Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wwent to the local harley dealership last night and after workin with the parts manager for a hour he got me to 150bucks of my internet price for muscle wheel setup, headlight conversion, turn signal relocaton kit, and with the trade off between no sales tax. Online but shipping and sales tax but no shipping in store I figure I saved like 100 dollars, I didn't order my tires for the wheels yet because I was going to get avon cobras but he said he didn't like those that they wear to quickly and he likes pirellies, metzlers, or another brand that doesn't make alarge enough rear tire. I was just wondering what everyone was running and some pros and cons so when I get my next paycheck I can order some tires

Thanks

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
do a search via the google custom search on the top left type "1130cc: tires" or whatever you are searching for. I have Avons and Lux has a good thread on this subject. It has been repeated many times. The Avons stick to the road and have a 10K+ life expectancy. They also are higher profile (raising your bike higher than the Metzlers). The Metzlers are shaped square vs the Avons are rounded... I prefer the Avons as I get a better lean angle...

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
To get a 250/260 (same size really) on the rear you have to go with Metz or Avon. Both are very well liked on this site. In the 240 size Pirelli's are getting a good rep. Not much so far in reviews on the Michelins yet. Dunlops are almost universally hated.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
dunlops suck ass. i have metz with 10k on them. and i like them.i think i'm gonna try avons for my next set when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I have had the stock dunlops, metzlers and now avons. I personally like the avons best so far. As stated above, they seem to stick to the road better. I have 3k on mine so far and they still look brand new.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
now mind you the rears didn't last me but about 5k but, i put 15k on a front avon,the newest style i think it was the "venom" and it had half the tread life on it when i crashed the bike. you won't go wrong getting avons.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I'll admit that as the Metz 260 on the stock rim gets to the end of it's life it becomes uncomfortable to maneuver at parking lot speeds. It feels like the center is flattened out and has a noticeable break over when leaning it over. It's fine and handles quite well until it's all but worn out though.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I'll admit that as the Metz 260 on the stock rim gets to the end of it's life it becomes uncomfortable to maneuver at parking lot speeds. It feels like the center is flattened out and has a noticeable break over when leaning it over. It's fine and handles quite well until it's all but worn out though.
:them:, but even when the metz develops that flat spot, it does NOT loose traction and grips 100 times better than a brand new dunlop

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I think the avons would look good as well as function well, when I pick up the rims in a few weeks I think ill go with the avons

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
i put 15k on a front avon,the newest style i think it was the "venom" and it had half the tread life on it when i crashed the bike. you won't go wrong getting avons.
FYI, OP: the Avons were not the cause of his crash!:D
:hidesbeh:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dunlops suck big time! I love avon venoms I must admit in this 20-40 degree temps the rear is less confidence inspiring I imagine so touring style tread would be better? Any hardcore all weather riders have input?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:them: I love the Nightdragons I'm running currently. Great dry and wet road traction, but I think the OP had his heart set on going to 250 or 260 rear.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Parts guy had mentioned. The night dragons but in his book they didn't make one for the rear, but now that I see that they do, ill have to let em know and ill prob go with those

·
ISU
1,446 Posts
All in all if you get anything besides Dunlop, you will be happy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Chat how about the michellins?, the HD dealer here has them, been through two sets of dunlops and have to change them at 8000kms.

Are the michellins worth it?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I got a new dx with the michelins on it and so far I like these tires pretty good they have about 800 miles on them and they seem to have pretty good grip both dry and wet. I will let you know more when I put a few more miles on it but they seem like a good tire. Anything is better than a dunlop though!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts