Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in less than 90 minutes I'm going to wrap myself up in leather, gloves, neck gaiter, and helmet and ride the V-Rod to the dealership for its annual winter storage layup. Its a sad day for me, because it means that for at least the next 90 days I'm going to be without my bike, and I'm going to be stuck driving everywhere. Even if I wanted to keep riding it, my insurance policy only covers riding March through November.

To be honest, its really been somewhat of a struggle riding it this late in the year. My girlfriend called me at about noon yesterday, and told me to look out the window of my office because it was snowing, and she thought it might be a good idea to get the bike home before the roads got too slippery. I love riding my bike - but I'll tell you I didn't have much fun freezing my fingertips and having to keep opening my visor to clear the fogging that occurs in sub-freezing conditions.

I know a lot of forum members live in places where they can ride year round (Florida, Texas, Nevada, So. California, Australia...), and I have to tell you that at times like this I really envy you guys. Of course, you also have to deal with things that we don't here in the midwest (too hot to ride; traffic jams on the 405; alligators slithering across the highway; etc.) but I still wouldn't mind being able to take my bike out for a spin on Christmas morning.

I'll be having the 10K service done while my bike is in storage - the service guys appreciate the business at this time of year, and having three months to work on it takes the time pressure off. I have a spreadsheet that pops up each time I log onto my computer, with a little pie chart showing the number of days remaining till the start of riding season. I also have the whole winter to plan what I'm going to do with the V-Rod next year. Maybe I'll add some bags and take an extended road trip - and I guess I'll keep logging on to "ride vicariously" with my fellow forum members.

·
MARK
644 Posts
I know the feeling of not riding, I hate it!
last winter the V-Rod sat on the jack for 3 months...
I will not ride when there is salt on the roads. I hate the clean up!!!!
I will ride no matter how cold it gets

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
It's been getting pretty cold here also.I am gonna ride until they put the salt on the roads.I HATE WINTER.With my luck, we'll have snow until JUNE.Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 40's.Gonna take advantage of it.

·
Nothing but Chrome
167 Posts
Well fellow cold weather v-rodder's, I find winter the perfect time to do all those modifications that take away from riding time in the warm season. I could never put it in storage. Sometimes I find myself out in the garage just looking at it and thinking what my next project will be. Hang in there, spring will be here before you know it.

Mike

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Mike, during the worst of last winter I found myself out in the garage quite a few times to look at my 1200C and would somtimes start it up, just to hear that potato-potato sound. This winter, I know I'll be out there again -- this time to hear that excellent porsche-porsche sound!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts