Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well everyone I bit the bullet and purchased these shocks. Ran them pretty good today two up and adjusting until the wifey said this was the way to go. She dont feel them jolts like before. For me its a different bike. Damn thing floats while cruising, it never did that. And still handles well and I can just reach back there and adjust that knob and we are off to the races. :) And the spring adjustment just make it even better to fine tune even more, Guess u can tell I am satisfied. Pricey yes and I wasn't sure about the look on the bike. But it works and looks good. Its Pretty damn cool to be able to fine tune like this. I like finding that sweet spot.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Very interesting. I'm glad you wrote a review. I currently have Progressive 444s but I am not a huge guy and I have always had that harsh spine jolting hit over sharp bumps. They just always seemed to stiff on the lightest setting. These Legends might be the answer, although quite spendy...

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I never understood guys that want a 25" or less seat height and put stubby short travel shocks on their bikes - Upgrading forks and shocks is as much safety as comfort IMHO. The wife and I went over a set of mounded RR tracks on a recent ride on my R Model - my one bud on his FXR with stubby shocks was next behind us and his back end bottomed out and bounced up in the air as seen by my other bud on the next bike back. Luckily he held onto it but really dangerous - and slowing down for RR tracks can get you rear ended by vehicles that don't slow down. That's the difference between form & function, and the R suspension, as fairly good as it is, can use upgrading as well - it's just hard finding 15.75" - 16" shocks with full travel and not just eyelet extended shorter shocks - I'm looking fwd. to pulling the trigger like you did KRR - thanks for the review ! (y):cool:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I also noticed the shocks are lighter. Not to be deceived if you are riding over a real bumpy road at a high rate of speed its not comfortable. But it dont hop. That could still be because I still did not set it right with the fine tune adjustment. And it really does work. I thought nah, probably cant tell much. But u can, its just finding the balance between the spring adjustment and rebound dampening adjustment. I have the regular shock instead of the heavy duty. It is said if u ride 2up more than 50% of the time get the heavy duty. Me and wifey weigh 300 together and she dont ride daily. Maybe once or twice a month. I would think if you weigh over 180 you may need heavy duty. Maybe.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Good info krr - are those approx the same length eye to eye as stock ? Looks like they have more actual shock shaft travel - which will increase rear wheel suspension travel, which is great for big bump absorption and plushness - just have to be careful nothing bottoms out like tire into inner fender liner, swingarm into fuel tank etc. I imagine they recommended the correct eye to eye length and shock travel combination for your bike - BTW they look great on your bike ! (y)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
They look really good. I have heard nothing but good reports about them.
I think it's a toss up between them or Ohlins if you want a quality ride with good performance.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
The toss up is over unless you got another $ 300-500 for Ohlins - I love them but man they aren't cheap plus I heard they got bought up by another company in Italy ? and they are reducing material quality to create more profit, but I haven't heard any negative reports yet. Also to consider JRI, Race Tech, Fox Shocks, ( Penske is the most expensive ) they're all good and US made. Don't buy the cheap China knock-offs on e bay for like $ 69 yea they look flashy but not a quality shock for a high speed bike - at least not for me, save up & buy something with a good name & great reviews not a shock worse than stock H-D, and you'll be happy .

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The toss up is over unless you got another $ 300-500 for Ohlins - I love them but man they aren't cheap plus I heard they got bought up by another company in Italy ? and they are reducing material quality to create more profit, but I haven't heard any negative reports yet. Also to consider JRI, Race Tech, Fox Shocks, ( Penske is the most expensive ) they're all good and US made. Don't buy the cheap China knock-offs on e bay for like $ 69 yea they look flashy but not a quality shock for a high speed bike - at least not for me, save up & buy something with a good name & great reviews not a shock worse than stock H-D, and you'll be happy .
Damn, and I really liked the look of those Yong Yings on Ebay! Now you've made me have to rethink!! 🤣 🤣

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
rc4man - sounds like the shocks are lighter than the H-D steel boat anchors so even if not these can't go upside down they're still probably less in unsprung weight - And when we're considering the rear end of a 240 tire V Rod with what 65 -75 Lbs ? of unsprung weight in the wheel, tire, rear pulley, disc, brake caliper and about 1/2 of the swingarm weight etc. an upside down shock that saves maybe 2-3 Lbs or 3-4% of that very heavy unsprung weight total is not any real advantage anyone would ever feel - unlike the difference a real quality shock makes. In our power cruiser M/C category USD shocks are really more of a styling move unless its a top dog piggy back reservoir type that's gotta be USD to function properly, and those might look great but are probably functional overkill ( in addition to being wallet busters :oops: ) -

·
VRSC est -03
3,094 Posts
Congrats with new shocks!
Do not throw away the old ones, comes handy if you ever have to service the newer ones. Or selling the bike...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do not throw away the old ones, comes handy if you ever have to service the newer ones. Or selling the bike...
[/QUOTE

Yeah put the old ones in the attic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts