Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed led bulbs in my rear t.signals.The right side works.The left side won't even light.The left front works.Swapped bulbs,same thing.On a regular 1157 it reads 240 ohms, 0 on the led.Why does the right work and not the left.Should I install a resistor to make it happy? Would I put it in the pos or neg wire? I have the recomended stop turn module installed.

Elrod on the V-Rod :(

·
Registered
214 Posts
I tried this too. But mine would blink normally for about 3 seconds then go into super-fast blink mode. I tried them on my Dads Suzuki Intruder and they worked fine. So I gave them to him and ditched the idea until I can get some real LED's from Doc.

·
Registered
154 Posts
what ever you figure out...let me know as I would like to add them

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
It sounds like you need a compensator inline with the bulbs. What manufacturer did you buy them from, and do they offer a compensator?

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
you could definitely try the load equalizer, it may fix your problem. Although I have only seen where the signals blink fast and/or the security light in the instrument cluster stays on and I know the load equalizer will fix that... not 100% about your problem as I have not encountered it before.

In case no one saw this coming ;) ... if they are the "AutoZone" type 1157 LED replacement bulbs or the crap that ebay is infested with, put your bulbs back in, they are much brighter than the LED replacements.

Let me know if you want to try the load equalizer... I have them in stock.

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Incidentally, ErVikingo had a problem with his left signals malfunctioning after installing Rizoma signals... his did not auto-cancel any more. Seems like the left signals may be more sensitive to changes than the right.

http://www.v-rodforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yeah, they were the $5 AutoZone bulbs. For $5 bucks each...It was worth a shot. (at least Dad is happy). Live and learn. I'm not going to bother with them right now. First I need to get my new skins from Sean, then the doggies butt will get some "plastic surgery".

·
Registered
601 Posts
Plug for Dr HS again, I had an LED bulb installed in my bike, in the main light, was trying to obtain a brighter light and found it was a waste of money. Save up and buy his stage 1 or better yet stage 2 and go with his turn signals, best bang for your buck, at least they are the best option I have seen and I ma very happy with them. I think they are much better than my wife’s Kuryakyn Panacea set up she has on her Low Rider.

I even ran it by my Dealer in Fairfax VA and the owner, who's wife rides a V-Rod, thought they were great and said he'd need to get a set for her too.

Just my thoughts,

Dave

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
for reference, Panacea vs. Heavycycles FX/FL/XL taillight photos are in the gallery on my site... I was even surprised at the difference.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Hey Doc, the link in your signature points to your old page!
ATTENTION!

You are accessing an outdated page, please go to www.heavycycles.com to access the new website.

Please update your bookmarks or let the referrer know that the link needs to be updated

Thank you,

The Heavycycles Team.
I updated you Signature to reflect the new link but you need to set the server to redirect index.htm and index.html to index.php ;)

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I rigged a 3 ohm resistor in the pos.side at the left signal.It's not right but it's a resistance issue.I'm gonna try to find some 2056 Led's or equal just to get a resistance reading.I said when I started the thread 1157,oops I meant 1156.I would like to have the specs on the whole system to see what and why the 2 sides are different.Maybe it's the stop turn module.I bought it from harley in a harley package.I'll be taking the a$$ end apart on the weekend and I'll figure it then.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ran into the same problem, I wanted to run LEDs all the way around. The right rear would work but the left would not work at all. Remember LEDs are NOT light bulbs, they are electronic circuits, and for that reason must have the correct polarity. Checking the socket on the left side proved the polarity was wrong. Reversing the connectors in the socket corrected that problem. Second problem, the VRod uses load testing to check if all lights are working properly. If there is a load all is fine, but because LEDs exert a very low load, the system thinks a bulb is out and will do a rapid flash of the effected bulb, then set an error code and trigger the security key icon. To correct this problem you WILL need a load balancer for the front and rear. Check with www.heavycycles.com, they have both and they work excelent.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info,a little late because after sitting there and looking like a big dumbass I reached over and swapped the wires and it worked.I already had an equalizer.It didn't work the same on both sides so I followed the instructions from the equalizer and reprogrammed the tssm.I hadn't followed the wires to see if they are crossed,but I believe that it is in the tssm itself.I have heard of Harley techs replacing the tssm and then the lights worked wired factory. I made 2 LEDs for the rear signals myself.Man I was proud of myself and got alot of compliments.At biketoberfest some dickhead pulled my lens off and tryed to steal them.All they did was F.up my lights.I am going to buy a set this time.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
At biketoberfest some dickhead pulled my lens off and tryed to steal them.All they did was F.up my lights.
Are you serious??? :eek: Man, that is f&%ked-up, that stuff really pi$$es me off! :mad: If I caught someone doing that, I would not be able to control my anger :bash:

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I caught someone commiting vandalism on the stuff I love and work real hard for I would probably be arrested for attempted murder and I'm not even a badass.I was at an independent shop a while ago,back turned towards the Rod.As I turned around some goofy lookin MF was sitting on my bike.I immiediatly snatched him up and my brother grabbed me.The idiot left and then I was calmed down.To me,touching another mans stuff is like grabbing his wife's :boobs: or :moon: .Sorry to lead the thread astray but I just had to :soapbox:

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok.I bought some cool looking spyder LED lights and fit them into the rear TS housings and they work and look great.Now,I have purchased a set of spyder LEDs for the front.(I can't leave well enough alone)These are dual wire with a separate ground.They flash,but then start flashing fast.I reprogrammed the tssm as per the equalizer instructions just to see if that would cure it.It didn't.Do I have to run a second equalizer separatly for the fronts?

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tryed again this morn with a fresh mind.The green arrows stay lit with the LEDs while in the run position.I can make the tssm happy with a resistor in the run light but the TS still flashes fast.I have several brands of lights and they all do the same thing.The equalizer is from badlanders.I talked to Joe last night and I will be giving his equalizer a try.

Elrod on the V-Rod

1 - 19 of 19 Posts