Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing the engine guard, instructions call for Loctite 271 Red for the set screw that holds the foot controls.

This seems like overkill if I ever plan on removing the pegs again.

Instructions I'm referring to:
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/service/document/215977?locale=en_US

What's the consensus around here? The bolt came out without much fuss with no signs of any thread locker on there from when the previous owner installed different pegs.

I'm assuming any all purpose grease is OK for the assembly?

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
I only use red loctite on things that I never ever want to take apart again. It's just short of welding whatever your working on together.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here, which is why I find the use of red here so puzzling on the H-D install instructions. It's a small hex bolt, you'll strip the sh*t out of it trying to remove later with loctite red on there.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Do not do this. And make sure you don't use the stock set screw. Get a better quality screw (it is 6mmx1.0). You will be drilling that thing out if you ever need to remove it.

-Keith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.