Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some (kinda cheap...only 40 bucks) LED turn signals. They look pretty nice and I like the halo running light on the fronts.

Of course they draw much less power and trigger B1121 and B1122 codes on the TSSM. I found this equalizer on the Biketronics web site. Seems like a lot of money for what it is doing. Funny thing is that if I just install the front LEDs and leave bulbs in the back, I don't trip any codes. I only get the codes when I replace the front and the rear. I guess with just the fronts in, I am still within the TSSM's expectations for current draw on the signals.

Here's my thought. I could simply put a high wattage resistor across the purple/black and brown/black wires at the rear of the fender and isolate them so they don't contact anything that would be affected by heat. Of course, even a high wattage resistor won't get that hot if it is only absorbing current while blinking at a stop light, so I don't see that as really being an issue. I could simply calculate the amount of resistance needed based on the current drawn by the LED blinkers and the current drawn by the filament bulbs and get the difference. According to the manual, the bulbs would draw about 2.25 amps per side. That seems like a butt load of amps for a small bulb but who am I to argue with the HD owners manual! Some of the cheaper equalizers are simply that...a couple power resistors. I can buy 10 resistors for about 6 bucks.

Has anyone tried this before? I'm fishing for opinions from my experienced brethren.

·
Registered Insane
2003 VRSCA
260 Posts
Sounds like you are pretty electrical savvy. It is beyond me to do this myself.. But..That part looks super expensive for what it does. Too bad there are no more Radio Shacks!

-Sean

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I just got some (kinda cheap...only 40 bucks) LED turn signals. They look pretty nice and I like the halo running light on the fronts.

Of course they draw much less power and trigger B1121 and B1122 codes on the TSSM. I found this equalizer on the Biketronics web site. Seems like a lot of money for what it is doing. Funny thing is that if I just install the front LEDs and leave bulbs in the back, I don't trip any codes. I only get the codes when I replace the front and the rear. I guess with just the fronts in, I am still within the TSSM's expectations for current draw on the signals.

Here's my thought. I could simply put a high wattage resistor across the purple/black and brown/black wires at the rear of the fender and isolate them so they don't contact anything that would be affected by heat. Of course, even a high wattage resistor won't get that hot if it is only absorbing current while blinking at a stop light, so I don't see that as really being an issue. I could simply calculate the amount of resistance needed based on the current drawn by the LED blinkers and the current drawn by the filament bulbs and get the difference. According to the manual, the bulbs would draw about 2.25 amps per side. That seems like a butt load of amps for a small bulb but who am I to argue with the HD owners manual! Some of the cheaper equalizers are simply that...a couple power resistors.
You can get this type of thing pretty much anywhere. They are heatsinked so the heat is less of an issue. One per side at the back, When I used them on my old LED indicators I riveted them to the aluminium inner fender so they stayed even cooler.

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! Thanks man! this is exactly what I needed to know!
Motorcycle this 8 Ohm, 25W resistor

Even though that item is REALLY cheap...it is an overseas shipping deal, so I'll get some resistors from Amazon so that I get them in a few days. I'll do what you said as well and heat sink them. Great idea!! Thanks for the link too. If my resistors don't go as planned, I can always fall back on the item in your link.

THANKS!
Joe

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Awesome! Thanks man! this is exactly what I needed to know!
Motorcycle this 8 Ohm, 25W resistor

Even though that item is REALLY cheap...it is an overseas shipping deal, so I'll get some resistors from Amazon so that I get them in a few days. I'll do what you said as well and heat sink them. Great idea!! Thanks for the link too. If my resistors don't go as planned, I can always fall back on the item in your link.

THANKS!
Joe
There are dozens of different people selling them on Ebay also.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a similar set of LEDs installed on the rear turn signals on my V. I love the halo effect.

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI, to get rid of the fast flashing (and DTC codes), you will need to install a "balancer" so that the TCCM thinks you are drawing an old fashioned bulb's worth of current. The LED's draw a lot less power and the TCCM thinks you have a burned out bulb.

Here's what I did and it has worked great and is a lot cheaper than buying a module online. You will need to do a bit of soldering but it will save you 50 bucks or more.

I bought the following two resistors from Amazon and wired them in parallel to each of the rear signals. Basically, for each pair of wires to the rear turn signals, I "crossed" the resistor across the positive and negative wires. This causes the turn signal to draw the correct amount of current when the signal is turned on. It's a waste of power, but the TCCM is not adjustable for older VRods and you just have to fool it. The resistors take a bit of room but I found if it double stick tape them at the very back end of the fender (the fender under the painted fender) so that it does not interfere with the tail light, it fits fine.

Here's the resistors I bought. $8.89 and I got them the next day with Amazon Prime.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts