on mine and it is a much more comfortable riding position.

Do you sit at a more upright position with those bars? At 69.00, they are pretty cheap!

·
Road rash hurts!!!!
191 Posts
Hey all, first post here. I rode a 2009 Yamaha Raider up until Christmas Eve. An inattentive 18 year old girl pulled a left hand turn right infront of me with less than 50 ft to react. Well, I was not wearing a helmet so I got beat up on my face, with over 200 stitches. I am healing very quickly and am ready to jump back onto a bike. I went by my dealer today and my raider has over 12K in damage and repair.

The dealer has a brand new sedona orange night rod special. I think this bike is the only thing HD has that would be up to par and suceed in performance of my raider. Only thing I do not like is the clamed over position on the night rod. Dealer gave me a 2011 parts & accesories catalog and I see the reduced reach handlebars the HD offers. Those bars say they will put the rider in a upright position instead of the clamed over position with the stock bars.

Anyways, hope to be posting over here on a regular basis. If God wants me to get on another bike, then this deal will work out.
Black is the colour you need its built into male genes

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts

Hi and welcome,And glad your on the mend,I didn't like the dx riding position either so I changed the bars clamshell etc to the vrsca setup this can be done very cheaply using second hand part from ebay etc,also I sold all the bits I took off so the cost was practically nil,the only additional expense was new front brake lines but It gave me an excuse to change to braided lines.Try sitting on a VRSCA at the dealership and see what you think.

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
First off: :welcome::vrodforu::welcome:

Depending on what your riding style is, the orange DX would probably be the better choice.

There are all sorts of after market bars that will fit the V-Rod.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the dealer let me take her for a spin today. She had 7 miles on her when I started her up. Coming from a Raider, these are my observations.
First and foremost, the bars will have to be switched to something with a little more pull back and raise to them. It was not uncomfortable at all, I just didn't like the feeling riding like that. The night rod has nowhere near the torque as my raider, but I knew that going into this. It is nice having another tach because I am so use to going by engine sound to shift. I had the rod up to about 60mph in 3rd gear and it sounded like I needed to shift, but the tach only showed a little over 4k. I gave it a quick jab on the throttle and I was up to 80mph in a few seconds.

I did not like the stock mirrors because I could not see very good behind me. I'm sure when I get different bars, this will help. I love the look of the stock exhaust, but it's way to quiet. Sounded like I was riding a jap sport bike.

All in all, I love this bike! I now have to keep nagotiating the monthly payment lower. My raider was 240.00 a month and my dealer quoted me 268.00 a month for the rod. I'm on a tight budget and do not have any $$$ to put down as a down payment. I used most of my extra money as a down payment on the raider 8 months ago. Hopefully the insurance will give me a nice settlement check due to the injuries I sustained in this crash.(was not my fault). I can then use the settlement cash for a nice down payment. Wish me luck.

·
motorsickle1130
219 Posts
Damn KIDS!!

My dad had the same kind of issue last year with somebodies dumb ass dog. Don't forget to strengthen your clutch hand back up too with exercises.
I had the same problems with the new DXs. Also didn't like the fat rear tire, couldn't lean over enough for my taste and didn't respond fast enough in the corners. So I bought an 06 standard night rod (mid mount controls) and love it. Was also cheaper than a new one and left me with money in the bank. Just something to think about if it's an option after that sweet settlement check.
Good luck with the insurance companies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts