Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Russia, I am sorry for language.

Problem such - at sharp braking unitary knock in a forward wheel. These are floating brake disks knock about a wheel because of small movement. Such knock it is normal on a Harley?

Thanks for answers.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
On your 02 when do you get the knock?

Is it when you first apply the brakes with the lever?
or
Is it after the brakes grap and the front of the bike dives down from the weight transfer?

Have you checked how much is left on the pads/

Are the calipers tight?

How clean are they?

When you pull the brake lever bake is it tight right at first or pulls in a little bit before the brakes grabs the rotors?

Sorry for the questions just trying yto get more info. Lift the front of the bike on a lift and try and see if you get the same sound and where it is coming from.

rsc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On your 02 when do you get the knock?

Is it when you first apply the brakes with the lever?
or
Is it after the brakes grap and the front of the bike dives down from the weight transfer?

Have you checked how much is left on the pads/

Are the calipers tight?

How clean are they?

When you pull the brake lever bake is it tight right at first or pulls in a little bit before the brakes grabs the rotors?

Sorry for the questions just trying yto get more info. Lift the front of the bike on a lift and try and see if you get the same sound and where it is coming from.

rsc
Forward wheel hung out, knock because of mobility of disks........... When sharply you press a brake.

On a photo this place отмеченно a green arrow.

Other problems there aren't present, have checked up.

Before I had only Japanese motorcycles and such knock there wasn't.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
green arrow...

Front rotor bolts tighten to 16-23 ft lbs.

When these bolts are tight the rotor will not move.

These bolts should not hit anything.

How are the brake pads?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
I doubt that it's the rotor moving also. The floating attachments only allow the rotor to move sideways not in the direction of rotation.

I would suspect the steering head bearing adjustment (check "fall away") or a loose upper triple clamp nut (the "clunk").

Here are a few threads about the "clunk" (there are many more):

Clunk thread 1
Clunk thread 2
Clunk thread 3

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Friends, the reason of knock to me is accurately clear.

This movement of disks forward-back, 1 millimeter.

Disks knock on bolts. At normally tightened bolts, rings clamping too stand.

This movement can be made even hands and to hear this knock.

Wheel has disassembled, visible deterioration of bolts and disks isn't present.

To correct I think as?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Friends, the reason of knock to me is accurately clear.

This movement of disks forward-back, 1 millimeter. ...
I haven't had the stock wheels on my bike since 2003 so someone with those wheels will have to respond. I'll look at them this weekend but 1 mm of motion forward and back as you indicate is way too much. I know the current floating disks I have don't move that much.

The service manual doesn't list a specification for this kind of disk motion. The only specifications listed are minimum disk thickness (stamped on disk) and lateral runout or wobble, listed as 0.3 mm = 0.012".

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Sounds like you have the wrong bolts installed. Does it knock on both rotors?
I noticed on my 2003 the front rotors have a different bolt than the rear rotor. Maybe someone has mixed them up. The front bolts should hold that rotor firm with no play forward or backward.

Attached is a picture of the bolt hole and the bolt. The lip pointed to by the arrow fits firmly into the hole in the wheel snugly up against the rotor. No way for movement.
The part number for the bolt is 3762M. There is an spring washer on the bolt used for the "floating" part of the rotors. It's the black ring just above the arrow on the bolt. It's part number is 6966M.

Sorry for the poor image.

Attachments

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
Sounds like you have the wrong bolts installed. Does it knock on both rotors?
I noticed on my 2003 the front rotors have a different bolt than the rear rotor. Maybe someone has mixed them up. The front bolts should hold that rotor firm with no play forward or backward.

Attached is a picture of the bolt hole and the bolt. The lip pointed to by the arrow fits firmly into the hole in the wheel snugly up against the rotor. No way for movement.
The part number for the bolt is 3762M. There is an spring washer on the bolt used for the "floating" part of the rotors. It's part number is 6966M.

Sorry for the poor image.
:them:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for a discussion of my theme.

Removed unnecessary movement drives, knocking disappeared.

Discs finalized a little bit. Welding machine and whetstone apparatus COX:)

Спасибо !

·
EXCELSIOR
8,477 Posts
It has been my experience that the early bikes with the HD calipers, mine included, that the pad retaining pin holes have enough slop in them that some times when the brakes are first applied they shift hard against the pins and cause a clunking sound.
This can be checked easily by sitting on the bike at rest, rolling backwards a few inches and applying the brake, then roll forward a few inches and apply it again. During the second forward application is when I notice this. It is very distinct.
There is really nothing that can be done for it and it does not affect how the brakes work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts