Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Links on changing oil

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  warc310 
#1 ·
Afternoon everyone. Got a question about changing my oil in my 09 muscle. I went to the dealership and I was told there are 3 places to change oil. Motor, transmission and primary. Are the any links you guys suggest to help me change my oil? Also what motor oil is suggested (brand and type)? Thanks everyone have a Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.

#3 ·
Run from that dealer! Change it yourself. Stupid easy! One plug, filter and 4.5-5 quarts 20w-50. Some guys unbolt the lower bracket that holds tha radiator assembly to the frame to gain some room but there is enough room to get to the filter with an extension and oil filter removal cap tool. i use Mobil 1 20W-50 vtwin oil. About $9 per quart. Make sure you use an oil that is designed for use in wet clutch.

Only feedback I can give is if you use a socket and ratchet to remove the oil pan bolt, use a short socket or break it free and remove by hand. If your not paying attention and your socket is too long, you will back it out and get the ratchet stuck against the lower support for the radiator. If this happens, DO NOt reverse the ratchet and try to tighten back into the pan as you could strip the pan. Unbolt the lower support to gain room to remove the ratchet. Don't ask me how I know this!

My 09 manual shows that cold engine should have oil to about half of the full mark on the dipstick when the bike is level. This is with screwing the dipstick in all the way to check. Warm engine should be at full mark.

On a side note, do you have abs on yours? If so, there is a recall to have the brake fluid flushed by dealer at no charge. Need to change the brake fluid every two years and unless you have the tool to cycle the abs unit, you will need to go to the dealer.

#5 ·
Air cooled harleys do have 3 places. This is not an air cooled Harley. Do it yourself, super easy.

Now just time to decide which oil is the "best".

#8 ·
I’d complete all above suggesting you to download the service manual of your bike. I already had problems with dealers and decide to do some service with them only if I don’t have tools to do myself.
As brand, I use Motul 7100 20W50 and K&N filter. Riding almost all work days, this combo is attending me well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.