Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 VRSCX 1250CC engine HFSM module
The left turn signal does not work if you attempt to activate it from the left handlebar control
There is no problem with the right turn signal.

Here is the kicker: I can energize both turn signals as emergency flashers by depressing both turn signal buttons at the same time.

The light connectors etc. must be good. The handlebar button and wires must be good so where can the problem be?

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm leaning toward that. I do have a spare HFSM. I could take a hour and install it.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
2007 VRSCX 1250CC engine HFSM module
The left turn signal does not work if you attempt to activate it from the left handlebar control
There is no problem with the right turn signal.

Here is the kicker: I can energize both turn signals as emergency flashers by depressing both turn signal buttons at the same time.

The light connectors etc. must be good. The handlebar button and wires must be good so where can the problem be?
I tend to agree about the switch etc functioning, but I would still check that you get 12v on the White/Violet wire exiting the switch harness. If yes I would then check to see if that 12v appears at pin 8 at the HSSM. Then you can check for an output from the HSSM on pin 5. I am pretty sure that is what is going to be missing, but then working when you activate 4 way. Definitely smells like faulty HSSM to me.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
No codes? Could be several things other then the TSM itself. High resistance in either front or rear socket, bulb, wiring etc. Poor handlebar switch. Does it flash when the security arms? Will the right signal cancel using the left button? Not sure if you tried new bulbs yet as they are capable of some really weird shit sometimes.
Ron

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
What made me lean towards the HSSM was the fact that when he presses both switches it goes into 4 way flashers which would suggest that switches wiring etc are good.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Slight revision of the problem symptoms:
When activating the emergency flashers, I press both left and right switches and the lights begin to flash but only the right ones. The left ones are not flashing. As for the lights on the IM only the right one flashes.
When turning the ignition off both sets of lights blink when the security system activates.
I will look into on how I can verify the voltages.

Edit 10:53AM Left turn signal does not cancel the right turn signal.

Reactions: rc4man

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
When activating the emergency flashers, I press both left and right switches and the lights begin to flash but only the right ones. The left ones are not flashing. As for the lights on the IM only the right one flashes.
When turning the ignition off both sets of lights blink when the security system activates.
Ah!! That's a little different. First you need to make sure you have 12v on the white /orange wire going into the switch, then either verify 12v comes back down the white/violet wire from the switch when it is pressed or alternatively check you have continuity between those two wires at the plug when the switch is pressed. If all is good then check back to the HSSM as I said before. With this info it sounds more like a switch problem or broken wire in the handlebars rather than HSSM

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
In the E manual there is gobs of test procedures but start here. I agree the switch will be used for both signal and four ways, so it seems to be pointing to your handle bar signal switch , as I see it. It would appear signal and 4 way are different circuits as well. Having both crap out on the left, might be a good thing, diagnostic wise.
Ron

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The biggest problem I have is gaining access to the test points. I have been unable to extract wires from those effected connectors and I cant probe for voltage if the connector is disconnected.

I will figure something out. Right now it is to cold outside to do much of anything.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem solved. Two bare wires inside the cable were touching, grounding out the 12+ volt wire (O/W). Cable has been like that for at least 5 years. It must have had enough and when I was routing around behind the headlight I must have jostled the cable enough that the two wires contacted each other causing +12 Volts to be shorted.

Your mistakes will eventually come back to haunt you.

Thank for all the suggestions. They led me to the resolution.

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did it to myself 5? years ago. Can never be to careful.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Great job fixing it Rusty G ! So how many miles are left to turn 200,000 ? You are the hyper mileage master, keep on riding ! Do you want to sell your steering head bearing puller set yet ? I got my new bearings sitting here ready to install - pm me when you can Thanks -

·
Premium Member
11,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have just moved into a new home and are inundated with name changes new and old services that need cancelling and starting up etc. etc, etc. What a nightmare moving is..

I will drag out what I have in the next couple of days and see what's what.

Reactions: streetrodracer
1 - 20 of 23 Posts