Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey,

I've been chasing an oil leak for the past few months, basically the same issue that I found in many threads which result in oil coming down the right side of the heads and pooling beside the water pump. Not a lot of oil, but a little bit.

I recently changed my oil and went with Amsoil (first switch to synthetic) and after a good ride today (the second ride since the oil change) I had a lot of oil on the right side of my engine. It was spraying all over. Not a lot of volume in total but way more than I've ever seen before.

So, off with the air box. I've checked the hoses clamps etc. and don't see any evidence of a problem with them. I'm a little suspicious of the oil pressure sender. looking between the heads from the right side of the engine I can see some of the threads of the oil pressure sender. I'm not sure if this should seat fully or not. Anyone know?

If it is the oil pressure sender how can I get at it without removing the throttle body assembly and way more stuff than I'd like too?

I'm also not sure if I can just pull the wire out of the top of the sensor so I can tighten with a socket or if that is not possible. I can't find detail on it in my VRSCA Manual. BTW - it's a 2003.

Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
You do need to remove all the garbage to get to the sender. The good news is the wire does just push on and off. The threads will NOT be totally hidden as it has a taper to the threads if I remember correctly.

Be VERY careful if you try tightening it. Just imagine what you would have on your hands if you break it off or strip the aluminum threads in the engine case. NOT GOOD!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a bummer about having to remove all the stuff.

I'm a little skeptical of the sender itself but I'm unable to see a clear path for oil leakage from the air box hoses down the heads to where it pools by the sender. There is actually a ledge to the left of the sender which looks to me like the place where any leakage from the air box hose would gather first, but I don't see any oil collecting there which is why I'm thinking it's the pressure sender.

I'm open to other thoughts, as I'm really not so keen on taking the whole throttle body apart.

Also, is it OK to run the engine without the air box in place? That way maybe I could see what's going on, if the leaking is significant enough.

thoughts?

thanks,

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I replaced the front breather hose with a brand new piece of 5/8" heater hose. I didn't see anything really seriously wrong with the original one but it was cheap and the new piece fits more snug.

Still leaking oil :mad:

I took the breather off again and there is no evidence that I can see that there was leaking at the breather hose. The hose itself was dry as a bone with no oil residue on it and nothing I could see at the base either.

There is no evidence of any oil running from the back cylinder breather hose as it's dry as a bone right below the hose clamps (no oil residue).

I've attached some pictures. One could argue that there is oil running down the engine right above the sensor from the direction of the front breather hose as you can see it's dirty above the sensor, however, there is no clear evidence of where it is coming from.

My thought was that if I can run the engine without the air filter in place I could clean up all the dirty residue on the engine and then watch to see where the oil was coming from (only running it in my garage, not actually riding it).

Can I do that? What do I connect the breather hoses to if the air filter isn't there?

As always I'm also open to any other suggestions. It just doesn't look like the breather hose to me.

Can you tell I'm trying to avoid pulling the throttle assembly off to check the oil pressure sender unless I'm absolutely sure it's not something else :banghead:

thanks everyone, really appreciate the insight and help here on the forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
the alloy tube may not have a good seal around it where it presses into the head.i have pulled these tubes ,expanded them a tad and refitted..also heater hose will fall apart in a short time frame due to its incompatibility with oil.suggest you get someting that will take the oil without deteriating.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Pecee, really appreciate your help.

I can always go back to my original hose as there was no visible issue with it (other than age - no holes etc.) and then order a replacement from HD. Wish the guy at the auto shop would have told me about the oil incompatibility - I told him what I was using it for. When I removed the hose this evening I don't recall seeing any oil on the bottom of the hose where the alloy tube goes in.

Regarding the alloy tube. Can you advise if i can run the bike without the air filter box and what to do with the breather tubes. I'd like to visually see if there is a leak first before I attempt pulling and expanding this tube. I think if I clean things up and can run the engine without the airbox I can try to see where the oil starts from.

thoughts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK.

today I cleaned in between the heads and got everything super clean.

Then I ran the engine and watched. It is definitely leaking from the oil pressure sender. The oil starts to slowly leak out of the side of the oil pressure sender and then gathers in the corner. Not sure if it's the threads or the housing of the sensor.

OK, so now the fun stuff. Does anyone have any words of wisdom as I begin to pull the throttle body assembly apart?

Anyone who has had to remove the sensor if there are any tricks or gotchas to watch out for please let me know.

thanks everyone, any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
the manual is what you need if doubtfull of you knowledge with this bike.dissconnect battery.dont overtighten those hose clamps on the inlet manifold when refitting.you dont need to dissconect throttle cables.otherwise simple.be sure to cover those intake ports when when they are exposed to prevent anything falling in.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i've got the manual and all is well. i've got access to the sensor now. just need to buy the correct socket and a new sensor. thinking about using a 20 psi sensor as per other threads on the forum, and maybe adding a pressure gauge.

thanks again,

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
I believe you need a special tool to remove and replace the oil sensor because of its peculiar location.
Check the service manual on that.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
I did not use any special tools to remove it.

Just take your time.

I would put an adapter in.

This way, it will raise the sensor and make it easy to put back in an still have a port for the pressure gauge if you decide to do it later.

See if you can find a picture of the new turbo adapter. I really think this will work great for you. The turbo uses this for the oil feed to keep it lubed and cool.

Use liquid teflon for the threads. Do not put any on the first 2 starting threads.

Harley will make a mechanic out of you.

Rod

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
If the oil pressure switch leaks then go ahead, remove the airbox and tighten it.
Don't use more then 10 to 15 Nm torque, it's a 22 or 24 mm key size.
No big deal, I just replaced mine two days ago but then again that was my spare engine and it's out of the frame :)
I cut a spanner to really short length to access it, I can post a photo if you want.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Jan-Dirk,

Thanks for info. if you could post a picture that would be great.

Is it 22 or 24mm, do you know for sure which?

thanks

·
all or nothing
1,373 Posts
It is 24mm

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks everyone,

I just went and picked up a bunch of different deep sockets and voila, the 24mm hex socket worked best (not a 12 point - no corners on sensor no good for 12 point). Even though it doesn't fit perfectly because it hits the manifold it still easily removed the sensor, and put it back in.

Tomorrow I'll fire it up and hopefully no leak.

In hind sight I removed more stuff than needed. Just removing the throttle body, and the Map sensor would have been sufficient to provide access. Just in case anyone else decides to take everything apart like I did :banghead: Well, at least it's all clean now :D

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
thanks everyone,

I just went and picked up a bunch of different deep sockets and voila, the 24mm hex socket worked best (not a 12 point - no corners on sensor no good for 12 point). Even though it doesn't fit perfectly because it hits the manifold it still easily removed the sensor, and put it back in.

Tomorrow I'll fire it up and hopefully no leak.

In hind sight I removed more stuff than needed. Just removing the throttle body, and the Map sensor would have been sufficient to provide access. Just in case anyone else decides to take everything apart like I did :banghead: Well, at least it's all clean now :D
Good to know you figured out the sensor can be removed without the special wrench. I tried to but did not remove the throttle body and could not get in there. I have after market gauges that came with a new sensor but had to stick with the OEM one because I could not figure out how to remove the old one.

·
ramma jamma
687 Posts
no more leak, I guess???

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Good to know you figured out the sensor can be removed without the special wrench. I tried to but did not remove the throttle body and could not get in there. I have after market gauges that came with a new sensor but had to stick with the OEM one because I could not figure out how to remove the old one.
Believe it or not,it requires a sending unit socket.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts