Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day from DownUnder

I have bought a replacement set of levers from cyclesmiths. They haven't arrived yet and I wanted to canvas the general forum for installation tips in case they don't come with instructions. The retaining pins have c-clips on them so once I remove them they 'should' slide right out? Right? Will I have to bled the lines again afterwards?

Happy to be corrected and any advice is welcome. If you have a spare moment go to http://www.sprintex.com.au/Harley_Davidson_V_Rod_Supercharger_Kits.asp
and check out the kits. I got my supercharger through them and their after sales service has been nothing short of exceptional.

Cheers

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
pray that they are right... i got the HD levers for my AW and they wouldnt work, I double checked the part numbers and all, maybe they packaged the wrong ones up.. not sure

·
Freedom
614 Posts
DallasV Rod said:
Get a shop manual. That thing will pay for itself time and time again.
:them: :thumb:

·
EXCELSIOR
8,491 Posts
benjamin_lucky said:
G'day from DownUnder
I have bought a replacement set of levers from cyclesmiths. They haven't arrived yet and I wanted to canvas the general forum for installation tips in case they don't come with instructions. The retaining pins have c-clips on them so once I remove them they 'should' slide right out? Right? Will I have to bled the lines again afterwards?
Cheers
Your dis/reassembly impression is correct and you will not have to rebleed anything.
Get the right sized set of ring pliers and be gentle with them as they spring easy. The good thing is they can be re-arced as easy with some neednose pliers.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
Follow the advice above , get a workshop manual, the real deal not a clydes etc.

It is an EZ job to change levers. Only hard part is finding the mini clips when they fall on the floor.

Be careful with the cyclesmiths levers. I had a set on a Road King, no amount of adjusting could get the brake lever in correct position to work properly. 5 others interchanged and worked fine but the Cyclesmiths never fit.

I'm not knocking Cyclesmiths, I like their products and have their floorboards on my DX but some of their levers are defective

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
I bought new C-clips (or did they come with the levers).

There's also something about having to put a 3mm piece of cardboard where the brake lever hits the plunger or you will suffer unbearable pain and die or something like that. (Seriously)

Buy the manual!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
mikep said:
I bought new C-clips (or did they come with the levers).

There's also something about having to put a 3mm piece of cardboard where the brake lever hits the plunger or you will suffer unbearable pain and die or something like that. (Seriously)

Buy the manual!!!!

new c-clips YES, but you never seen the floor of my garage

The cardboard curse.......yes but it can be broken by using the eye of plastic cable tie.

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
laconia76 said:
but you never seen the floor of my garage
That must be because you've never invited me for a beer in your garage! :stilpoke:

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
mikep said:
That must be because you've never invited me for a beer in your garage! :stilpoke:

My garage got broken into a few years back. The only way we could tell was they cleaned the place up

The beer is waiting..........bring a ba.........room

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
I thnk we should give Ben his lever thread back. I'm headed over to Babaloo's or whatever it's called for a jugg of beer, the place that was Olivers in Hudson, thats now owned by the former owners of Bourbon St West

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
I could go for a ride... how long will you be there?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the advice folks, I have a manual and the cyclesmith levers did come with instructions. You have to be careful about not damaging the brake rubber boot or something so you can't just slam the brake lever in. They went in without a hitch - the hardest part was getting those dastardly c clips off and on. I even bought some pliers but they were too big. Looks great now. I installed an airhorn from Howards Hogs Horns too. A little modification - wired them up and now I can let people know EXACTLY how I feel when they cut me off. I will post some pics if any one is interested...

Thanks again for the help guys

Cheers

·
Grog
144 Posts
Air Horns!? Holy crap - I scare Hyundais with my stock horn!

Now, tell me, Ben, in your little pic...is that a model VRSCA? Very cool!

Grog
BrisVegas

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Little VROD

Hi Grog - Yes,
In the pic I have a remote controlled VROD. My then girlfriend - now Fiance got it for me. It is a little corker. I have seen them in Morgan and Wackers on the Gold Coast and they are as dear as poison, but she got it off ebay. She does great work - I got the chrome slotted belt guards for the valentine's day before last so I'm going to hang onto her ;)
Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts