Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been working part time the last two days on the latest upgrade on my 2009 DX. I am replacing the factory chrome handlebars with a set of black powder coated Fatty "Z" handle bars. The Fatties have a 4" rise. I am replacing my Joker Viewtech 1 mirrors with Joker Viewtech 8 bar arm mirrors. I think I can finish up tomorrow. I will post pictures once complete. Getting all the wires all through the Fatty "Z" bars was kind of a bitch with the two 90 degree bends. :banghead: Even using dielectric grease to make it a little easier, just getting round those corners was time consuming. Got it done though.
Like I said, pictures when I have it done.

Phatass

·
Chad
263 Posts
:popcorn:popcorn

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
Well, I have been working part time the last two days on the latest upgrade on my 2009 DX. I am replacing the factory chrome handlebars with a set of black powder coated Fatty "Z" handle bars. The Fatties have a 4" rise. I am replacing my Joker Viewtech 1 mirrors with Joker Viewtech 8 bar arm mirrors. I think I can finish up tomorrow. I will post pictures once complete. Getting all the wires all through the Fatty "Z" bars was kind of a bitch with the two 90 degree bends. :banghead: Even using dielectric grease to make it a little easier, just getting round those corners was time consuming. Got it done though.
Like I said, pictures when I have it done.

Phatass
If I send you my Fatty Z bars you think you could do it again? I spent a whole winter screwing with those things a couple years ago and now they sit in the box on the shelf...congrats, that is one PITA job that I don't have the balls to try again.

·
Bladerunner
1,949 Posts
:popcorn

·
Registered
63 Posts
Best way to feed wires through the bars is to tie a string to the end of wires and use a vacume to pull the string through the other end. This way you can help pull them through the bars.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best way to feed wires through the bars is to tie a string to the end of wires and use a vacume to pull the string through the other end. This way you can help pull them through the bars.

What I did was used compressed air and blew the string through and then connected the wires to the string with uber strong electrical tape, Had to remove the connectors (cut the wires) as they really were a PITA to get around the bends. I just soldered the wires back together. Had to try several times to pull the wires through cause the string kept coming undone. This was especially fun once everything was covered in dielectric grease. All in all, not as easy as I had first supposed. Tonight I just need to do some adjustments to the mirror mounts located inside the handlebar (I may have to redrill one side) and then double check the wiring and that should be it. Later.

Phatass

·
Registered
63 Posts
Even with the string there are hang ups but I'm sure it was well worth the trouble. Post some pics when you get it all together.

Peace

G

·
Guardian of Freedom
140 Posts
waiting to see if it is worth it!

:popcorn

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally...complete. The job consisted of installing Fatty "Z" handlebars and running wire internal to the bars (that was a bit a of a pain) and installing the Joker Machine bar end mirrors (that took some work too).

Phatass

·
Road rash hurts!!!!
191 Posts
Would look good if you turned them upside down.

·
The Pharoah Rider
402 Posts
The headlight covers a lot of the display view, did u consider doing any headlight mod to make these fatty bars more " vivid"?

·
FATASSDX
2,143 Posts
What I did was used compressed air and blew the string through and then connected the wires to the string with uber strong electrical tape, Had to remove the connectors (cut the wires) as they really were a PITA to get around the bends. I just soldered the wires back together. Had to try several times to pull the wires through cause the string kept coming undone. This was especially fun once everything was covered in dielectric grease.
I did this a little over a year ago and saying it was a PITA is a major understatement. Those sharp bends make it a freakin killer to get those wires through these bars. Worth it in the end though - looks awesome

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two additional things, Some like these mirrors flipped. Not me. I like the kinda retro look with them up, reminds me of the old Cafe racers. Also, if you mount them up like mine, you have to cut your clutch/brake levers down in length. I just hacksawed the ball ends off. I will hand file the ends down into a matching desired shape. Probably something like dull point. Still have to do that, then get the levers powder coated black. Thanks to all for the kind words. :)

Phatass

1 - 17 of 17 Posts