Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has had any luck installing long stem mirrors on their V Rod and seeing increased rear visibility? I have an A model and can't see around my elbows and since I am doing a lot of highway riding lately. I bought some long stem mirrors on ebay, and they appear to be the same size as standard mirrors on the bike.

Thanks
Jake

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those look really nice....looking at the packaging it does appear I bought long stem mirrors but that is also what I had on the bike originally from when I bought it. Is that the standard? If so, I still need an extender or something to get outside of the bars. I am 6'2 240lbs and it would be nice to see around my elbows.

·
Greg
604 Posts
Had the same issue -- seeing nothing but elbows in my stock mirrors. I solved it with a pair of Kuryakyn Ellipse Mirrors and 34" drag bars! Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a extension solution that was functional and looked decent too.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
You need longer handle bars to position the mirrors further out. Harley does make a extended stem mirror. Don't know how they would look on a "V" however.

·
boredom kills
2,310 Posts
You need longer handle bars to position the mirrors further out. Harley does make a extended stem mirror. Don't know how they would look on a "V" however.
Is there a handle bar you can suggest that would accomplish this for the A model. Maybe one with a little more height and pullback?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I have rizoma bars which makes it even worse! So I made a set of stems:

I can see so much better, even with my girl on the back. The other option is to look at mounting the mirrors upside down so they go under the bars. People have pretty good visibility with stock ones that way.

-Keith

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Be careful if you go with kuryakyn, the chrome tends to flake off and rust.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had the same problem with my '09 Nightrod Special. I solved it with these mirrors from Joker Machine. Quality stuff from Joker, I am very happy with them.

Phatass

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I actually threw the long stem mirrors in the trash because they are ugly.I run the short factory mirrors on all of my Harleys and they work well for what they are.
Of the things I always talk about learning in the MCSC,mirrors is one of them.They tell you to always turn and look before making a move.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I got a decent set of old school style long stems from JC Whitney.

:hidesbeh:

They don't look good but they are well made and do the job.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got a decent set of old school style long stems from JC Whitney.

:hidesbeh:

They don't look good but they are well made and do the job.
I did the same thing, but I think they look good-I run a windshield, which breaks up and takes away the "long stem" look...

·
boredom kills
2,310 Posts
Vince - are the ones pictured in your gallery the stock ones? Can you post a pic of the muirrors your talking about?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Grady makes an extender... Not as cool as some of you want but it works. black powder or chrome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts