Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you midwest riders ever considered riding around Lake Michigan? I've always wanted to do that (not sure why :) ) If any of you midwesters are interested maybe we could do a group ride. Needs to warm a bit first.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
My dad did it in'37 on a 4 cylinder Henderson. I think most of the roads (with the possible exception of a couple in the UP,) have improved since then. Scenery, on the other hand, is probably not.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Me and the wife did the Lake Superior circle tour last year and considered doing the Lake Michigan tour this year, but probably will just do the Lake Superior tour again with a modified route.

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
I went over the Lake (Michigan) during Memorial Day weekend in '96. Was a spur-of-the moment ride... left on Saturday afternoon heading north through central Wisconsin and got back home mid-day Monday. Temps were in the high 50's/low 60's at best but the bright sunshine made it quite comfortable. Ran into some Chicago friends while passing through Marquette, and stumbled over a really nifty local place for breakfast near PawPaw. Mmmmmmmm... blueberry pancakes! "Non-branded" motels were abundant and inexpensive.

I'd like to do that trip again (perhaps not so early in the year) and spend some more time meandering around the U.P.

·
Registered
136 Posts
We did the Lake Superior ride last year in mid July, and the weather was great, but I've also seen it snow in the UP on July 4, so you never know when you could hit a cold front coming down.

If you ever get a chance to do the Lake Superior ride take it 1400 miles of some of the best senic views you have ever seen, much better than Lake Michigan IMHO. Nice thing about the Lake Superior ride is the biggest city is Marquette, ~ 35000.

There are some good web site that discuss the each of the great lakes and circle routes around them, the vast majority are about Michigan and Superior.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts