Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Feels like flying
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got back from my first long distance trip on the SE2. I must say, the ride was MUCH better than I was expecting! I put a Sundowner seat on and added the HD Ultimate Touring windshield. It provided good comfort and protection. Put on around 2000 miles in 6 days, with several 400 mile days. The seat seemed to take 2 days to break in but then was pretty comfy. I used the windshield for the longer days but had it off for the day trips we took from our hub in Gettysburg, PA. I may just be able to make this into a touring bike after all. :)

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Great.... Glad to hear you're getting the maximum benefit from the bike!

·
Registered
878 Posts
How are those sundowners??That much better than stock on long rides??ANd will they fit the DX??Wanting to get some long rides in myself soon!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I've had the Sundowner for 4 years now and like it very much. I have the matching passenger seat so my wife will ride with me once in a while too. It tends to be a good fit for the shape of my rump.

When choosing a seat I think there are a few things to consider....

1. Shape of seat compared to your butt. The more contact the better.... less contact surface means more pressure (pounds) per square inch of contact area (literally PSI). Increasing contact decreases PSI and reduces pressure points.
2. Padding - too thin and you bottom out (pun intended)
3. Positioning - Seats can move the ride vertically and horizontally. Be sure it doesn't put you in a spot where you cannot control the bike.
4. Cometics/Quality - fit, finish, material, can all influence whether you like the seat.

Sundowner covers 1-3 well for me. Eventually I'll have it recovered to take care of No. 4.

·
Army spark jockey
3,091 Posts
was wondering if it fit the DX also

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
It looks like there are different versions........From the HD web site:

Sundowner™ Rider Seat
With its wide and deep bucket shape, this Sundowner™ Rider Bucket Seat is designed to maximize rider comfort for the long haul. Styled to match the Original Equipment passenger pillion or the available Touring Passenger Pillion P/N 51780-07. This rider touring seat features a contoured bucket that provides additional lower back support. Seat width 13.0".

51778-07

Fits '07-later VRSC™ models (except VRSCR). Requires use of Original Equipment Passenger Pillion or Touring Passenger Pillion P/N 51780-07.

·
Feels like flying
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gstern75 said:
How are those sundowners??That much better than stock on long rides??ANd will they fit the DX??Wanting to get some long rides in myself soon!!!!!
I thought the Sundowner was quite a bit more comfortable than the stock seat on the SE2. On the stock seat, I would get uncomfortable after 2.5 hours. With the Sundowner, I was able to do 12 hour days with fairly good comfort, especially after the first 2 days. I also had my luggage bags behind me to use as a backrest for some of the trip.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
Falconfire said:
I thought the Sundowner was quite a bit more comfortable than the stock seat on the SE2. On the stock seat, I would get uncomfortable after 2.5 hours. With the Sundowner, I was able to do 12 hour days with fairly good comfort, especially after the first 2 days. I also had my luggage bags behind me to use as a backrest for some of the trip.
+1. I wonder why it took me so long to change to sundowner seat. It's very comfortable. Althought it does not look sleek but hey comfort is what I need with speed at the same time on this bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hurtin from Sundowner

Yesterday I replaced my Tallboy seat with a Sundowner. My first ride was about 2 hours and my arse hurt like hell afterward. Not sure if the seat has a break in period - and then it gets more comfortable? Do these seats have break in periods?
I'd like to stuff a little pillow under the leather of the seat. Or I might have to go back to the Tallboy.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
There's no break in period. If you sit on the seat and you feel pressure in spots, then it's not the same shape as your butt. That means you've got the wrong seat for your shape.

·
Registered
68 Posts
LiquidSilver said:
It looks like there are different versions........From the HD web site:

Sundowner™ Rider Seat
With its wide and deep bucket shape, this Sundowner™ Rider Bucket Seat is designed to maximize rider comfort for the long haul. Styled to match the Original Equipment passenger pillion or the available Touring Passenger Pillion P/N 51780-07. This rider touring seat features a contoured bucket that provides additional lower back support. Seat width 13.0".

51778-07

Fits '07-later VRSC™ models (except VRSCR). Requires use of Original Equipment Passenger Pillion or Touring Passenger Pillion P/N 51780-07.

I was thinking of buying the Sundowner Rider Seat from VMod.com but wanted to know on the 05 VRSCSE does the Rider Seat match up with the exhisting pillion? or does it look out of place? I don't have a passenger to worry about, but if it looks out of place then I will get the whole thing.
Right now I am still happy with the CVO seat but if the Sundowner is more comfortable then it will be worth the upgrade.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
808VRSCSE said:
I was thinking of buying the Sundowner Rider Seat from VMod.com but wanted to know on the 05 VRSCSE does the Rider Seat match up with the exhisting pillion? or does it look out of place? I don't have a passenger to worry about, but if it looks out of place then I will get the whole thing.
Right now I am still happy with the CVO seat but if the Sundowner is more comfortable then it will be worth the upgrade.
Sundowner is worth the upgrade. I replaced the pillion too since wifey rides also.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I switched to the Sundowner (rider & passenger) with back rest too. I love it. I can go all day pain free. I'm a hard ass though. My wife on the other hand hates riding on the back. Her legs & hips cramp up. Any remidy for her? B sensible guys, it's my wife were talking about here. OK. She's 5'7" 120 and long legs for her heigth with tiny but.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
where are the pics???

·
Registered
224 Posts
harleymon55 said:
I switched to the Sundowner (rider & passenger) with back rest too. I love it. I can go all day pain free. I'm a hard ass though. My wife on the other hand hates riding on the back. Her legs & hips cramp up. Any remidy for her? B sensible guys, it's my wife were talking about here. OK. She's 5'7" 120 and long legs for her heigth with tiny but.

I think Kury makes some rear peg brackets that put the pegs down and forward and inch or so. I've also seen pegs mounted on the swingarm pivot area, but that's almost too far forward, IMO, and would get in the driver's way as well.

·
Lets Ride...
475 Posts
Riding Comfort

The Sundowner Seat and Passenger Pillion work for me (6'4") and my wife (5'4"). I modified the seat somewhat raising it an inch and back about a 1/2" with a gel pad. The relocated passenger pegs to the swingarm pivot was a huge break for my wife. The location doesn't bother me at all. This pic pretty much shows how it works for us.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts