Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proud of myself for installing engine guards, replacing the lower frame rail and shift lever, and straightening the triple tree. And I must have done it right because I have these guys left over! Household hardware Auto part Engineering Metal Nickel

But seriously, any idea where they are from? They are #5 hex bolts and are the same size as the pinch bolts that came with the engine guard mounts.

Sam

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like they could be the two bolts that hold the mufflers to it's bracket.
Thanks for the suggestion. These are actually smaller: M8 x 1.25 x 30.
Maybe they came from inside the instrument cluster when I opened that up, or behind the radiator fairings?

I'm totally stumped. I'm going to go through the service manual with fine toothed comb and figure it out...

·
EXCELSIOR
8,555 Posts
Your foot pegs, keep the spindles from rotating and coming out.
You had to remove them to install the engine guard clamps on the lower frame rails. You're supposed to put them back in through the provided access holes in those clamps.
That would be my guess.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
That's what I thought until he said they were M8

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your foot pegs, keep the spindles from rotating and coming out.
I think that's right. I remember finding them and two other, shorter bolts with the same thread and figured the shorter ones went into the pegs. If I put the wrong ones in, I wonder where THEY were supposed to go? :D

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Proud of myself for installing engine guards, replacing the lower frame rail and shift lever, and straightening the triple tree. And I must have done it right because I have these guys left over!
LOL. I just replaced my gas tank with the Super Tank. Had the Clymer manual out the whole time. I was TOTALLY afraid of ending up with a spare bolt! I guess I got lucky! I too thought those looked like the foot peg bolts but I think the pegs would be rotating all over the place if you didn't put them in. My first thought was that they look like the bolts that hold the screamin eagle exhausts together. If you remove them, they don't seem to have much effect unless you are trying to remove the sleeved portion of the exhaust.

Your post was funny, but only because I have been there many times.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts