Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi does anyone know of a company who makes a LED TURN SIGNAL ASSEMBLY for the 2012 NRS .. I have seen them for the pre 2012 but not my bike.

Thanks

·
SpeedoDocter
2,363 Posts
Can you show by a picture or so what you need? front/rear?
maybee i have a few idea's. just not have seen the '12 closeby.

·
Registered
215 Posts
There are a lot of places that sells the LED signal strips. use the Search button and there are tons of thread about them. The one that comes to mind first is Radiantz and GR Customs. I know there are a lot though. Sorry, too tired to look um up tonight.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a lot of places that sells the LED signal strips. use the Search button and there are tons of thread about them. The one that comes to mind first is Radiantz and GR Customs. I know there are a lot though. Sorry, too tired to look um up tonight.
thanks for your help, Problem still remains that none are for the 2012.. I don't want a strip light, I want the whole assembly with a bracket, pretty much a kit ready to go with a voltage reducer, purpose built for the 2012 NRS

·
Aces & Eights
154 Posts
Don't know about a kit but it's a simple and straightforward DIY project. There are lots of great examples in the 1130cc.com archives. I used the following parts:

(1) Radiantz Custom Flexible LED array (6.6in) (2.4in) (6.6in) (Amber LEDs) (Smoke Tube)
(2) Radiantz Dual Element Circuit for Flex (30-60 LED)
(1) BikeTronics BT-801V Smart Equalizer

Strip/sheet aluminum and fasterners came from Lowe's. Black paint from Autozone.

Integrated turn signals operate as running lights and turn signals. Integrated brake light function maps to the red center section of the LED strip.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
(1) Radiantz Custom Flexible LED array (6.6in) (2.4in) (6.6in) (Amber LEDs) (Smoke Tube)
how is this working out for you? any issues? I figured would need a bigger duel element since its 100LED per foot and you have just over a foot?

·
Aces & Eights
154 Posts
how is this working out for you? any issues? I figured would need a bigger duel element since its 100LED per foot and you have just over a foot?
Actually, I'm running 3 separate dual element circuits: one each for the right and left turn signal/running lights and one for the center brake light.

No issues at all.

·
Registered
215 Posts
any way we could see a pic under there of that? also, did you need a equalizer since they are led and stock are bulbs? Have you replaced the front signals yet? Sorry for all the questions and hijacking thread :p

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't know about a kit but it's a simple and straightforward DIY project. There are lots of great examples in the 1130cc.com archives. I used the following parts:

Strip/sheet aluminum and fasterners came from Lowe's. Black paint from Autozone.

Integrated turn signals operate as running lights and turn signals. Integrated brake light function maps to the red center section of the LED strip.
Looks good almost there, In Australia we need to have the number plate at the rear of the bike like the one I posted, I really need a way to mount the plate, but those leds are great and what I am after.

thanks for the input and it looks great

·
Registered
215 Posts
Actually, I'm running 3 separate dual element circuits: one each for the right and left turn signal/running lights and one for the center brake light.

No issues at all.
why are you running three? I talked with the guys at radiantz and they said you can use 1 and wire them all together and would still function same?

·
Aces & Eights
154 Posts
why are you running three? I talked with the guys at radiantz and they said you can use 1 and wire them all together and would still function same?
I added the Smart Equalizer because I'm running the 56mm TrueWraps LED Fork Turn Signals from GhostRider Customs on the front forks and was getting the fast-blink effect. Once I added the BikeTronic, blinker operation returned to normal.

The only reason I'm using three dual element circuits is because it seemed at the time to make the most sense. The Radiantz LED bar drops four wires: one for the left amber LED array; one for the center red LED array; one for the right amber LED array; and one ground. I connected the single lead of the dual element circuit to each one of the wires coming out of the flexible LED bar (omitting the black ground wire, of course).

I then wired everything up into the stock H-D STT Module turnsignal and taillight connectors... So, each individual LED strip now has the two dual element wires to connect - one for constant power (running lights) and the other for the turn/stop function. I connected these wires to their corresponding block interfaces 6 (turn/stop) & 7 (power) for the Left Turn Signal and 3 (turn/stop) and 4 (power) for the Right Turn Signal in the stock Harley-Davidson connector. The center red LED strip is controlled by a separate STT interface module and I attached these wires inline to pins 2 (power) and 3 (stop).

Like I said, I did it this way for two reasons: 1. I didn't want to splice or tap into any wires and wanted to use the stock H-D STT module connectors and 2. I didn't know any better and it made the most sense to me because I wasn't changing the way that H-D had originally done it.

If Radiantz says you only need one Dual Element connector then obviously I've added unnecessary complexity to the solution.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thanks for the play by play. To be honest it makes more sense now. I also want to use the stock connectors, I just need to get them from the dealer. Did you get yours from the dealer? Still have a part number?

For the brake, did you just take the wires and slip them into the existing plug or did you have to re-do the brake plug also?

Sorry.. and thanks.

·
Aces & Eights
154 Posts
Thanks for the play by play. To be honest it makes more sense now. I also want to use the stock connectors, I just need to get them from the dealer. Did you get yours from the dealer? Still have a part number?

For the brake, did you just take the wires and slip them into the existing plug or did you have to re-do the brake plug also?

Sorry.. and thanks.
I purchased extra crimp pins (Receptacle, Contact, 20-16 GA/PN: 73191-96) from H-D (they come 10 to a pack) and the turn signal receptacle housing (Receptacle, Housing, 8-Position/PN: 73158-96BK).

When I pulled my D/A I wanted to leave everything (including the wiring harness) intact and in original OEM condition otherwise I would have just used a pin extractor and re-used the original connector to wire the turn signals and license plate light.

When you pull your rear fender you'll see the integrated taillight wiring harness running up the underside of the fender. To connect the center stoplight LED strip I did pull the pins and spliced and crimped the LED leads and the stock taillight leads together and re-inserted it into the existing stock housing.

That way everything was completely plug-and-play at the STT Module end.

·
Aces & Eights
154 Posts

Sorry.. and thanks.
BTW, you probably won't need it but since it was part of your original question the part number for the housing for the rear taillight is: Housing Receptacle, 4-way (Black)/PN: 73154-96BK.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There are these, but according to the HD catalog they are not legal in the US as they aren't DOT approved -

http://www.v-mod.com/shop/viewCategory.asp?CID=64,190,614

Also, they are not cheap ! And you need to buy a VRSC fitting kit ...
harley just wants you to buy their parts for prices none of us can afford. love my vrod but harley may be one of the biggest scams I have ever been a part of or witnessed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
harley just wants you to buy their parts for prices none of us can afford. love my vrod but harley may be one of the biggest scams I have ever been a part of or witnessed.
Tell me about it ! I got a set of those LED indicators for a bargain price, but had to pay full price for the fitting kit, which was a little annoying as I only wanted the wiring harnesses (there are two of them) and it worked out cheaper to buy the whole kit than order the harnesses separately ...

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah anyway can we please keep this thread on topic ? LED Tail light assembly for the 2012 NRS ... Cheers

1 - 20 of 37 Posts