Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my Northern brothers.

I'm currently in Afghanistan but have a Canadian friend over here that has a DX and is buying the Ghost Rider Customs rear fender and was wondering how he was going to mount his license plate on the side. He knows it needs to be visible from both side of the rear. Is there any place that sells them for you guys?

Also, what kind of mount do they do for you guys with the Muscle? Is it different that in the states?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he's moving to one of those areas (somewhere in BC) where you have to be able to see the plate from either side. Isn't your (Canadian) plate bigger than the US's though? How did you fit it? Any pictures of yours? Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is only slightly bigger, a little trim off the fat and it fits perfectly. and have to drill new holes for the plate bolts

The deal is you should see from both sides, but if it's on the left you'll avoid on coming cops to think you have no plate.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Size matters!!!

BC plates are 5" x 8" while most US plates are 4" x 7" and our plate would have to be considerably "modified" to fit the US plate holders. Trimming plates is illegal in BC.The fine for illegal or improperly displayed plates was recently increased to $230. SOME police have been targeting bikes with non-standard plates and riders with non DOT approved helmets. Pictures attached showing the size difference and a standard 4 x 7 cover on a BC plate. Note that the insurance decal (and number on bottom) must also be fully visible and not obscured or modified in any way.

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/road-safety/motorcycles.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'll take a pic tomorrow Ontario plates line up differently number and sticker. Looks like to our advantage

·
Registered
33 Posts
The law still says the plate can not be mounted side ways, it must remain in a horizontal position and can not be turned.

You will get a ticket for this here from most cops and not have a leg to stand on in court.

Just my 2 cents, you can do what you like but I don't suggest it although I would love to get rid of the dogs azz myself!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, what a pain in the ass for you guys. And it doesn't seem like many companies make many alternatives for the Canadian plates.

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
If you are looking for a shock side-mounted horizontal, get with member KillerVRod. He was also able to make one a little bit larger for my non-US plate...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are looking for a shock side-mounted horizontal, get with member KillerVRod. He was also able to make one a little bit larger for my non-US plate...
Could you post a picture of yours please? Thanks

·
Life is great!
783 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
54 Posts
BC plates are 5" x 8" while most US plates are 4" x 7" and our plate would have to be considerably "modified" to fit the US plate holders. Trimming plates is illegal in BC.The fine for illegal or improperly displayed plates was recently increased to $230. SOME police have been targeting bikes with non-standard plates and riders with non DOT approved helmets. Pictures attached showing the size difference and a standard 4 x 7 cover on a BC plate. Note that the insurance decal (and number on bottom) must also be fully visible and not obscured or modified in any way.

http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/road-safety/motorcycles.htm
We had the same size here for years,,we kept cutting them,, they started making them smaller, guess some one in M.V. rode a H.D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Photo radar is always set up on the right side of the road. The camera is either post or vehicle mounted, but always on the right side. Mounting the plate on the left hand side of the bike could hide the plate from the camera's view, theoretically speaking that is.

I know the province I live in has a law in place that says mounted on the rear, visible from both sides. Photo radar is a money maker for local governments.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Today, It's all about the ALMIGHTY buck$$$$$$$$$.
Ride illegal till you get busted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts