Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

lockring tool uk

419 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Robbie 
#1 ·
i have a robin tank to install has any one in the UK a lockring tool to sell or lend i will off course pay postage thanks

#3 ·
Jim get yourself down to B&Q and buy a strap wrench. Cost you about a tenner. Then get a mate with a strong pair of thighs to support the tank while you twist and viola away you go.

If you need any more info PM me or Mr VRodder - we both have the Ricks tanks and are well chuffed. Dave is an expert on fitting them by the way.

Are you coming to meet us in Calne 21st July? Be nice to meet up.

Cheers

Jon

#5 ·
Skinbo said:
Jim get yourself down to B&Q and buy a strap wrench. Cost you about a tenner. Then get a mate with a strong pair of thighs to support the tank while you twist and viola away you go.

If you need any more info PM me or Mr VRodder - we both have the Ricks tanks and are well chuffed. Dave is an expert on fitting them by the way.

Cheers

Jon
PM SENT

#9 ·
Skinbo said:

Cheers

Jon
Point worth mentioning, You have to do the lockring up after the tank is installed with the Robin tank !!! I don't think this is possible with the "Boa" strap wrench as there will be no room to get wrench on.

Sorry to pee on your fireworks, now can someone who got the proper tool, sell it on or lend it out please?

#10 ·
Max sells them in the forum store

#11 ·
I installed my tank from Unlimited with out any special tools. I used an extra large channel lock pliers, true it is tight but do-able. One thing I would suggest is the opening up the area in the frame where the top of the tank protrudes thru with a burr grinder just the 2 sides, you'll see where the tangs of the tank locking ring hang up. I also used a bike ratchet tie down to draw the tank bracket in the extra 1/8th of an inch. (put the swing arm shaft back in the frame w/o the swing arm and loop the strap around the the swing arm shaft while routing the strap behind the tank bracket. As you tighten up on the ratchet it will draw the bracket in far enough to line up the mounting holes on the side of the tank.

It took me & a friend less than 3 hours to to do the job, the only thing that gave me trouble was the last page of the instruction where it shows you to move the filter assy up a half an inch. I thought that does not need to be done as I am running a larger tank. Also the inner blt heads that hold the fender struts needs to be ground down considerably as it make heave contact with the tank.

Started the bike up on the bike lift and it started & ran fine. Drove it to the gas station and hit the freeway after. It sputtered and rumbled like never before, after a few miles I pulled off on the side of the road where it died, and had a hard time starting up again and when it did I could not get very far slipped the clutch and everything else to get it to run, and not far.

The only thing we did not accomplish was moving the filter assy up that 1/2 inch, so we pulled off on the side and basically used a screwdriver to remove the tank locking ring from the top of the tank, pulled the unit assy out of the tank and moved the filter assy up approximately 1/2 inch no ruler. Put the assy back in the tank and damn if that didn't fix it. I knew as soon as the bike started that was the problem, cause she started up just like the v-rod always did, nice and strong.

Now I am enjoying the extra mileage, up to 160 miles city driving so far? No other problems.

Good luck

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.