Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would post this in the racing section and see if any of you racer guys know of anyone making something. I would like to replace my heavy steel frame with a lightweight frame that is just like the stock frame as far as shape and where everything is. Something along the line of like a chromoly replacement frame. I figure I could dump off a considerable amount of weight by doing this. Does anyone make a frame for the Vrod, it's a 07 DX model by the way.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lots of views so far but no info yet. Hmm, someone's gotta know of a lightweight frame for the Vrod.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bummer, maybe just have to see if I can find a frame builder or custom bike builder to make one for me then. Well, answers that question, thanks.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
if you really want to lose weight, try carbon fiber wheels, you will be surprised the weight difference, go here,and click on cool data

www.dymagdirect.com

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought about doing carbon fiber wheels as well, just am worried about their durablility on the street. If I were to hit a big enough bump or hole they would just break, whereas an aluminum wheel will more than likely just bend.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
my partner has had them on his ducati for 16 months now with no issues so far, as soon as they Dynomag makes a rear rim for the 240 tire i will invest.
the weight loss on all rotating parts has an 8 fold advantage

·
Frank
4,320 Posts
BADROD 3 was lightened up by using Chromolly from the neck back to the motor mount area then a lighter aluminum swingarm.

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
magnesium wheels are delicate, if they get chipped they deteriorate, and not approved for road use, carbon wheels are a lot stronger, and are totaly street legal, and most important... weigh less.
and are great looking

·
I hate motorcycles
198 Posts
vrscd_special said:
Thought I would post this in the racing section and see if any of you racer guys know of anyone making something. I would like to replace my heavy steel frame with a lightweight frame that is just like the stock frame as far as shape and where everything is. Something along the line of like a chromoly replacement frame. I figure I could dump off a considerable amount of weight by doing this. Does anyone make a frame for the Vrod, it's a 07 DX model by the way.
It would be quite hard to reproduce that frame without hydroform capabilites. You'd need one hell of a pipe bender.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, but if you can find a good bender. That would be a serious diet for the rod.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
santeg said:
my partner has had them on his ducati for 16 months now with no issues so far, as soon as they Dynomag makes a rear rim for the 240 tire i will invest.
the weight loss on all rotating parts has an 8 fold advantage
:them:
Are ya reading this Dynomag?

·
Formerly BobK
647 Posts
Kosman sells carbon fiber wheels from BST in South Africa a real quality wheel that is super lite and super strong. About 5 thousand for the whole set up front and rear but not only does it save a huge amount of weight but it saves it in the outer portion of the wheels where it has the greatest benefit. Go to www.blackstonetek.com to read all about them.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Qwk Rod said:
Kosman sells carbon fiber wheels from BST in South Africa a real quality wheel that is super lite and super strong. About 5 thousand for the whole set up front and rear but not only does it save a huge amount of weight but it saves it in the outer portion of the wheels where it has the greatest benefit. Go to www.blackstonetek.com to read all about them.
Holy Crappoly...... carbon fiber wheels for a 240 back tire. Sweet......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts