Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dean
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What LED bulb would I need (if there is one) to replace my stock license plate bulb?

Would it be one that I can pick up at a local auto parts store....or order on line?

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
I replaced mine a couple of years ago with white LEDs from PepBoys. You'll find them in the punk section of Chinese products (the store is full of them now).

But they do make the rear lighting look more modern. I even got a compliment from a rival at work.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
Any LED that replaces a 194 or 168 bulb size will work. Also, I would advise that you NOT purchase any LED bulb that looks like the ones in the pic below. They are total shite. I got the ones below from Autozone and one lasted about a week, they also have a very dim blue output; I am looking for a bright white.

I am now presently running these from Jam Strait (shown below). These are the best I have found so far, reliable, decent output, but they still have a slight blueish light to them although it does make for a good match for my HID headlight.

I will be ordering a set from V-LEDS.com pretty soon to try out.

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
There are led replacements for every socket you can think of. I think all the models have a T10 fitting fot the lic plate bulb. problem can be these ledbulbs point there narrow 'lightbeam' out the front. In the lic plate i believe the side of the bulb is used to shine down.

These can be bought at a carparts store... an idea could be to buy 'doorgrip led strips' and put these where the bulbs are. (i have these under the air box for lightning the engine)

Attachments

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
"true white" LEDs are very expensive. 99% of the "white" LEDs on the market are blue with a yellow phosphorous dot over the LED to make it appear white. A few companies do the opposite and make the LED amber and use a blue gell coat over the diode instead.
If your LED is a bit too blue for your liking, you can usually find the LED gel sleeves in auto stores in the lighting section. Throw a yellow sleeve over it and it will remove the blue and make it more white.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts