Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys , i will try and give as much info as i can ,to solve this problem that could have torched my bike , firstly i was riding my bike and noticed the red key on the instrument cluster was on , i got home and then noticed i had no left indicators front or rear ,and when the security thing did its bleep bleep only the right indicators flashed on the rear and front and my heavt cycles tail light , ,i didnt check fuses cos one side worked ,i did check the front connector and all good ,,but when i turned the ignition on and off i could hear a funny sound under the rear seat ,after checking around i found the load equalizer was red hot and cracked starting to smoke , it was then i noticed the right indicators were still going ,i turned off the iggy but the indicators wouldnt turn off ,well i had that maxi fuse out faster than ive ever gotten to it before ,lol, , checked all the other wiring including the wires going up to the eqalizer and none were hot or even warm ,

the questions are

could a stuffed eqalizer cause one side of my indidcators to not work

is this what has made my red key come on or is this not related

do load equalizers occasionally go bad for no reason , and being totally honest about 2 years ago the equalizer was mounted a bit high and the seat was pushing down on it and there was a slight crack in it ,that i had forgotten i duck taped up ,could this be the issue that just got worse ,the white gunk over it is the residue from the duct tape

,p,s no i havent checked for codes ,its cold and late ,lol,just inside now relishing, ive just been very lucky the bike didnt go up in flames now or overnight ,phewwwwww

thanks guys sorry for the long post but i feel the more info the more likely i can get a answer thats correct

brett

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
...noticed i had no left indicators front or rear ...

the questions are

could a stuffed eqalizer cause one side of my indidcators to not work

is this what has made my red key come on or is this not related

do load equalizers occasionally go bad for no reason , and being totally honest about 2 years ago the equalizer was mounted a bit high and the seat was pushing down on it and there was a slight crack in it ,that i had forgotten i duck taped up ,could this be the issue that just got worse ...
Brett,
The red “key” icon coming on means you have a TSM/TSSM DTC set. It’s probably the B1121 (left turn output fault).

And yes, the load equalizer failing could easily cause this problem.

I don’t use (or need) a load equalizer so I don’t know much about how or why they fail “for no reason”. I have heard that some brands are better designed than others (don’t know why) and don’t know which ones are good or bad.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as always thanks steve ,i will go to the shops and get a new one ,

p,s hope ur well

thanks brett

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
I have to recomend the synthetic blinker fluid.... this would prevent anything from getting too hot...

If I know you I bet you are using blinker fluid from the 70's.... that stuff only works on pre- 1989 vehicles...

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks ,will see if i can find it ,mine only had three wires going in but i think they hack job spliced it somewhere in there , plugs would make it easier to undo when needed may need to check out my wiring a little more to see which one i need ,

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I have to recomend the synthetic blinker fluid.... this would prevent anything from getting too hot...

If I know you I bet you are using blinker fluid from the 70's.... that stuff only works on pre- 1989 vehicles...
:rofl:

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
That load equalizer must be the type that just uses ceramic power resistors. Throw that in the nearest trash can and get one of these, Badlands Load Equalizer III. Scroll down the page on the link provided till you get to the LEIII.

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks sammy they ownly had 28 at the store ,so i bought it ,and yes that other one was ceramic inside , freaking thing could have burnt my bike to the ground ,grrrrrr

·
brett
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i forgot to post this ,when i went to the dealers, that when i first got the bike they put the equalizer on ,i showed them equalizer and they just looked at it and said oh yeah thatll happen if u use u hazards ,well i never use my hazards ,so that wasnt the problem when i said that they had no idea of what would do it ,they just kept on sayng it must have been the hazards ,like it was an everyday occurance ,, not even a raised eyebrow ,just yup so u want a new one or what , ,that pissed me off ,but got me to thinking ,is our hazards a problem that i dont know about ,

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
The TSSM (second small sort of ecm) measures the current the bulb normaly draws. If the filiament is broken the tssm gives a warning to the gauge (red key) and the remaining indicators blink fast.
The equilizer levels the current back to normal to fool the tssm 'all is ok'. In the eqilizer sits a very fast on/off switching resistor... when the electronics what makes the resistor switch is constantly 'on' (broken) is gets too hot... with your results...
When the hazards are used, both wires feeds 12 volt to the unit... IF it's proper designed (should) it can handle that...
To me the reaction of the dealer tells you to never use the hazards again...

cheap equilizers or small resistors like kuryakin uses get hot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts