Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I haven't bought a bike yet,I started talking to my local HD dealer,I mentioned that I would like to have a 280mm tire mounted before delivery,I'll be getting a vrod muscle,and something else at the same time for my wife,maybe another vrod or whatever she decides on,well the dealer said in the 1st email it would be costly,so I asked why,told them how others have been putting them on without any modifications,they sent back saying no I would need a new swing arm,wheel and everything else,they are saying it would be a liability to put that tire on a stock rim. I know it's not the best way to do it,but others have been doing it on here and as far as I know there hasn't been any problems doing it,so what do you all think? I sent back to them to check with the manager and see if that's what he thinks,or should I find another dealer in the area that would like to sell me 2 bikes.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Don't expect most dealerships to be mod friendly or to do anything that's not stock. Some are ok with it but most are pretty strict. It's a liability thing that can bite them in the ass.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
655 Posts
Tell them you will sign off on the mod and any warranty issues they will have with it.Be sure to get your signed copy of the specified list.My used bike came highly modified from the dealer and they pushed the extended Warranty like it was stock.The shit I've had dealers do to bikes by simply signing off on the work is astounding.I have found Harley is easier than the Japanese dealers in that respect.If they wont do it you have the power of walking out the door.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Don't expect most dealerships to be mod friendly or to do anything that's not stock. Some are ok with it but most are pretty strict. It's a liability thing that can bite them in the ass.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Putting normal harley mods are is one thing. Upgrading beyond what is stock or a normal mod such as a 280 tire is quite another.

As was pointed out it becomes a liability issue, and personally if I were running a business, I wouldn't do it either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's just odd that some will and some won't do the install,I'll just keep looking and try to find a dealer that wants to sell 2 bikes to me,you know with tis great economy we"re in bikes are probably hard to keep on the showroom floor.

·
on the hwy to hell
5,025 Posts
It's just odd that some will and some won't do the install,I'll just keep looking and try to find a dealer that wants to sell 2 bikes to me,you know with tis great economy we"re in bikes are probably hard to keep on the showroom floor.
get the bikes you want, take the bike and tire to an independent shop and have them put the tire on you'll probably save $

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Some dealers won't install a 250 on a 240 bike either. People are sue happy, I don't blame them. The liability isn't worth the $25!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts