Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a terrible time with my launches. Last night I stalled 3 times at the line on 1/4 mile track. I've moved my launch speed limiter back to 5k and still stalled. Any suggestions other than give up, ha.

Bill

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
5, 6, 7K should launch the hell out of you. Maybe the limiter or electrons of same is malfunctioning? Other than that, it's all on you. I wouldn't go lower RPM's though, go higher.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you ever heard the phrase "ride it like you stole it"? You have to be a bit brutal with the clutch on your launch. Slow your release to the point that the engine does not lose RPM's. It's hard on the clutch discs but good on the 60 foot times. Your track must be really sticky to completely stall the bike on a launch so you may end up 2 bike lengths out before you've fully released the clutch.

·
Noel
4,581 Posts
Welcome, as said above wring her throttle and up the RPMS, but wondering if the lockup is engaging sooner than normal, when you do raise the launch RPM's pay attention to the bike wanting to drive through. if so the clutch set up may need some tweaking.

Is your Destroyer a virgin bike or used and fully prepared by a former racer?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Have you ever heard the phrase "ride it like you stole it"? You have to be a bit brutal with the clutch on your launch. Slow your release to the point that the engine does not lose RPM's. It's hard on the clutch discs but good on the 60 foot times. Your track must be really sticky to completely stall the bike on a launch so you may end up 2 bike lengths out before you've fully released the clutch.
Not in my book, Release it completely and go like hell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your Destroyer a virgin bike or used and fully prepared by a former racer?

Taxmanhog, the bike is set up by racers and has one full season under her belt with former owner. Is it possible that my clutch springs need to be replaced, I'm a big guy....

·
Noel
4,581 Posts
Welcome to the fat guy racing club (LOL) I'm right there with you!!

I don't think they are defective, but you may not have the correct amount of static pressure for your race package (the weight of you and the bike).

Also, curious about what you're experiencing, as that was the problem I was having my first season on my ~virgin~ Destroyer several years ago, I eventually isolated the root problem which is a rare issue.

My launch box began to malfunction causing the engine to perform poorly after pulling in the clutch lever, I did some electrical diagnostic tests and determined that one of the transistors controlling the rear cylinder was defective once the box activated, it would do it's RPM squelching effect regardless of RPM speed, even at an idle it would have a substantial effect, when I let the clutch out (in neutral) the engine would continue to run poorly, unstable idle and such. Again as far as I know this is a rare failure, but if it happened to me, then it is possible it could happen to others.

Unfortunately there are not exact replacements for the box, but a Dyna launch box/2-step can be made to serve as a substitute, search my OLD racing threads, you can find more details there if you need them.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155509
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2193691#post2193691

I hope it is something simple with clutch set up and you getting used to racing her correctly.

PS, another things comes to mind, assuming you do burn outs, do you do it in 2nd gear to get a higher wheel speed? If so, do you remember to get her back to first gear when approaching pre-stage? I ask, not to be a wise ass, but that was the drill my buddy coaching me always verbally and with finger gestures would ask me: "IS IT IN 1st?!?!?!?" I would double check and nod affirmative, pull to pre-stage, stage and I was on a tare!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts