Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about 6'-2", and like most taller riders, have been looking for ways to stretch out a bit. I decided that I would try the swing wing foot pegs from Kuryakyn. Worst case, I would put them on the back and give my wife a little more leg room. At 5'-7", she is is a bit cramped on the back, too.

My first impression...these things are too big. None the less, I'll give them a shot. So, I rode this morning for about 50 miles. Here is what I liked and didn't like (BTW, I have the stock seat and a 34" inseam):

Positive:
1. Comfortable when "wing" is extended (advertised to give about a 3" extension). I could almost straighten my legs out completely.
2. I could drape my leg over the normal part of the pegs and the "wing" acted as a hook so that my leg could rest and wouldn't slide off of the end of the peg. This was great on the highway with no traffic. I would never do this with cars around, way too dangerous to do in traffic. This was the most relaxing position for cruising.
3. With the "wing" closed, I had a lot more surface area to rest my foot and heel on.
4. Pegs are chrome with black rubber and pretty much fits with any chrome scheme. They seem pretty sturdy.
5. The angle of the pegs can be adjusted, like any others, so I will be messing around with the position to see what feels the best.
6. Flexibility to convert the ride from cruising to standard pegs (for better control and riding position in curves) without having to physically change the set up.

Negative:
1. The looks (IMHO). I think that they look a little bulky for the V. Secondly, with the "wing" extended, the pegs look like they stick out too far.
2. Whether opened or closed, the "wing" locks into position. This means that you need your hands to open or close it. Easy enough to do at a traffic light, but you obviously can't do it while riding.
3. When the "wing" is out, I feel like I'm going to drag it on a sharp curve. Probably will with any good amount of mileage.
4. Not use to having a peg under my heel. It is comfortable, but does vibrate my foot at higher revs.
5. Fairly expensive, but not too bad given the other extension alternatives.

In summary, if I were planning to take the bike to a show, I would go back to my old chrome pegs, but if I were planning on taking it out for a good long ride, I would definitely go with the swing wings for comfort.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
never had a problem with any of them

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Krappyakan parts?
:confused: Can't really say. I have the passenger peg mounts, which are great and I have these foot pegs. I guess that overall I just don't have enough experience with Kuryakyn to say whether or not they make bad products.

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
i suppose kury is hit or miss as i have several of parts from them and never had any chrome or functioning issues, but some people have. Glad to hear about these pegs and i was thinking about these, but went with the switchblades. its weird yours lock into place mine dont and i can open or close them on the fly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts