Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to lock up your ride? I have an 03 with the original solid wheels. So no chains, cables or u-bolt locks. I tried one disc lock, the back side of the lock hit the wheel before I could get to any holes in the disc. I know some of you wonder why I would need to lock an old 03 - but its all I have and I want to keep it a little longer.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
I've always just used the neck/fork lock.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Same here, I've always used the fork lock. If they want it bad enough, a lock or chain isn't going to stop them

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
This is why I have insurance...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I sometimes use my Xena disc lock. It has a built in alarm that is
120db and goes off if anyone messes with the bike. Xena makes many different sizes and has a fitment guide to help. I printed out their fitment template and used it to figure out which lock would work best. The thing works great. I got the largest pin size available for my DX and it just barely fits. I also agree that locks only keep honest people honest, but 80 bucks for a litttle extra insurance and peace of mind, totally worth it to me. If the thief sees my lock and hears the alarm,he may pass mine up and take a bike without it.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
I have three built-in theft deterrents on my bike: the fork lock, the ignition lock, and the push button alarm (as opposed to the passive alarm on the newer Harli).

I rarely use any more than the push button alarm despite the lack of a helmet law here in Florida.

·
Registered
684 Posts
What i did on my 03 is i went to the dealer and bought the siren it is a opiton that did not come on the bike it only take's about 5 minute's to install it. it is just a small box that plug's in under the seat then if any one sit's on your bike or try to lift it up off the jiffy stand any one around will hear it .The wireing already done from the factory so when you push your fob it sit's or turn's the alarm off. mine is pretty loud and you will feal like a dumb A$$ when you forget to hit the fob and you sit on the bike with the siren going and the light's flashing. Mine was around $ 40.00 back in 04

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
I use the ignition lock, the neck lock, the security system and my buddy at HD found me an alarm.

Besides, who the hell wants to steal a Street Rod?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I use the rotor lock and went to slotted wheels to get the links threw to lock it up :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have the audible alarm from harley that disables the ignition, lights flash when moved, but I still have a masterlock disc lock. I have a locksmith friend that showed me how to easily break the steering neck loc. But worked for over an hour trying to get my disc lock off when I lost my key. Just a deterent if they really want it they'll take it. My feeling is a thief will make an initial attempt to take your ride if within a few seconds something stops him or slows him down he's off to find easier game. Good luck, Oh and I do have theft insurance on my 03 V-rod

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
When out and about, the HD siren, and the neck lock. At home it sits inside my back porch with the neck locked. If I will be away from home for an extended time I set the alarm. (It's always on a tender.)

And my house is surrounded by senior citizens, that watch my stuff all day!:notworth:

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
I'm with the insurance crowd :)... People who steel bikes for a living know about alarms and neck locks etc., they roll up in a pickup or a breadvan that has a overhead cherry picker, back up to your bike, disable the alarms, and are gone in less than 30 seconds... Oh and they take along big bolt cutters too :)... Like others have already said, bottom line if someone wants your motorcycle, it's gone... Alarms, chains, locks etc., just keep the lookie lews honest, the pro's know all the ways to defeat everyone of them... V-Rods are not on the list for bikes to be stolen, they don't hold enough value for anyone to make money off of them... Customs and antique bikes worth thousands are the one's they want... Insurance is always the best anti theft device :)... Just my 2 cents worth :)

·
(Peter)
488 Posts
I use the fork lock and a disc lock as well. I began using the disc lock when I had stock rims and had no problem using it. Locks are just going to keep the honest people honest. If anybody really wants your bike, your not going to be able to do much about it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts