Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up a 18 inch white led strip from auto zone for 20 bucks. installed inside headlight through little slot at the top, used opened wire hanger to guide it into posisition and apply preasure for glue which is exposed after removing paper back (3M). Wired to battery with small toggle under seat.

note.. light must be removed from bracket to access hole, you can see it if you look up into light from front, above bulb.. more like a small slot.

Attachments

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there are not many more details that I can give you, buy lights and put in hole at top. pretty simple.

·
joshualk
2 Posts
How have they held up? - curious about our Minnesota-made (3M) sticky products, and the longevity of 'the hold' for this application...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Would be interesting to hook the LEDs up to a 'pulse modulator' to flash the LEDs while leaving the main bulb constant... bet that would get some attention!

·
Iron Man Rod
8 Posts
Here's a closeup of my attempt at this. I didn't use the slot at the top but the drain hole at the bottom. Slot at top is the better approach but probably much harder because of the low beam reflector.

Here's how I did it:

I drilled out the moisture drain at the 5 o'clock position with some diamond glass bits. I used compressed air and cotton balls with rubbing alcohol to clean it out. I also had to drill a hole in the black plastic part that attaches to the back of the lamp.

I fed the light strip through the hole (used 24" long strip with 3 lights removed). I used a large angled tweezer and a 10" hemostat to position the lights (using the high and low beam holes). I started between the 4 and 5 o'clock position, removed 1 to 2 inches of the tape backing at a time, and applied counterclockwise. I ended up with 3 LEDs running from the front edge back to the hole. I covered it with some shiny silver tape.

I connected the wires to the front turn signal module (under left cover) connector. It's a AMP Multilock connector (6 pins) that has 2 empty positions that just happen to have an open ground and ignition switch controlled power (blue wire) available.

If was going to do this again, I would use the heat vent at the top. This will be less noticeable since it's at the top and very close to the front edge where the strip is attached. The challenge, though, would be starting the attachment at the top where the low beam reflector gets in the way. Evidently it can be done because others used that method (I should read these threads more closely!).

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Looks good! I've had mine on for over a year now and its still stuck in the same place its always been. This is through a lot of temperature changes too, so stickyness isnt an issue. I might suggest to get some of the heavy duty 3m double sided tape from home depot and use that instead of the tape that comes on the LEDs.

·
Black Denim F
1,046 Posts
That's wild. Looking at it from a distance it looks like the "angel eyes" HID headlights that you see on some upscale luxury cars.

·
Iron Man Rod
8 Posts
Here's a photo without the lights on and some annotations. It is about as clear it can be given file size restrictions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts