Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Chris
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying the LCD dipstick (# 62982-03) so I can check the temperature once in a while. The bike does not have any displays for that so I thought it may be useful to get a feeling when it is overheating. Plus it looks kinda neat I think.

Anybody tried it already? Recommended or just a waste of money? :confused:

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
To expensive and you have to reach down and turn it on to get a reading. I bought the analog and really like it. I can just lean over and see the temp from the seat. Seems fairly accurate to.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Analog seems better. Condensation on the face of the digital one makes it unreadable at times, and I'm on my third battery. PS: carry the old one somewhere (in the airbox??)- if someone steals the pretty one, you can't get home without one.

·
Mobile Exterminator
459 Posts
Yea? Ever try to read the oil level on that analog dipstick?

Maybe it works with regular oil, but forget it with synthetic...

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Oil temperature monitoring on a water cooled motor is not nearly as important as it is on the air / oil cooled motors. It's a waste of money IMHO.

Now, a water temp gauge would have some value.

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
>>Yea? Ever try to read the oil level on that analog dipstick?
>>Maybe it works with regular oil, but forget it with synthetic...

True. But I just masked off the stick above and below the marks and roughed it up with 80 grit sandpaper. It gives the oil something to cling to. No problems.

As far as functionality, its an easy way to monitor the engine temp. Something is better than nothing, and the chrome and dial looks way cooler than grey plastic. But then Im addicted to Cr.

·
Flying Vee
745 Posts
I just use an open palm against the heat shields.

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
mjw930 said:
Oil temperature monitoring on a water cooled motor is not nearly as important as it is on the air / oil cooled motors. It's a waste of money IMHO.

Now, a water temp gauge would have some value.
Hey Mark ...... how hot is too hot? I run with grilles.... have an analog..... never runs hotter that 205 degrees -- just enough to trip the fan.

Have analog..... measure with stock stick.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought the analog type. On my long trip going 75-80 the temperture went to 210 degs.
Outside air temp was around 81 degs.

I am interested knowing what temp. reading everyone is getting.

I find the it hard to read oil level.

CleanV

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm interested in Water Temp and Oil Temp.

·
Chris
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stealing

Daniii said:
Analog seems better. Condensation on the face of the digital one makes it unreadable at times, and I'm on my third battery. PS: carry the old one somewhere (in the airbox??)- if someone steals the pretty one, you can't get home without one.
That's a good point, I never thought about that. :hmm: I guess I have too much faith in other pepole ... :slap:

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
This is the pos I oringially had.

Oil temp gauge is not worth bothering with. Had one once and the temp closely mirrors the coolant temp. It was an analog from HD, Taiwan made of course and verified accuracy with boiled water but had to get two for that to happen. Lasted about 2 years and the internals got sloppy and started to read low in the temp. Needle would move +/- 30* from slop that developed over time. Stuck the stock dipstick back in the hole. Most reports on the LCD is they are a pain in the ass.
Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts