Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Noel
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polling my fellow racers, for answers to possible problems I am having.

Today I notice that the Destroyer idle would drop several hundred RPM at idle amd pit road RPMS (2000 to 3000) when the clutch lever was engaged, as soon as I releases it the idle would return to normal.

When cruising to staging or return road it's sounding like crap rough idle almost wants to stall.

While in full stage RPM at max setup (8000), stutter seems normal, when I throw the clutch full power and good launch, as good as I've ever had.

QUESTION

Who makes the box?

The setup and part's book does not mention which vendor to contact, I'll take a stab at pingle, but if any one knows better let me know.

I've been rereading old posts here, no mention of launch box problems, plenty of talk about the pingle kill module.

These two units work closely together, which has me. Wondering if my kill box may be about to STB again, or if the LB has it's own issues?

·
Registered
29 Posts
launch box

Hey Taxman, just check that the indicator arrows on the knobs of the launch box are set correctly (inline with the digit) revs will play if theyre not

·
Noel
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suspect the POTS or Switch points are wearing, might be fixable in off season two dollars is better than $1010 !

·
Noel
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Set the dials in a variety of positions right on the numbers, still have the problem.

·
Noel
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Dynatek 5-DRL-400-HD is installed on the Destroyer, after few tribulations, it appears to be triggering correctly, unfortunately it's almost 11, so no LIVE FIRE exercises. I'll do that right after work, if it's good then off to the track for some Friday night T&T, followed by two days of ET, last of the points races for 2011.

The issues I encountered was a misunderstanding of the clutch lever switch, it's OPEN when the clutch lever is out, when you pull in the clutch it closes, bringing ground to the circuit. The Dyna box wants to see 12 volts when low limit is requested, their box provides the 12v to send to the trigger feed.

So I used a SPDT RELAY as found in many autos, and the same one Frank used in the customized air shifter system from my old bike, I scavenged this part from the un-used system, put 12v on one side of relay solenoid and the clutch lever switch provides ground energizing the solenoid/relay in turn closing switching circuit in the relay to which the Dynatek low limit trigger circuit is attached. The Test lamp on the Dyna unit activated correctly during the NON-RUN testing.

I also installed a interrupt switch one of the coil shunting leads to the Dynatek, in effect reducing the dampening effects on the engine, I'll search for the optimum Launch RPM and test the performance of the box through it's rather limited RPM ranges, I'd have hoped it was designed for a LOW limit ranger of 7.5k to 9.5k which is ideal for our application, the other issue is the High limit setting, that too is to low only 9250, which admittedly is beyond the HP/TQ curves my bike was producing with the sick LB, it might be performing better after installing this new unit, ideally we are running a high limit of 10,000 to 11,000 (with better valve train components).

I am looking forward to tomorrows initial testing and if all proves good three days of racing. :deal:

·
Noel
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got home from work, tested the two step & air shifter, works as designed. With both coils attached it's holding a max launch RPM of 6250 and high end of 9250.

I then tried cutting off one cylinder from the dyna unit, and lowered to launch setting to its lowest, unfortunately this doesn't provide enough damping to hold the launch Rpm.

Figured I would make a go of it for t&t this evening, got to NH at 7pm, tech'd in making two runs using the max setting 6259/9250, changed the shift points lower to avoid hitting the high limiter, results were less than impressive, bogged the first launch, sixty was crap, run two left the setup the same similar results,

third run turned the cylinder cut switch to allow higher rev's, turned the launch lamp mode of the shift light setting launch low yo 8000 & launch high to 8300. Restored my shift point settings to best for. My many. Prior good runs, then I made the final run, I did not do a good job holding the launch rpm, spun out of the hole.

Engine diagnostic still shows nasty idle trace, funny thing id now it's more stable with the lever IN!!!

I'm concluding the issues are Not due to the LB.

I reflashed the stock map to the ECM, the standing idle was more stable.

I'm going to lighten up the static, to allow more slip during initial rollout, then shifts early so I do not bump the hihh limiter.

After this weekend, back to the. Drawing board to find the root issues!

·
Noel
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
race day 9/3

Root issues found, I lightened up on the static springs going down from 413 # to 213#, this made the initial hit reasonable for the 6250 launch rpm, while I was in there I adjusted the dynamic springs according to a few destroyer racer suggestions two 5# & three 3#, all five arms have 5.5 gm.

This resulted in quicker application of the lockup.

Second root issue, idle has been erratic for the whole year, this started after adjusting the throttle plate sync, the hyme links were turned in a way that caused them to bind on the mount points, I loosened the lock nuts allowing the ends to center within the mounts, this allowed me to undo two compensating adjustments the base idle screw is back to where it should be, throttle & idle cables properly adjusted, idle is pretty even, snap-back is great.

Lessons learned, donot fix things that are not broken retrace & validate thing's last touched before moving forward.

Todays race will be handicapped by the anemic launch RPM & premature high limt the drl400 is giving me, PS this unit is NOT for VROD'S.

NEXT: RESTORE the stock 2step/LB, to see if it's actually fine?

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
sounds like you're on the right track noel. one request though. you think you could quit using all them big technical words and speak in terms the uneducated can understand.....:rofl:

·
Noel
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds like you're on the right track noel. one request though. you think you could quit using all them big technical words and speak in terms the uneducated can understand.....:rofl:
Hey Robbie..... you understood all that, and Thank You for taking the time to educate me on racing techniques, the weather conditions and how they play out on my run performance, we're both learning something new every time, keep plugging along !!!:notworth:

·
Noel
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Restored the stock launch box on the Destroyer, T&T on the 17th and 24th using the lite clutch setup to see what that yields.

·
Noel
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Problem Solved!!!!! (NOT)

Eureka, I found the problem with the Destroyers poor idle!

It was the Launch Box after all, the rear coil ECM sensor circuit was passing 12 volts when it should have been quietly sniffing for the the ECM to send a ground signal to the coil, this 12v signal was making it hard to maintain normal operation & idle.

When I engaged the 2-step function on the LB it made the situation worse, ECM would malfunction trying to control the situation the LB was inducing.

Temporary solution, removed the one wire in the connector with the bad signal, the engine runs, idles evenly, the 2-step functions correctly and still is able to clamp the RPM's to any desired Launch RPM.

On Friday 10/7/2011, testing at Rockingham Dragway showed the above solution would not work, back to the drawing board...:banghead:

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Wow Noel, what an ordeal! If it where me I would've probably tear everything from the bike and smash it to the floor! :rofl: All that pain you've suffered will give more meaning to your new accomplishments :thumb:

·
Registered
830 Posts
launch box

:dance::dance::dance::hyper::hyper::hyper::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Great to hear! A new day is coming for your racing program, good luck with the licensing passes! Please keep us all informed!

·
Noel
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As noted in my race thread, the fix I did last week did NOT pan out under racing conditions.

So I have gone ahead and ordered the Transistors they are coming from Singapore, hope to get them this week, I would like to have the stock box functioning properly at some point.

In the mean time, I think I figured out how to make the DRL400HD work, pending verification from Lou G.

If my thinking is correct, I'll make the change over again and test at NED on 10/15!!!! :bolt

1 - 20 of 54 Posts