Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never used loctite before and never been aware of its use on any other bikes I've owned (if I couldn't undo something it was usually due to rust!)
I wondered whether it is commonly used on Harley's because of the vibration problem and if so is it really necessary on a V Rod?
I ask because with the very few things I have taken apart so far I have not used Loctite when I've reassembled.
Thanks
Christine

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
With my old softail and my ex Titan, mild Loctite(blue) was the standard for every nut, bolt disassembled, if you wanted them to stay tight indefinitely. On my vrod, I still use the blue, just a small amount, out of habit perhaps. I still think its a good idea on mirror or fairing or turn signal mountings, bolts and screws you don't plan on touching for years. But I would say as smooth as the vrod is and its lack of vibration, you probably don't need loctite on general fasteners except where required per the service manual. Compared to my former softail, its a very smooth ride.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Christine,

It`s always a good idea to put a small drop of loctite (I use blue) on anything you take apart on a v-rod - it stops them coming loose with the vibration.
Perhaps see you at the barn on Sunday !! Are you still on the 30T pulley or have you switched to the 28T yet ?

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Christine said:
if I couldn't undo something it was usually due to rust!
In addition to its threadlocking properties, blue Loctite also prevents the galling, or cold-welding, of threads we usually ascribe to "rust".

So, used correctly, it can actually make it easier to remove fasteners (when you want to) as well as help keep them in place. Usually a Loctited fastener will come loose with a light "snap" as the bond is broken, and then you rotate it free as normal.

I would absolutely recommend the use of a medium strength threadlocking compound on many of the trim and body fasteners on the V-Rod. Mirrors, switchgear, trim pieces, etc.

We have been somewhat guilty of using the term "Loctite" a little too broadly. Loctite is actually the brand name, but it covers a broad range of threadlockers, anti-seize compounds, sealants, and adhesives. When we say "Blue" Loctite, we refer to their medium-strength threadlocker. There are also red, green, and purple kinds. Don't get them confused, because the high-strength red kind literally can only be removed using a torch and power tools. For more information see this article.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone
I'd better go buy some then:D

Christine

Icehawk - my friends taking her CBT this sunday so I'm going along - also to find out about their instructor training. I still have the 30T

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have ever been on a 3000 mile trip, and you had your friends that had parts viberate off, and you didn't you would be a life long user of Loctite. I use it on my V-rod, because I like having PIECE OF MIND. Like the old saying "an once of prevention......"
Jason

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I had never heard of Loctite either until my dear hubby installed my reduced reach controls and got a drop of it in some crevice where he shouldn't have! Then when I went to down shift at stop signs or red lights, I could get it to down shift at all! You remember the old cars that had brakes that you had to pump up before they'd actually do anything? My shifter felt like that first time you step on the brake and it went to the floor. It would shift at all. So I tell hubby....."you don't know what you're talking about! You must not be doing it right! I'll ride it." Then he rode it right to the dealership and told them there was a defect! It turned out the defect was him!
He's been buying motorcycles from that dealer for 20+ years and knows everyone in there so they all gave him hell about messing up my bike!
I told the service manager today that I was due for my 2500 mi service but hubby wanted to do it himself and save money. You should have heard it- from every nook & cranny in the shop I heard shouts of "NO!!! Don't let him touch it!"
I can't wait to tell him that!
Of course now, I am scared to death to even look at a tube of Loctite cause I don't want to make a mess either! :jeannie:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts