Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure this out...past two days each morning I rode into work, coolant fluid has been leaking out. I've got the KillerGlass mod and first thought it was leaking from the locations where the hose&heat clamps and the glass fixture meet up but it appears fluid is coming from underneath that chrome hose clamp/cover just above.

Now the weird thing is it only leaks in the morning. Yesterday afternoon sometime after five, I rode home and it did not leak at all. All through this past weekend, I went riding both days and it did not leak. So this just started yesterday morning. Thinking back over the past couple of weeks the only difference I am aware of is outdoor temperature. These past few days here have been way cooler than usual...around high sixties/low seventies...compared to the mid-eighties it usually is in the morning. My rides on the weekend did not start out until later on in the late morning or early afternoon after temps had climbed some.

Going to check the hoses this afternoon when I get back to the apt but any helpful input you all might have on this perdicament would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
Just remove the radiator shrouds and tighten the 2 clamps up at the top of the radiator, I got 3 full turns on both sides of mine when it was leaking..The clamps are not properly tightened at the factory..

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ergoguy34 said:
Just remove the radiator shrouds and tighten the 2 clamps up at the top of the radiator, I got 3 full turns on both sides of mine when it was leaking..The clamps are not properly tightened at the factory..
Not leaking down around the radiator...everything there appears good. Coolant is leaking out from the hose on the right had side of the bike. Appears to be coming from up underneath that chrome hoseclamp cover that comes stock with the bike. Checked that one and it's still tight. Still looking.

:helpme: :helpme:

·
Banned
4,397 Posts
Tighten them anyway, Im sure they loose..

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're really not helping me here....

Anyway, took off the chrome cover and found the source of the leak (see pics below). Fluid was coming up from the upper portion of the vertical hose and seeping out at the point where the vertical hose fits over the "T" of the primary radiator hose. I could only surmize that over time vibrations had worked loose this "T" section of the radiator hose and it moved up a bit despite the clamp holding it in place. Using a screwdriver, I levered the primary radiator hose downward a few centimeters and then wrapped the outer hose with some electrical tape to widen the circumference. Reattached the hose clamp with the chrome cover and that effectively stopped the leak. Took the bike out for a ride and nothing leaked at all. Problem solved.

However, I consider this a temporary measure as I would feel more comfortable with a secondary hose clamp, perhaps even a heat clamp, to secure the upward hose to the primary radiator hose at the "T" connection.

Apologies for slaughtering the terminology on this one. This is what happens when a non-mechincally inclined person tries to explain stuff.

Attachments

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
synseer said:
However, I consider this a temporary measure as I would feel more comfortable with a secondary hose clamp, perhaps even a heat clamp, to secure the upward hose to the primary radiator hose at the "T" connection.
Well, as I stated before, this solution was a temporary fix. Yesterday I took everything apart again and using a second hose clamp I think I got the problem fixed permanently. I placed the second hose clamp on the coolant hose lower down on those hose towards the shrink clamp. Since the radiator tube extends far enough down through there I was able to get a good tight fit. The exterior chrome cover was then re-attached in it's proper place...the hose clamp that holds it in place fits directly above the second hose clamp all neat and trim. Nothing sticking out or anything.

Don't know if anyone else out there has experienced a problem like this with their killerglass mod but this is how I finally fixed it. If it helps you out somehow, great. If not...

·
I'm cool now..RIGHT!
108 Posts
I have coolant drips that I only find the next morning. Usually both sides of the down tubing behind the radiator. I find a little line of dried coolant that I rub off with my finger. A couple of times now. I will try to look for a coolant line to tighten. Anyone else have similar?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
drtwo said:
I have coolant drips that I only find the next morning. Usually both sides of the down tubing behind the radiator. I find a little line of dried coolant that I rub off with my finger. A couple of times now. I will try to look for a coolant line to tighten. Anyone else have similar?
Everyone!! Those worm clamps are notorious for coming loose.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
drtwo said:
That hose looks as if the gates clamp isn't on proper. The clamp should be about 1/2 inch or so beyond the hose. If you do decide to replace it, use a soldering iron to "hot cut" through it in a single vertical burn/cut. :2cents:

·
Bad luck depository
545 Posts
drtwo said:
I had the same problem with mine when it was brand new. They had overfilled the coolant bottle at MOCO! I dont know if yours is new or how many miles but draining out some coolant from the overflow to the right level fixed mine. The coolant was comming out of the overflow across to the left side down under vented covers and down the downtubes... wierd!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts