Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As reported in the Daytona thread, I somehow lost the rubber piece at the end of my left Switchblade, as well as a nut on a longish bolt there (probably which held the rubber part on). I e-mailed Kuryakin, and they gave me a phone number. (715-247-2184). The guy who answered was apologetic for the part loss, and he actually went out to the warehouse and found replacement rubber parts, and is mailing them to me, no charge!
I did mention the forum, and the fact that I have their turn signal mirrors, mini boards and peg extenders, in addition to the switchblades. But they were great to deal with. :cheers:

·
1,738 Posts
Daniii: Did you happen to ask about the sticking open phenom?? Curious if they admit to it.

Fred

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am about to decided to replace them with HD's pegs and heel rests. Have not installed the switchblades, yet, your intial comments sort of putting me off in keeping them, considering the problems that were encountered. Has anyone had them one with no problems?? All I have heard up to now is, sticks open have to take appart and grease them, rubble falls off, does not feel sturdy and if weight is applied to the heel rest it move the peg. Sounds discouraging to me!

Michel

V-Fred said:
Daniii: Did you happen to ask about the sticking open phenom?? Curious if they admit to it.

Fred

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He did mention he had heard about the "sticking open" problem. And that white grease seems to cure it. I haven't tried loc-tite on the pivot, but that might keep them in place. I think the HD stirrup is probably a more robust solution. I'm glad they are sending me the parts, though. Their other stuff seems pretty good.

·
1,738 Posts
Michel: Only problem I had was the sticking, and it was solved easily. As for the rotating when pressure is applied to stirrups, this would happen with the HD heel rests, you just have to crank them down securely. I like better them than most pegs just as pegs, and the heel rest is just a bonus on long road trips, which frankly is the only time you need them. The rest of the time you don't have them hanging down like fixed heel rests. I still think if you try them you will like them. Daniii is probably scraping the pegs at 85MPH plus around all those twisties in Texas and that is why things are coming loose.

Fred :laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Final report: Kruyakin, true to their word, shipped me, no charge, a replacement set of rubber for my switchblades. Turns out, there is a nut embedded in the end piece, that apparently holds everything together. I bought a set of ganged folding i-p allen wrenches (I was missing a critical one), and put everything together in a couple of minutes.
The stuck heelrest was a different story. I tried to remove the allen bolt that holds everything together, but was unable to do so (stripped allen socket, impact wrenches, dremel cut slots notwithstanding). So I resorted to wd-40, and I was able to unstick it. I lubricated it with some heavy duty grease, and it works smoothly now. (But its never coming abart)
Following Sunday's ride, I discovered that on the freeway the heel rests are great. On the twisties, however, I fold them in, as I like being able to feel the ground with my heel on the tight turns. They are keepers.

·
1,738 Posts
Danii: told you would like them. At least once their minor problems are corrected and you become accustomed to them. They are not perfect, but they work well enough (once greased), and they are comfortable as just pegs. I do wish that extra half inch or so you lose in a lean due to the little ball on the bottom that is used to open the stirrips was available in the corners. However, it probably saves the chrome finish.

Fred

1 - 8 of 8 Posts