Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was down at Huntington beach for a bon fire party tonight. Noticed my tailight was not working... What would you do?

I feathered the brakelight going through the city streets, then flashed it off and on at stoplights. Then I got on the freeways and went faster than anyone else. Can't hit me from behind if their going slower :)

This DX is black enough at night, without a tail light it was like being invisible.

Just lost a rear turn bulb a few days before, and the other rear turn the week before. No other issues on the bike, but this seems really off. Only had the bike for 7 1/2 months with 5k+ on her. Anyone else lost their bulbs so fast? Would LED lights solve this problem?

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
Yes they would

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
That's odd to blow that many bulbs - I'd check the voltage regulator. Whole charging system, really - a loose cable might cause power surges.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a similar problem. The power wire to the turn signal was shorting out on the bulb housing. Take off the lens, pull the reflector/housing out, and check where the wires make a 90 degree turn to go back to the fender. You may have to pull your tail light out to get enough slack in the wires to see it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That would suck, I didnt like riding in Cali when I had all my lights much less not rear lights! Glad nothing happened hope it isnt anything major

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Funny, I've got just over 8K miles on my R and have replaced to right rear bulb about 4 or 5 times since I've had it. Its always the right rear :banghead: .

Figure if this is the only thing wrong with my bike, I've got it really good since its a cheap quick DIY buld replacement. There is a PepBoys around the corner of my house, and I always keep a few extra bulbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts