Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know all the people up in arms that HD once again hasn't "Re-Invented The Wheel" this year. Well, Everyone is Broke, They are laying off a bunch of people and trying to re-organize to stay on top while their ridiculous Merchandising Dept keeps churning out some of the most Laffable Crap anyone has ever seen, Which might actually Hurt the Co in the long run as Most people who DOnt want to play dress up or pretend they are in a 12 years olds world of Cowboys and Indians might want to avoid spending their money there.
Here are some "Highlights" I like in this years Line Up, Not All Brand New, some just Spit shined with new nail polish and Pomp.
"WARNING!!!! The FOLLOWING IS ALL OPINION AND NOT TO BE CONSIDERED FACT""

The Nightster: A Breath Of Fresh air when it arrived a few seasons back, Gone are the "Normal" Sportster PArts of Chrome nonsense and Huge Fenders and lights (AKA a "Midget Dyna") and instead a FActory Styled "Bobber" with thin lines and simple accents. Great Color Combos of Flat paints and Aluminum highlights. It was a Great leap forward in the Sportie world. Kept the Horrible Gray Metal motor, dunno why but they did.

The XR1200X Is a Really Sharp bike and a Stretch for HD to put in their American Line Up (was just released in Europe 1st, it was embraced and Excellent After MArket parts where Created instead of just he Standard Laffable Arlen Ness and Kuryakyn garbage that is churned out for most HD models every year)
Does it Compete with the Ducati's in its class? Some say No, Maybe a Few $1's to high, Some say they will only Buy HD etc... Those people dont count in the long run because people with No Intelligent opinion rarely matter at all when it comes down to it. I like it, I might have one if it where lower priced but If I was in the MArket I would buy the 1100 Monster. But I stop and look at it whenever I am in a HD dealership. Never test road one as I might just walk out with one if I did especially Now that they Did the Right thing and Blacked out the Motor and such and rid it of its Gray metal and plastic awfulness.

The 883 Iron; I have one in the garage, I love carving up the Canyons and darting in and out of city traffic on it. Its Great fun this bike and NOT unlike the Nightster its Rid itself from all that Bulky out of Date Sportster garbage and is Slim and simple, all Flat black (or Yellow now) Tins and Flate Black Motor etc.. with Aluminum Highlights. Great Price and simple bike. Is it a Powerhouse? No but not everything is suppose to be All things when you buy it, thats why there are different models.

The 48. People Seem to Love to Hate this Bike, It appears to go against Everything they believe a bike should be. All I can say is I LOVE it and Wish the Gurl had held off and bought one instead of the Iron. That front tire and rear and Black 1200 motor, flipped mirrors and seat position I find myself fawning over it every time I walk into the dealership. Holds 2.8 gallons, Another thing all these HD types like to harp on, once again, not every bike is meant to do Everything. I would ride the shite out of this bike more so than I do the Iron. I ask if I can make a Even Trade everytime I go in, they always say no. Why its $1000 More than a Nightster I do not know, I think That will keep the Bikes on the Dealership floors longer when people who only have 1 Bike compare it to the Nightster. Bad on HD's part, should be $1000 More than the 883 and $1000 less than the Nightster.

The FAt Bob, What a Nice Break from the Norm this bike is. Flat Paint, simple lines and minimal Chrome make it a Great looking bike, $15k? I dunno, seems fair price to me. Rarely do I see them this Nice as the 1st thing Most people do (after Buying ridiculous Outfits for themselves) is to "Mod" it up and make it a horror show. The Rear Fender for some reason still Plagues this bike and many others, its so terrible and out of date that it ruins so many bikes and Seldom do people ever remove it, it baffles me. The Headlamps are Excellent, Most Dummies remove them for some reason, dunno why.

Fat Boy Low perfect Example of the Old Style Rear end ruining this Revamped bike, Blacked out Motor (no Gray thank God) and Aluminum Highlights, But that Huge awful rear end, terrible.

The Wide Glide takes my Comment from above about the rear fender and LISTENS by implementing a Nightster styled rear fender thats simple and Nice instead of Bulky and terrible. Once again the Black (Not Gray Motor that Still Plagues many models) motor is Sharp and stunning next to either Chrome or Aluminum highlights.

The Rocker C, What Can I say, its been threatened with Cancellation many times, see few on the road and its Less Fancy counterpart model is now out of the line up entireley. I loved this bike (hate its Name) from the get go. That Rear end is the Best one in the HD line up, the Stretched out look and the Simple piant schemes it comes in make me want one badly. I never will, but I do stop and Gawk everytime I see one.

Last but not least is the ReVamped DX. I will hold off until I see the colors in person to judge, the Orange looks great in Picts (and I hate Orange) The Yellow looks a Bit bright BUT is called Yellow Chrome so once again I will hold off on judging. Do I wish they Just made this model on Denim Finish colors? Yes, But I am Not buying them all so who know, To Me HD Could have Ruined this Modle years ago by turning it into a Monstrosity like the AW with terrible color schemes and Do Dads etc... and never did. Still my Fav Bike in the HD Line Up.

I wont go into the Touring bikes, I dont like them, they all look the same every year, way over priced and limited technology. These models cater to the HD Mindless who find it more important to Show Up on a HD than to have the Best possible touring vehicle. There are So Many that look alike that HD must be selling lots, I know the Dealerships around here are Jammed with these Boats, Same with the CVO's etc... Factory Mods? its an OxyMoron.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
The Rocker C is the decked out bike with spare seat. They cancelled the cheaper model. At a hair under 20K, this better be the fancier one.

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
I can, they're cheap (except for the 1200X) and decent beginner bikes. On top of that, they're probably cheaper to build so the margin is decent.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
Very nice review David. I don't necessarily agree with everything you said but for the most part you really hit on the best-of-the-best HD is offering this year.

In the touring segment, I'd have to add the Road Glide custom as my favorite by a long shot. No batwing fairing, but rather a very functional fixed fairing, comes in Vivid Black as well as the Black Denim finish (I personally like the Vivid Black on this model) I am not a fan of the baby blue color nor the Sedona Orange. For a touring bike, very low, sports car like. Dual headlights are a perfect fit on the fixed fairing.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
Good news is that HD is in fact hiring new design engineers. Maybe they are looking into mixing it up with some fresh minds....one can only hope. I am incredibly tempted to apply, but I am unsure about a potential move from MA to AZ.

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
Lets Give the MoCo some Credit......

Who are you and what have you done with David?

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
Good news is that HD is in fact hiring new design engineers. Maybe they are looking into mixing it up with some fresh minds....one can only hope. I am incredibly tempted to apply, but I am unsure about a potential move from MA to AZ.
AZ? The testing facility?

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Lets Give the MoCo some Credit......

Who are you and what have you done with David?
I just know if anyone else had started this thread, he would have $hit himself up, down and sideways. Boy, I wish I had!! Maybe all that time in a Sportster saddle is infecting his brain by osmosis.

I can, they're cheap (except for the 1200X) and decent beginner bikes. On top of that, they're probably cheaper to build so the margin is decent.

Beginner bike? Interesting take. Because it's a bit smaller?
I know this, it has more HP, quicker acceleration and a lot more handling than all the other air-cooled models. It ruled the roost - such as it was - before the Revo.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
The Sky is Falling... The Sky is Falling...

Run for the hills....

The world is going to end....

The hell with women and children first......RUN!!!!

Lux complimented Harley.... run fast!!! :bolt

·
Banned
2,209 Posts
I just know if anyone else had started this thread, he would have $hit himself up, down and sideways. Boy, I wish I had!! Maybe all that time in a Sportster saddle is infecting his brain by osmosis.

Beginner bike? Interesting take. Because it's a bit smaller?
I know this, it has more HP, quicker acceleration and a lot more handling than all the other air-cooled models. It ruled the roost - such as it was - before the Revo.
I know a fair amount of women who's first bikes have been the 883. I've ridden a few and they're not what you've described. The 1200's, especially the XR1200 have some zing. Maybe I should have said, beginner to Harley or entry level.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know anything about the trikes, I do know when I am at the dealers and see one I want to jump on it and tide the shite out of it, I don't know if that's possible ad I know little about them, if they are fast ( not stupid fast like most like to drone on about) buy quick enough to get out of it's own way it looks fun.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts