Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be naive, but to me lane splitting is the most dangerous thing I have heard discussed here, I think you must have some screws loose to do this, and furthermore what gives you the right to move ahead of everyone else waiting in traffic, just don't get it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
It's so easy....
186 Posts
Well, it depends.

What gives me the right is that the State of California says I can. Now, do I do it when traffic is moving 60? No. But I'll absolutely do it when traffic isn't moving or is going 10. But you have to be extra alert for idiots lane shifting to get that one car length.

It's not dangerous if it's done right and extra attention is paid. Where the problem comes in is from people who are not from here and don't know about it who are paying no attention to anything outside their little box. They tend to wander into your area of travel.

Now, the reasoning falls into the same realm as HOV lanes. You are riding a motorcycle, which gets better fuel mileage than a car and is designed to transport just one or two people, so you are not wasting extra resources and therefore have the special privilege of getting in front of everyone who isn't. It's the same thinking with hybrids, electric vehicles and motorcycles being able to use the HOV lanes with only one person.

Just my $.02.

·
House of Chaos Ruler
95 Posts
I have been rear-ended twice in traffic. One was just a bent rim and but the other one had major frame damage. Lane splitting would have prevented both these accidents.

They changed the law in Texas, so now lane splitting isn't illegal but there are other laws that make it illegal to drive down the center stripe between lanes or the solid lines outside of lanes. So we can still get a ticket for splitting just not for actually lane splitting. Makes perfect sense...

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
I must be naive, but to me lane splitting is the most dangerous thing I have heard discussed here, I think you must have some screws loose to do this
Depends how good you are at riding a motorbike and how good your hazard perception is .....

and furthermore what gives you the right to move ahead of everyone else waiting in traffic, just don't get it.
This one's easy - because I can get through the gap and the cars cannot.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I agree it can be a dangerous thing. I've seen a handful of near misses when cars suddenly dart out to change lanes while a bike is speeding up the middle. Surprised a couple didn't biff it.

On the other hand, its up to the person to take on that risk. I think bikes should be able to do it, albeit safely, because if it weren't allowed, they'd most likely be another idiot stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic getting nowhere causing even more of a headache.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
OP needs to educate himself. Shame on you.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,367 Posts
I did it once in England. I was on way to the Liverpool Ferry to go to IoM TT races and follwing a friend, native. Riding on the main motorway coming into Liverpool at afternoon rush hour for about 15 miles threading cars and trucks with a bike that felt a meter wide was one of the scariest things I've done on a bike.

I do have to say that it's legal there and the auto drivers are pretty obliging.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
I did it once in England. I was on way to the Liverpool Ferry to go to IoM TT races and follwing a friend, native. Riding on the main motorway coming into Liverpool at afternoon rush hour for about 15 miles threading cars and trucks with a bike that felt a meter wide was one of the scariest things I've done on a bike.

I do have to say that it's legal there and the auto drivers are pretty obliging.
Heh - it's the English way. If we're unable to do something then we don't see why others who can do something should be prevented from doing so :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Heh - it's the English way. If we're unable to do something then we don't see why others who can do something should be prevented from doing so :)
Ha! Just the opposite of most drivers over here.
"If I can't do it, you shouldn't be able to either."

·
EXCELSIOR
8,367 Posts
Ha! Just the opposite of most drivers over here.
"If I can't do it, you shouldn't be able to either."
Two different nations, two different attitudes. Here you would have people cutting you off or opening their doors as you approach.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
I lane split all the time. I feel more safer when I lane-split than just sit in middle of snail moving traffic.

Just don't go too fast in lane split than the flow of traffic, I would say 5mph to 10 mph faster than the flow of traffic.

I can post my video of me doing the lane splitting in I-495, the worst highway of all time. They love tailgating and that's the standard driving on I-495 and I-95 and all over DC/VA/MD region. Tailgating is more dangerous than lane splitting.

·
Premium Member
10,796 Posts
I lived in Europe for years. They call it filtering. Perfectly legal. If traffic stops, bikes move forward, so cars can que up. The sooner we as Americans accept
Motorcycles as transportation, and not as toys, the sooner we get laws changed! Joe

·
Pot hole locator
220 Posts
I would say it is up to the rider to assess the situation. Its not legal to split lanes in Mi (as far as I know) but given the general stupidity of the drivers I encounter I would be reluctant to try it anyway.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I do this every day. The first few times were crazy but you get used to it.

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
It is the norm in SE Asia. Like others have said, done smartly it is not an issue. I have lane split in Manila and even with the cars making 5 lanes out of a 4 lane road, I was still able to squeak thru the barely moving parking lot of vehicles.

After reading some of these comments, it appears to me that the U.S. is behind in this type of activity. Most likely due to the wide open spaces of the U.S. and less percentage of motorcyclists on the road. Over here it sometimes seems like there are 10 motorcycles for every vehicle on the road.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts