Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 45 years old and my 07 rod is the first bike ive ever rode or owned. Ive had it 3 years now and I love it. I had a hard time riding it last year and didnt know why till november. I was diagnosed with colon cancer. I haven't rode much this year until this past week. Some good friends and I decided to go fishing in Minnesota. 675 miles from my home. I made the decision to ride my bike and follow them. The trip out we split stopping halfway. I was beat riding through rain hail and sleet. We fished for a week enjoying good times laughs and good weather. All week i fought my health issues and made it the best time of my life next to my son being born. I made my mind up that I was going to make it home in a day. I left 630 am and pulled in my garage at 730 pm that night. The wind was so bad at the Mackinaw bridge it literally blew my bike sideways on the iron grating at 30 mph. I was ready to park it and give up. Thanking the USMC for instilling the never quit mentality, I made it. It was the most painful, insightful seemingly endless journey Ive ever made. My companions arrived 2 and half hours later, worried sick about me. I was sitting on my porch with a cocktail in my hand and smiling. It was one of the greatest days of my life, It made me appreciatemy life my son and every fellow biker I rode by or passed that waved and smiled. God bless you all and ride safe.
P.S. I WILL NEVER EVER RIDE THAT FAR AGAIN A V-ROD. lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Riding is fun but not through hail and rain! The wind can depend how bad it is since we get gusts here in Colorado every now and then but I'll take that over rain! I agree it's one of those times where you wonder what you were thinking. Yet, you did it and that's what counts!

-dx

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
how's your health MARINE? great ride story. SEMPER FI

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I'm a colon cancer survivor as well, so I KNOW just what you mean. Pick up a Sundowner seat...trust me on this one.

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
...The wind was so bad at the Mackinaw bridge it literally blew my bike sideways on the iron grating at 30 mph.
During windy conditions, that's got to be the scariest few miles you've ever had on 2 wheels. It's bad enough in a mini-van. Bet that there's nothing like being 200 feet above the water while driving over a see-through metal grate. Never been across on a bike, but walked across one year when I was in scouts [Can walk over on Labor Day]. I think it took almost 2 hours on foot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My health sucks, but thanks for asking. Semper Fi! Suck it up and enjoy life I feel. My cancer prognosis isnt good and Ive chosen quality over quantity. When its time for me to go The grim reaper is going to have to chase me down and I will still be swinging and kicking to the best of my capabilities. Ive already had 18 inches of my colon removed and they want the rest. Ha. Told the Doc Im taking it with me. Ride hard boys and live each day like its your last....

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
sorry to hear that tzrod...if you ever feel like riding out to nyc, let me know. alot of forum members out this way, we'll show you some nice roads. SEMPER FI LEATHERNECK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts