Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The meanwhile worldwide known V-Rod gas tank from Rick’s Motorcycles

In some internet websites this part is called a “Trick Tank”…. but it is not a trick, its just Rick’s!!
Worldwide and with a lot of spectacular and unique developments for the V-Rod, since the first day when the V-Rod entered the Harley world… just Rick’s!

As a result of the high demand on the tank, Rick’s decided to change the type of production. High investments in new tools and new developments… Rick’s spent a lot of money to improve the tank!
With this new kind of production Ricks increased the quantity and the quality of the tank and we are now able to deliver the tank within a few days to the whole world. From a handmade tank to an industrial production!
A further advantage of this is that we can now supply the tank for a cheaper price and the installation is easier than before!

With the new production it could not be helped that the capacity of the new tank is a bit more less than the old one. Nevertheless the Rick’s V-Rod tank has a capacity of 18,5 liter / 4,88 gal. Which are about 4,65 liter more than the OEM V-Rod tank. So you have a higher range of roughly 32 – 35%.

For the OEM tank up to 2006, Harley-Davidson states a capacity of 14 liter, but the Rick’s Team tested an OEM tank and only 13,8 fits into it. So it seems that the tank has even not the 14 liter!

In the last months we received a lot of questions from our customers which we want to answer to you, to show the advantages of the Rick’s V-Rod tank:

1. The ignition switch and the opening mechanism of the seat can remain at the original place.

2. The alarm system can remain at the original place, no modifications necessary.

3. All electric parts, fuel lines, tank filler cap, fuel pump and fuel filter can remain original.

4. The ground clearance is not lower than with the OEM tank.

5. No welding on the frame necessary. You only have to cut off a piece of the skid plate and replace it
with the Rick’s skid plate.

6. The tank fits to all V-Rod models up to 2006 (all models with a 14l OEM gas tank!)

7. The tank can be used with all tyre sizes up to 300 mm.
With original tyres, no further modifications necessary!

8. A skilled mechanic can install the tank within 4 hours.

9. An installation instruction (with pictures) and all necessary parts are included.

Ricks offer a special price ( USD 599.- incl. UPS shipping ) on every order until 15th of february for all US costomers.
Delivery time is between 10 to 12 working days.

Attention!!! for all copy shops!!!! the part is patented!! so be far away from the Ricks tank !!

DSC06849.JPG

DSC06857.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Those are really good differences to know and consider. I didn't realize there was very little modifications to the bike other than simply replacing the plate. Thank you for breaking it down.

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
im with yea Kev

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The tanks made by Ricks and Trick are very similar but they may have a great deal of differences as well. When you figure the cost of anything I think labor is going to make a huge difference. I have one of Ricks tanks on the way and was one of the beta testers of Tricks tanks. So while I can't say anything about Tricks tank at this time I will be able to give you a comparison of the two tanks very soon. Well that is after everything is announced by Trick since we all signed a non disclosure agreement.

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
Jerry226 said:
This isn't the tank we are suppose to get for 300.00 is it
No...it's the other one. But the $300 tank required the additional purchase of a skid plate, key relocation kit, and I think one of other item. If I remember correctly, on Trick's thread about the tank, someone had stated total cost to get everything would be about $500 and they were already back-ordered. I could be wrong on this...been awhile since I reviewed that thread. Someone help me out here...back me up or correct me on this please.

·
a/k/a Wizard
270 Posts
Patented?

wheeldesigner said:

In some internet websites this part is called a “Trick Tank”…. but it is not a trick, its just Rick’s!!

Attention!!! for all copy shops!!!! the part is patented!! so be far away from the Ricks tank !!
Please identify all issued patents that you allege cover this product by country and number. If no patents are issued, then please identify all pending patent applications by application number that you allege cover this product.

·
iTrader Technician
4,467 Posts
Not quite sure where you heard that Ricks tank is otherwise known as the "Trick Tank". The "Trick Tank" was designed by another forum member known as trickvrod. As I am also a beta tester for the "Trick Tank", I also cannot really talk about it.

As I have never really had hands on experience with Ricks Tank, I don't wanna say this guys is better than that guys or anything... I just wanted to clear up the fact that Ricks Tank is not the "Trick Tank". They are two different products and from what I've seen and heard they have two completely different install instructions, fuel capabilities, and prices.

BTW - Aren't you Rick??? And why do you keep referring to yourself in the third person? I don't mean any dis-respect, I think you have done a lot for the V-Rod, and I really like some of your products... I just don't like the fact that you made this post and didn't really identify yourself. You make it sound like you really have no ties to this tank, when in reality, you are the one to profit from it...

If you are not Rick, I appoligize, but I thought that I read in another post that Rick recently joined this forum under the handle of "wheeldesigner".

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
gmcacauley, this probably isn't Rick. Rick doesn't speak very good english and this most likely is one of his employees.

·
Banned
2,313 Posts
wheeldesigner said:

Worldwide and with a lot of spectacular and unique developments for the V-Rod, since the first day when the V-Rod entered the Harley world… just Rick’s!

As a result of the high demand on the tank, Rick’s decided to change the type of production. High investments in new tools and new developments… Rick’s spent a lot of money to improve the tank!
With this new kind of production Ricks increased the quantity and the quality of the tank and we are now able to deliver the tank within a few days to the whole world. From a handmade tank to an industrial production!
A further advantage of this is that we can now supply the tank for a cheaper price and the installation is easier than before!

With the new production it could not be helped that the capacity of the new tank is a bit more less than the old one. Nevertheless the Rick’s V-Rod tank has a capacity of 18,5 liter / 4,88 gal. Which are about 4,65 liter more than the OEM V-Rod tank. So you have a higher range of roughly 32 – 35%.

For the OEM tank up to 2006, Harley-Davidson states a capacity of 14 liter, but the Rick’s Team tested an OEM tank and only 13,8 fits into it. So it seems that the tank has even not the 14 liter!

In the last months we received a lot of questions from our customers which we want to answer to you, to show the advantages of the Rick’s V-Rod tank:

1. The ignition switch and the opening mechanism of the seat can remain at the original place.

2. The alarm system can remain at the original place, no modifications necessary.

3. All electric parts, fuel lines, tank filler cap, fuel pump and fuel filter can remain original.

4. The ground clearance is not lower than with the OEM tank.

5. No welding on the frame necessary. You only have to cut off a piece of the skid plate and replace it
with the Rick’s skid plate.

6. The tank fits to all V-Rod models up to 2006 (all models with a 14l OEM gas tank!)

7. The tank can be used with all tyre sizes up to 300 mm.
With original tyres, no further modifications necessary!

8. A skilled mechanic can install the tank within 4 hours.

9. An installation instruction (with pictures) and all necessary parts are included.

Ricks offer a special price ( USD 599.- incl. UPS shipping ) on every order until 15th of february for all US costomers.
Delivery time is between 10 to 12 working days.

Rick, I really don’t understand all this mudslinging. Why would an established guy feel so threatened that he has to act like this? I just don’t understand. You make great stuff, why all the hate?

Congratulations, You have a good looking kit there.
Also looks like you’ve taken several of the features that we designed and showed the world and incorporated it into your new tank. That’s nicely done.
Oh, by the way, ours is patent pending too. :)

Make your kit, put it on the market and let the consumers decide. Why do you have to be insulting? We are not a ‘copy shop’, in 2004 we took an original concept and developed it. I personally had the need for a larger tank and have designed and built one.
I’ve never even seen a Rick tank, how could it be a copy? That’s a goofy accusation.

As to your bullet points…

1. I hated the ignition in it’s stock location under my butt. I think others feel the same way. So I moved it and I don’t regret it, the primary reason to move it wasn’t the tank, it was that I hated it where it was. And um, we leave the seat latch mechanism in the stock location too.
2. Moving the alarm is no big deal.
3. All the electric parts stay the same for us too.
4. Ground clearance is the same as stock. We don't make you cut the stock skidplate, you can always form it back the way it was stock if you ever want to go back.
5. No welding on the frame is needed either.
6. Yup, same here.
7. No probs there either.
8. 2-4 hours is what we figure. It’s really a pretty easy job.
9. We’ve got some pretty nice instructions with pictures too. Would anyone even consider releasing a kit w/o instructions? :eek:

As to delivery, we shipped a small batch and are still on track to begin filling orders at the end of January.

Rick there's more than enough vrods out there for both of us. I would respectfully suggest that you stop all this groundless mudslinging and concentrate on business. That’s what I’m doing and I have no interest in throwing insults or mudslinging.

Good luck with your project, I wish you all the best.

·
tomsrod
191 Posts
Max said:
gmcacauley, this probably isn't Rick. Rick doesn't speak very good english and this most likely is one of his employees.
Max we got a lot of people here in the USA that can not speak to good of english, What differance does it make where you live or what you do. As long as you enjoy life and have fun.

·
a/k/a Wizard
270 Posts
MegaZ said:
Trick's is different than Rick's, so the patent issue is moot.
A patent lawyer would advise differently. If the patent claims are sufficiently broad, there could be a problem. And patent claims are generally broader than the individual item that resulted in the filing of the patent application.

·
a/k/a Wizard
270 Posts
tomsrod said:
Max we got a lot of people here in the USA that can not speak to good of english, What differance does it make where you live or what you do. As long as you enjoy life and have fun.
Some people enjoy dismembering small animals and other things that the majority of people consider reprehensible. (Apparently, there's also at least one entire gummint agency devoted to populating part of Cuba with people that don't share my definition of "fun".)

·
iTrader Technician
4,467 Posts
Max said:
Max, if you are right I apologize... Just like I said in my post... I don't wanna throw stones, as I know how it is to own and run your own business...

I saw this quote on the 10 Jan (http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54144&highlight=wheeldesigner),
Max said:
I'm guessing this is Rick. Welcome and thanks for all you do to help make the extreme customs you do.

Max
and this quote early this morning (http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54801&highlight=wheeldesigner),
bproulxvrod said:
That has to get the award for the most post/watched video on the forum, but I still watch it and love it everytime That is Rick from Rick's Wheels in Germany and that is an Eagle built motor that Rick picked up at the Breathless booth in Daytona back in '05. A real cool guy. Also he joined the forum a week or so ago and his user name is wheeldesigner I believe.
I never saw a thread that stated otherwise, so I assumed that wheeldesigner was in fact Rick. Again I apologize, but I do think that this member does have ties to Rick due to this post (http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54144&highlight=wheeldesigner)
wheeldesigner said:
I `m self posted the first time...what any other people do.. I did not know..
regards
and the fact that the individual has 3 posts and they are all about Rick's. I really have a problem with individuals that mis-represent themselves for their own gain...

Again, if I am wrong, I apologize! I don't really mean any harm, I just want to make people aware of the facts.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
gmccauley, I'm not saying it's not Rick. What I can say is I have been in talks with Ricks for several weeks about sponsorship of the site and also about his tanks. From the emails we have exchanged now I don't believe this is Rick because the translation is much better. Trust me nothing about Robins tanks has been in the subject because of the agreement I have with Robin. I am however interested in Ricks tank as well and that was my reason for wanting to see one first hand. So with that said I have a tank coming from Rick and will do an install of his tank just to compare the differences. The bottom line is the members are the ones that will benefit with a greater choice with different options. IMHO

1 - 20 of 237 Posts