Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bud and I both now have side mount plate holders.

His and mine have LED's for the running lights.

These LED's have two wires, guessing + and - wires.

So who has a step by step on wiring them, and what load equalizer to use?

Mine is an 08 DX, his an 09 DX.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
if they're just running lights, you should not need a load equalizer

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
into the existing tag lights at the dog ass or where the dog ass was. You could also wire them into the accessory fuse under the passenger pillions and they'll go on and off with the key switch.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Wire it up and test it before you worry about a load equalizer. I run LED's in tail-light and rear blinkers without an equalizer. I believe however, if I were to run LED front signals I would need an equalizer. Reason being that the LED's do not present enough of a "load" to initiate the actual blinker module, the equalizer simply shows an electrical load to that unit.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
So my bud and I both now have side mount plate holders.

His and mine have LED's for the running lights.

These LED's have two wires, guessing + and - wires.

So who has a step by step on wiring them, and what load equalizer to use?

Mine is an 08 DX, his an 09 DX.
The TSSM does not monitor the tag light so you won't,or shouldn't need an equalizer.
The reason for the equalizer,when using LED's as TS signal lights, is to create enough resistance in the signal light circuit so the TSSM,or TSM,doesn't see the low resistance as an outed light.
Some LED lights do create enough resistance to keep the module from thinking a light is out.This is why some need the equalizer,and some don't.
Regulations say the operator must know when a signal light is out.On the V-Rod,the dash TS indicator light,and the other lights in the circuit that are not outed, will blink fast when low resistance is seen,telling the operator that probable cause has been created for a cop to pull you over and make you pay money because your safety is in jeopardy!:broke:

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The TSSM does not monitor the tag light so you won't,or shouldn't need an equalizer.
The reason for the equalizer,when using LED's as TS signal lights, is to create enough resistance in the signal light circuit so the TSSM,or TSM,doesn't see the low resistance as an outed light.
Some LED lights do create enough resistance to keep the module from thinking a light is out.This is why some need the equalizer,and some don't.
Regulations say the operator must know when a signal light is out.On the V-Rod,the dash TS indicator light,and the other lights in the circuit that are not outed, will blink fast when low resistance is seen,telling the operator that probable cause has been created for a cop to pull you over and make you pay money because your safety is in jeopardy!:broke:
I will wire/splice the LED's for the plate mount into the standard wires from the dogass for the lights for the plate.

He did get LED turn signals, and I am about to put them on the fender.

What load balencer would you recommend for those. Better safe than sorry.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
if you are only adding LED signals to the rear, you may not need a balancer. Install and try it out first.

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well everyone, thanks for the help.

I installed a set of rear turn signals and plate mounting bracket on my buddies bike. He has an 09 DX.

Everything works fine, and no need to drill or enlarge the holes on the brackets for the turns.

The LEDs in the turn signals, and on the side mount plte holder work fine, and no need for a load balencer.

They look good, and he is happy with it.

What you think?

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your help, went ahead and spliced the stock turn/plate wires and hooked everything up before install.

Tested and checked the gauges to ensure they worked right. All did so went to installing it all.

After a little bit it was all on, and looking good and clean.

Going to pull it out as soon as my bud gets the bars he wanted shipped to my house to install them.

And after that I will post some pics up of it complete.

This is by no means an in depth job, nor hard to do looking at it in the end.

But for a Infantryman in the US Army, I would say it turned out good for someone who only really breaks/blows up stuff.

·
INFANTRYMAN
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My buddy bought them, and I installed them on his bike.

The signal mounts are from GRcustom.com, also the turn signals and side mount plte too.

I myself am going a different route. I would say if that is the look your going for, by all means. But if it's just you want to clean up the back area of the dog ass there are better ways for way less money.

·
boo
5,211 Posts
yeah, those also look funny to me. megaz makes some relo brackets that use the saddlebag mounts. look better i think

·
Just a big ole Doof
919 Posts
Looks Good. You can also run the wires through the swingarm to hide them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts