Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased what I believe to be an older aluminum clutch cover from a member. ( I think it's older cause the Harley logo is painted black and the circle around the logo is pAinted orange), a great addional to my bike, cause I got an orange 04B.
Anyways, I installed it, tightened it down and went for a 35 min ride, And I was spraying oil all over the lower side of my bike!
once the oil heats up, it starts dripping out the bottom.

Are the clutch covers all the same?
The member I bought it from has a 08 DX, and I don't think this cover is from that bike
can I buy a sealent or a gasket to stop the leak ?

I will put my chrome one back on for now, but I would really like to use the black n orange one.
Any thoughts.....

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
What I believe. They should all be the same, the actuator button is different on some models, so that cover needs to fit over the bleed screw however on your 04 I don't think you have that.

I assume you took off the entire side? If so did you reinstall the gasket? Did you tighten the bolts in the order specified in the Hd manual?

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
There should be a metal gasket between the engine and the cover. Tighten them finger tight then torque them to 86 IN/LBS per the sequence in the attached PDF file. That is INCH LBS NOT FOOT LBS.
Sorry about the picture being upside down.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, my mistake.....
It's not the clutch cover that has lots of bolts, it's the little circular one.
Any suggestions on the little one?

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
If you only replaced the little clutch actuator cover, then the leak is not related. You can try tightening the cluch actuator itself, the three bolts under the cover.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alls well now. Thanks guys. There IS a round rubber washer that
should be on the back of the round cover.

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
Alls well now. Thanks guys. There IS a round rubber washer that
should be on the back of the round cover.
You probably need to replace those O-rings on the slave clutch. The outer cover does not need a seal of any sort. It's only there for looks.
PS: The torque setting is also 86 in/lbs for those three bolts as are the cover bolts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts