Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm looking for a decent LED headlight for VRSCD (2008). I searched this forum around and saw mixed results and advice to say the least... and none specific to Night Rod D model (which I understand can use 5.75in lights without mod... other VRods need mod?). Anyways, I was hoping to avoid something that will trip the indicators or costs a ton.

I'm aiming for something that works ok but won't trip the hi-beam or electric/security codes on the bike.

...Ghostrider? Altered State? Harley?
Ebay cheap $50 stuff since Night rod -D can use 5 3/4inch?
Just change the headlight bulb to LED and can get similar effect?

Has anyone had one for Night Rod that fits the bill of getting some improved light without the high cost or the code problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
Mind you, I ride an R with the typical vrod shaped light… but- I ended up going with one from Hogworkz. Tried 2 different cheaper eBay units, and was underwhelmed to say the least. Not very bright, poor beam pattern and little to no difference lo/hi beam. So… I’d stay away from cheap.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I buy from AMAZON.COM if you don't like it you can return it. Amazon also has a lot of customer reviews with pictures.

I had good luck with Z-OFFROAD light on my R and the 5 1/4 for you bike is $60.

I tried the cheap LED replacement bulbs in my R and they made less light than the stock halogen bulbs. Wasted money.

I'm guessing you have a H-4 bulb? There are also the old school high output or high wattage H-4 halogen bulbs that would give a little more light and you need a relay kit. Outdated technology, I wasted more money.

HID bulb and ballast lots of glare. Outdated technology only works in projectors style headlights.

Auxiliary LED driving/fog lights mounted on crash bars. This really lights up the roads and ditches. Gives me the ability to see on mountain roads when blinded by other a-holes that drive with there fog lights on!

·
Registered
Black 2007 VRSCD
135 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking for a decent LED headlight for VRSCD (2008). I searched this forum around and saw mixed results and advice to say the least... and none specific to Night Rod D model (which I understand can use 5.75in lights without mod... other VRods need mod?). Anyways, I was hoping to avoid something that will trip the indicators or costs a ton.

I'm aiming for something that works ok but won't trip the hi-beam or electric/security codes on the bike.

...Ghostrider? Altered State? Harley?
Ebay cheap $50 stuff since Night rod -D can use 5 3/4inch?
Just change the headlight bulb to LED and can get similar effect?

Has anyone had one for Night Rod that fits the bill of getting some improved light without the high cost or the code problems?

Thanks
I have a 2007 VRSCD and I put this one in super cheap LOL works perfectly plug & play if you only want one halo. I only wanted the white one to match my front blinkers
$39.00 on Scamazon some of the reviews said they had flaws. Mine was perfect it is a tight fit but worked fine took about 15 minutes using only the white halo.
(you can have different color halo's with high & low beam)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B087T7GZ1Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And yes I have already re-centered it. LOL

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's cool... it's good to have options. I'm probably going to go with Eagle halo from Altered State Design... can try to post pics once installed.

Sounds like the VRSCD takes any 5.75 and is a lot easier than any other VRods since VRSCD (and maybe R?) don't need the adapter/mount $100-200++ most VRSC all need due to having oval/angled headlight. I lucked out on that... didn't know when I bought the bike :p

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry if I'm a little late to the party. I went from a VRSCD with 5.75" round headlight to the oval LED headlight. Changed my bracket and used a factory OEM plug so I wouldn't have to cut into my factory harness at all (plan on keeping this bike for a long long time).

Here is a write up, which includes steps taken, parts ordered, part numbers, links, etc.: How To Install a Daymaker Headlight on a V-Rod

Video:

Let me know if you have any questions or leave a comment and on one of those links and I'll get notification direct to my phone.

·
Registered
2008 VRSCD
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry if I'm a little late to the party. I went from a VRSCD with 5.75" round headlight to the oval LED headlight. Changed my bracket and used a factory OEM plug so I wouldn't have to cut into my factory harness at all (plan on keeping this bike for a long long time).

Here is a write up...
That is an awesome conversion. I like that the VRSCD can just use any 5.75 round light kit without special fit, but you did the convert to the oval like most other VRod models... good stuff. Looks good.

I love that the bike accessories are kinda like Legos... only limit is your imagination :cool:

Reactions: adri

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks Vin. I've always been a big fan of the oval headlight myself, so I wanted to take the extra steps to figure out how to make this work. Personal preference but think it looks bad ass. No regrets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts